Chilly

So why must I bother with this whole thing?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife if Mexican. She's visiting on a B2 (tourist) visa. Marriage was not the intent of getting the B2, she got her visa and visited the US (to see a mutual friend who is a Mexican here on work visa) before we ever met. Shortly after marriage we found out we would have a baby. Now I'm looking into the immigration stuff and it's really chapping my rear that it's so complicated for us to be together.

So why should I even bother? Is there any reason NCIS would care that a US citizen is married to a Mexican citizen, and that we come and go to visit each other as much as possible without over-staying our visas? She's going to have our baby this spring and it seems like there's going to be a big hassle with re-entry once we apply for the visa. So why bother until after the baby is born? It's my child so the baby has right to citizenship anyhow, regardless of where the birth takes place. She could go home for a while, then return after a few months so we could be together for the birth. Then she could go back home when we initiate the process. What's wrong with my thinking?

Thanks,

Chilly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Nothing wrong with your thinking, it COULD work well. However, there is always a chance of her being denied entry, especially now she is married to a USC and once she starts showing...

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I think the "showing" is going to more of a problem than anything.

It's probably better to start the petition process sooner than later.

If she has a valid tourist visa, and hasn't over-stayed, she probably won't have a problem...unless she starts

telling the immigration officer that she's married to a USC and carrying a USC baby.

She shouldn't lie at the point of entry, but all she needs to say is that she's visiting friends and family before she gives birth.

It's always a good idea if she has proof of ties to Mexico...bank account statement, lease, letter from job, etc.

Good Luck

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Nothing wrong with your thinking, it COULD work well. However, there is always a chance of her being denied entry, especially now she is married to a USC and once she starts showing...

I've read posts about being denied re-entry at POE while under a K visa. Haven't read anything about someone being denied reentry with a tourist visa. As far as anyone is concerned she's a Mexican married to an American with no intention to immigrate. No law against that as far as I can tell. Once one demonstrates some some intent to immigrate (i.e. K visa) they get all suspicious because they figure if/when they deny the application the applicant will not leave the country. The only downside I can see is that she'll have to leave for a couple months every once in a while. Just as well, she could probably use a break away from me every now and then. :hehe:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I've read posts about being denied re-entry at POE while under a K visa. Haven't read anything about someone being denied reentry with a tourist visa.

I have heard of revoked tourist visas when POE officers heard the tourist was married to a USC, but the cases I remember off-hand were all from Asia.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Anyone at any time can and will be denied entry to the US if the CBPs suspect that their ties to the US are stronger to the ties to their home country. Having a spouse in the US and being pregnant with spouse's child are strong ties than anything else she's got in Mexico as far as they're concerned, and even with a current and valid tourist visa, she can be denied entry. Doesn't matter if you've submitted petitions yet or not.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Having a spouse in the US and being pregnant with spouse's child are strong ties than anything else she's got in Mexico as far as they're concerned

Maybe if the officer at point of entry were to actually meet me in person he'd be wondering why she keeps coming back to the US. :devil:

Appreciate the advice. Keep me from being stupid.

I agree with justashooter... screw USCIS... keep the ball in your court or you'll suffer like all of us while USCIS plays poker with our $355 filing fees.

Adjust status or come back from Mexico before she shows and STAY here. You can easily have a valid medical reason for her overstaying her visa. Get a certified midwife to write it up for you (pregnancy, baby too young for travel, etc.)

keep her in the US and file for adjustment of status. don't let her go to mexico till she has her GC or other suitable docs as required by statute.

CR1

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-19

Touched : 2008-09-26

Touched : 2008-09-27(they work on saturdays?)

