Klomoises

Please help me understand this scenario.

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

What happens if you were supposed to apply to remove conditions on your conditonal GC, but you could not do that because you were still in the divorce process and during that 90 day period, instead of waiting for your divorce to be final, you travel outside of the country on that conditional green card without an extension letter? Will you be able to enter the US?

Hi everyone,

What happens if you were supposed to apply to remove conditions on your conditonal GC, but you could not do that because you were still in the divorce process and during that 90 day period, instead of waiting for your divorce to be final, you travel outside of the country on that conditional green card without an extension letter? Will you be able to enter the US?

Has the GC expired?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

It's not expired yet. It expires at the beginning of November. My concern is that the person has not sent any paperwork to lift conditions, therefore did not even receive an approval from USCIS to lift conditions and traveled with that green card and they do not have a letter of re-entry to do so. It is my understanding that when you have to send your paperwork to lift conditions 90 days prior to the actual expiration date on the card, in turn USCIS is supposed to send you an extension of for year if it is approved, and it is with the extension one can leave the country with the hope to come back. I hope I am clearer now.

Hi everyone,

Has the GC expired?

Edited by Klomoises

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If they have not filed to remove conditions by the time the green card expires and they are out of the country, they no longer have a valid PR status in the US. They will not be allowed back into the country as a PR as they have no longer have any right to be in the country. If they tried to enter as a visitor at that time, it is likely they would be seen as a immigration risk and probably denied admission.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

They normally send the extension letter {NOA1]} shortly after filing the I-751.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Timeline
as long as the person comes back before the green card expires they will be fine...

....so as long as you are back by November, you'll be allowed back in... they may ask you at the border though if you have started the lifting process yet... I know they did me and I still had a month to go before my GC expired.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.