annelizabeth

Citizenship and I-9 employment verification

12 posts in this topic

I work in HR and our company is being bought out. The new owners have instructed me to ensure that everyone fills out a new I-9. I employ lots of aliens and am used to working with all the various forms of allowable documentation.

One of my employees was very recently naturalized and cannot provide the necessary docs because:- A.they took his 'green card' off him during his naturalization; B. He didn't apply for a US passport because he has no intention of ever returning to his homeland and C. he never bothered to have his SSN card replaced with an unrestricted one when he was a PR.

USCIS removed the naturalization certificate from the list of acceptable documents, so he is stymied. And we only have 3 days to process the i-9s.

Moral of the story? Make sure you get the restrictions removed from your SSN card!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-9 stipulates, that a SSN card without the disclaimer and a photo ID like driver's license is acceptable evidence of employment. (List B item 1, and list C item 1) http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf Or if they have a US passport, it is in List A item 1

A person can get an unrestricted SSN card and should have done that when they got their green-card, they should report any change of immigrations status to SSA. NON-Immigrant --> Immigrant --> Citizen.

If they entered USA on an immigrant visa like IR-1 or CR-1 they will have an unrestricted SSN card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe the PR now USC should re-consider, as a passport is for any international travel not just a return to the "motherland".

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

if he does not plan to get a passport, he could consider getting a wallet size passport card that he can bring along with him. and yeah, that's a wake up call for those who does not update their bio after some changes in their immigration status.. :yes:

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Maybe the PR now USC should re-consider, as a passport is for any international travel not just a return to the "motherland".

Poor lad doesn't earn enough to travel! Dammit, they never even take time off but prefer to get their meagre vacation paid out.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Dec 27 NOA1

June 13 applied for SSN

AOS 2005

Removing Conditions 2007

Naturalization 2008

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
USCIS removed the naturalization certificate from the list of acceptable documents,

Makes sense since the USCIS issued that certificate themselves, and obliviously they don't trust themselves.

But they will accept an unrestricted SS card? The only way he can get that is to show the SS office his naturalization certificate, but since that is dependent on showing the SS his naturalization certificate, why would the USCIS trust that?

And the only way you can get a US passport through the Department of State is to send in the original naturalization certificate, without that, you are dead meat, so if the passport is dependent on the naturalization certificate, why would the USCIS accept that?

Is it possible that the USCIS is smoking crack?

You must live in a state, like WI that serves severe fines to employees for hiring undocumented personnel. So why can't this fellow just check a box stating that he is a USC? That is all our state requires to obtain a driver's license or to register to vote. They don't even want to see the naturalization certificate, but strange, do want to see a green card. Maybe the leaders of our state are also smoking crack.

Maybe instead of trying to reason their thinking, we should join them, and smoke crack too. But for now, think I will soak my head in a bucket of ice water, before my brain explodes. We must elect our officials because we feel sorry for them, because they are too stupid to do anything else.

USCIS removed the naturalization certificate from the list of acceptable documents,

Makes sense since the USCIS issued that certificate themselves, and obliviously they don't trust themselves.

But they will accept an unrestricted SS card? The only way he can get that is to show the SS office his naturalization certificate, but since that is dependent on showing the SS his naturalization certificate, why would the USCIS trust that?

And the only way you can get a US passport through the Department of State is to send in the original naturalization certificate, without that, you are dead meat, so if the passport is dependent on the naturalization certificate, why would the USCIS accept that?

Is it possible that the USCIS is smoking crack?

You must live in a state, like WI that serves severe fines to employees for hiring undocumented personnel. So why can't this fellow just check a box stating that he is a USC? That is all our state requires to obtain a driver's license or to register to vote. They don't even want to see the naturalization certificate, but strange, do want to see a green card. Maybe the leaders of our state are also smoking crack.

Maybe instead of trying to reason their thinking, we should join them, and smoke crack too. But for now, think I will soak my head in a bucket of ice water, before my brain explodes. We must elect our officials because we feel sorry for them, because they are too stupid to do anything else.

Sure, it's possible the USCIS is smoking crack, but there's at least the possibility of a little bit of logic behind the madness.

Note that for an I-9, the documents establishing identity and eligibility are only shown to the employer. They don't get inspected by a USCIS agent or anyone else from the government.

So the whole I-9 process is only as good as the ability of an employer to spot a fake document. And the employer doesn't necessarily have a huge motivation to find fakes.

Not all employers are well trained in spotting fakes of each type of document. Small employers who only take on a few employees per year may never have a chance to see some of the types of documents they're in charge of validating.

Remember before your wife got a certificate, you were asking what the certificate looked like, and what size it was? It's hard to find info about what a naturalization certificate is supposed to look like, so unless you'd seen one before, how would you go about determining the authenticity of one?

When you use a naturalization certificate in order to get a social security card, driver's license, or passport, the person who examines your naturalization certificate IS a government employee who sees naturalization certificates frequently, and who has experience and training in spotting a fake.

It's similar to the idea that, if a stranger wanted to pay me in foreign currency, I'd refuse, even if they volunteered to cover the cost of currency exchange back to US dollars. The reason I'd refuse is because I have no way of telling genuine foreign bank notes from fake ones. But I DO know how to spot counterfeit US Currency. So I'd tell them to exchange the currency themselves, and bring me back the stuff I know and am familiar with.

You can reasonably argue whether the naturalization certificate should be on the I-9 list, and whether certain documents that ARE on the list ought to be taken off. But it's probably wise that the I-9 list should be a fairly short list of fairly common documents.