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-29

222 DAYS

CR2 (Our)daughter

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-06-27

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-26

89 DAYS

K3

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-29

173 DAYS

~~~NVC~~~

10-01-2008 NVC Case Recieved/Numbers Assigned

10-02-2008 NVC IIN Numbers Acquired after 14 tries. (take the "call after 10p" tup) it WORKS

10-04-2008 Paid AOS $70 AND sent DS-3032 by email (.pdf) and by MAIL

10-08-2008 AOS SHOWED AS PAID - AOS Docs Sent out

10-08-2008 IV FEE GENERATED then PAID

10-08-2008 SDQ CONSULATE GRANTS EXPEDITE REQUEST AND REQUESTS CASE

10-27-2008 SDQ INFORMS MY WIFE, TO PICK UP "OPEN INTERVIEW" PAPERS

10-28-2008 INTERVIEW PAPERS AND MEDICAL INST. RECIEVED

10-29-2008 MEDICAL DONE

11-04-2008 MEDICAL RESULTS RECIEVED

11-05-2008 INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

#-#-#### VISA/PASSPORT(S) RECEIVED

#-#-#### POE

TOTAL DAYS FORM PETITION TO INTERVIEW-260 DAYS or 8 months, 17 days

I think I've satisfied the spirit and the letter of the rule about changing status in-country. While we had figured on being married at some point we did not anticipate doing it so soon. I have no quarrel with USCIS or their policies, either. One can read lots of cases on this very forum where someone did someone dirty to get in-country. Imagine how many times it happens where both parties are in on the scam and we never hear about it. Who knows, maybe our economy will tank so badly that we'll be trying to keep people from leaving the US in a few years. Reminds me, I have to get going. I'm burying a school bus full of MREs and ammunition in the national forest this afternoon.

Chilly

The type of visa that you have has nothing to do with being denied entry.

It is US law that states that they presume that anyone entering the US is intending to immigrate. It is your job to prove that she does not intend to immigrate. This is why my wife was denied a B2 visa. Because as my wife, they felt there was a good chance that she would not return to her country. This was before we petitioned for her visa.

There are many people who are denied entry while using a visitor visa or the Visa waiver program, due to their ties to a US citizen.

I would apply for the Visa correctly, then just continue doing what you are doing until it is approved.

4-29-08 - Mailed I-130 & I-129F together to CSC

CSC

I-130 I-129F

5-01-08 - NOA1 5-02-08 - NOA1

5-04-08 - Touched 5-06-08 - Touched

5-05-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail 5-08-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail

5-14-08 - Touched 5-14-08 - Touched

5-20-08 - Touched

5-29-08 - NOA2................................5-29-08 - NOA2

5-30-08 - Touched............................5-30-08 - Touched

6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy..........6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy

NVC

6-05-08 - NVC rcvd, new # & IIN.......6-04-08 - NVC rcvd, new #

6-15-08 - NVC invoiced AOS..............6-09-08 - Shipped DHL to Bs. As.

6-15-08 - Paid AOS online..................6-11-08 - Dlvd to Embassy

6-15-08 - Sent DS-3032 email...........6-17-08 - Received e-mail Packet 3

6-17-08 - AOS shows PAID!!!............6-25-08 - Turnned in Packet 3

6-17-08 - Sent AOS pkg Fed Ex.........7-11-08 - Medical

6-23-08 - DS-3032 accepted..............8-14-08 - Interview!!!

6-26-08 - NVC says my I-864EZ is not original Signature (BS!!!)

6-28-08 - IV bill invoiced online.

7-01-08 - Paid IV Bill online

7-01-08 - Re-sent I-864EZ

7-02-08 - IV Bill show "Paid"

7-02-08 - NVC Received I-864EZ, again!!

7-03-08 - Sent DS-230 via FedEx.

7-03-08 - NVC recieves and enters new I-864EZ

7-07-08 - NVC receives and enters DS-230

7-16-08 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

8-14-08 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

8-19-08 - POE, Washington DC.

Negative... Steve y Jessica. "Intent" is an opinion in fact it can literally never be proven. Since it can not be proven and since he is genuinely in love with his wife they are a real couple, she met him in the US as a single woman and had nothing to do with him. Thats enough... She never came looking for a husband and even if she DID there is no proof. The only proof is in her mind and unless they tie her down and give her truth serum, it will stay as whatever he/she say it is. LUCKILY someone, some senate committe, some senator left that "loophole" there for a reason, maybe its a "check" against the stupid beauracracy they put us through. Who cares, just take advantage of it Chilly. You never know, whats gonna happen. I forsee a fee increase any day now. And this whole enormous backlog will just get worse. Get your wife here and keep her here. You can't fight any battles, you have no court to go to or any right to defend yourself if she is Mexico. Here in the US the ball is in your court. Play to WIN.

It is US law that states that they presume that anyone entering the US is intending to immigrate. It is your job to prove that she does not intend to immigrate. This is why my wife was denied a B2 visa. Because as my wife, they felt there was a good chance that she would not return to her country. This was before we petitioned for her visa.

There are many people who are denied entry while using a visitor visa or the Visa waiver program, due to their ties to a US citizen.

I would apply for the Visa correctly, then just continue doing what you are doing until it is approved.

CR1

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-19

Touched : 2008-09-26

Touched : 2008-09-27(they work on saturdays?)

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-29

222 DAYS

CR2 (Our)daughter

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-06-27

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-26

89 DAYS

K3

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-29

173 DAYS

~~~NVC~~~

10-01-2008 NVC Case Recieved/Numbers Assigned

10-02-2008 NVC IIN Numbers Acquired after 14 tries. (take the "call after 10p" tup) it WORKS

10-04-2008 Paid AOS $70 AND sent DS-3032 by email (.pdf) and by MAIL

10-08-2008 AOS SHOWED AS PAID - AOS Docs Sent out

10-08-2008 IV FEE GENERATED then PAID

10-08-2008 SDQ CONSULATE GRANTS EXPEDITE REQUEST AND REQUESTS CASE

10-27-2008 SDQ INFORMS MY WIFE, TO PICK UP "OPEN INTERVIEW" PAPERS

10-28-2008 INTERVIEW PAPERS AND MEDICAL INST. RECIEVED

10-29-2008 MEDICAL DONE

11-04-2008 MEDICAL RESULTS RECIEVED

11-05-2008 INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

#-#-#### VISA/PASSPORT(S) RECEIVED

#-#-#### POE

TOTAL DAYS FORM PETITION TO INTERVIEW-260 DAYS or 8 months, 17 days

Negative... Steve y Jessica. "Intent" is an opinion in fact it can literally never be proven. Since it can not be proven and since he is genuinely in love with his wife they are a real couple, she met him in the US as a single woman and had nothing to do with him. Thats enough... She never came looking for a husband and even if she DID there is no proof. The only proof is in her mind and unless they tie her down and give her truth serum, it will stay as whatever he/she say it is. LUCKILY someone, some senate committe, some senator left that "loophole" there for a reason, maybe its a "check" against the stupid beauracracy they put us through. Who cares, just take advantage of it Chilly. You never know, whats gonna happen. I forsee a fee increase any day now. And this whole enormous backlog will just get worse. Get your wife here and keep her here. You can't fight any battles, you have no court to go to or any right to defend yourself if she is Mexico. Here in the US the ball is in your court. Play to WIN.

I do not know what you are saying negative to!!!!!

THIS IS FACT!!!! Us LAW 214 (B), states, anybody entering the Unided States on a non-immigtant visa, B2 or whatever, including the Visa Waiver Program, is considered to be an intending immigrant!!! This person must prove that they do not intend to immigrate to be allowed to enter the United States.

I never said anything about how they met or married or anything. That makes no difference. Now, they are married. Period. When she enters the US on her B2 visa, she can be denied. Or when she tries to renew her B2 visa, she can be denied for the same reason my wife was denied a tourist visa. Because she is married to a US citizen, there is a strong likelyhood that she will want to remain in the US.

I do not see any problems if they petition for a spouse visa. I feel that is what they should do.

The OP asked if they should file a petition for a spouse visa or continue to just go back and fourth on a tourist visa. I feel they should petition for the spouse visa. Because there is a possibility that she could get refused entry into the US on her tourist visa at some point.

4-29-08 - Mailed I-130 & I-129F together to CSC

CSC

I-130 I-129F

5-01-08 - NOA1 5-02-08 - NOA1

5-04-08 - Touched 5-06-08 - Touched

5-05-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail 5-08-08 - Rcvd NOA1 in mail

5-14-08 - Touched 5-14-08 - Touched

5-20-08 - Touched

5-29-08 - NOA2................................5-29-08 - NOA2

5-30-08 - Touched............................5-30-08 - Touched

6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy..........6-02-08 - Rcvd NOA2 hardcopy

NVC

6-05-08 - NVC rcvd, new # & IIN.......6-04-08 - NVC rcvd, new #

6-15-08 - NVC invoiced AOS..............6-09-08 - Shipped DHL to Bs. As.

6-15-08 - Paid AOS online..................6-11-08 - Dlvd to Embassy

6-15-08 - Sent DS-3032 email...........6-17-08 - Received e-mail Packet 3

6-17-08 - AOS shows PAID!!!............6-25-08 - Turnned in Packet 3

6-17-08 - Sent AOS pkg Fed Ex.........7-11-08 - Medical

6-23-08 - DS-3032 accepted..............8-14-08 - Interview!!!

6-26-08 - NVC says my I-864EZ is not original Signature (BS!!!)

6-28-08 - IV bill invoiced online.

7-01-08 - Paid IV Bill online

7-01-08 - Re-sent I-864EZ

7-02-08 - IV Bill show "Paid"

7-02-08 - NVC Received I-864EZ, again!!

7-03-08 - Sent DS-230 via FedEx.

7-03-08 - NVC recieves and enters new I-864EZ

7-07-08 - NVC receives and enters DS-230

7-16-08 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

8-14-08 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

8-19-08 - POE, Washington DC.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree.

I think what you are contemplating will not be looked upon favorably by border agents. Too many people before you have pretended to do this and abused teh system.

I hope you figure it all out.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm burying a school bus full of MREs and ammunition in the national forest this afternoon.

Chilly

where's that then? So I know not to walk over it while I'm buggin' out. ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.