Edited by lucyrich

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

I work in HR and our company is being bought out. The new owners have instructed me to ensure that everyone fills out a new I-9. I employ lots of aliens and am used to working with all the various forms of allowable documentation.

One of my employees was very recently naturalized and cannot provide the necessary docs because:- A.they took his 'green card' off him during his naturalization; B. He didn't apply for a US passport because he has no intention of ever returning to his homeland and C. he never bothered to have his SSN card replaced with an unrestricted one when he was a PR.

USCIS removed the naturalization certificate from the list of acceptable documents, so he is stymied. And we only have 3 days to process the i-9s.

Moral of the story? Make sure you get the restrictions removed from your SSN card!

I-9 shoud stay with the company, so there is no reason for not giving addition days to get US passport or other means.

Usually SSN card plus US driving license should be enough.

He/she should have unrestricted SSN card when he/she got Permanent Resident Card, A.K.A. I-551.

Then all he/she should do is stopping by Social Security Office to update his/her information as US Citizen.

There is no change in SSN card itself, but SSA will update their record, so anybody using E-Verify can see his/her legal status as US Citizen.

But what I'm wondering is why your new employer is asking to renew I-9 ?

I-9 should be kept in HR files, and it should stay there for 3 years from employment start date.

Employees with more than 3 years working history doesn't need to submit I-9 to thier employer.

That's my understanding.

Maybe something was changed after I read I-9 information.

I went through current I-9.

It said it should be filed when employee is hired.

Acquisition is not considered as new hiring from my understanding.

Also, I-9 said employer should check the employee's working authorization within 3 days of work starting day.

If employee can not provide the required documentation, he/she can provide the receipt of application for required documentation, then provide the required documentation within 90 days.

So I think he/she have enough time to get US passport.

For naturalized US Citizen, US passport is not just travel document.

It is also convenient method to prove that you are US citizen.

It is not easy to carry "the certificate of naturalization" everywhere you need, and if you lost it, it cost a lot.

Timeline

Also, I-9 said employer should check the employee's working authorization within 3 days of work starting day.

If employee can not provide the required documentation, he/she can provide the receipt of application for required documentation, then provide the required documentation within 90 days.

It is not easy to carry "the certificate of naturalization" everywhere you need, and if you lost it, it cost a lot.

Have to remember we are talking about employment by those legal to work in this country, either by a work visa of some type, an EAD card, a green card, or a USC, are their other ways? Understand their are temporary work permits granted of pickers and other such jobs Americans do not want to do.

Of all the documents, the easiest to counterfeit is the SS card, and prior to around December 2007, at least in our state, the only thing one needed to get a driver's license was an SS card, with no way of the DMV officer knowing whether it was legal or counterfeit, age was a guess on his part, but should be able to tell the difference between a six year old or a 40 year old, the six year old would have to bring in a birth certificate. Our illegals here that have to renew their driver's license are dead meat in that they now need that EAD or PRC, those are not easy to counterfeit. the certificate of naturalization doesn't appear too easy to counterfeit either, at least not in a slop shop.

Nazi Germany during WWII conscripted a group of Russian and Jewish concentration prisoners that were successful in counterfeiting the English pound, needed money for their war effort. Was a greater effort to duplicate US paper currency, but they also succeeded in accomplishing that feat as well, but not very much was circulated as that war ended. Just saying in regards to counterfeiting, may be difficult for a small group of people to accomplish this, but certainly not for a country with vast resources. Was on the news we have at least 3,000 Chinese industrial spies in this country, even caught on by accident leaving O'Hare airport with about 6 million dollars worth of prints. And it's a constant battle for our treasury department to stay ahead of other countries that would like to print our money. Perhaps another reason for inflation and have heard about counterfeits in excess of billions of dollars, but have no idea how they come up with these estimates.

I feel our greatest defense for this country is to really be a melting pot of all cultures, nationalities, and races, and to be nice. Feel at times we are making enemies when we don't have to that will really cause us grief.

I argued till I was blue in the face that acquisition did not constitute new hiring but the company lawyers overrode me. Maybe the new owners don't trust us not to have been employing illegals. I know for certain that 100% of my employees are legal. LOL maybe they were worried that I wasn't legal! Now there's an interesting situation - I have to sign my own I-9 as the employer!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Dec 27 NOA1

June 13 applied for SSN

AOS 2005

Removing Conditions 2007

Naturalization 2008

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Timeline

I argued till I was blue in the face that acquisition did not constitute new hiring but the company lawyers overrode me. Maybe the new owners don't trust us not to have been employing illegals. I know for certain that 100% of my employees are legal. LOL maybe they were worried that I wasn't legal! Now there's an interesting situation - I have to sign my own I-9 as the employer!

Could even ask why it's the employers responsibility to check that all people are here legally, shouldn't this be the responsibility of our overpriced government? Could ask, but won't get an answer. And as Lucyrich pointed out with a good counter argument, private industry is not trained to determine if a document is forged or not, or not even such a document exists. People in our state, both private and government never even heard of a one year extension notice, not to mention a I-551 stamp or a homemade I-94.

We may only represent 5% of the worlds population, but have the worlds largest military budget, shouldn't these guys be protecting our shores? Were you trained in the many work type documents? People in my wife's legal and HR department sure weren't. State passes a law with severe fines to employers, but doesn't back that law with education and training. Wonder if they are even enforcing it like so many other laws on our books. No wonder why many of our companies are leaving this country.

What are your odds of keeping your job after the acquisition? Big deal with takeovers, get rid of management and stretch out what they have.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.