bluuu

US citizen entering US on foreign passport

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This is a "in theory" question so don't worry about replying in the usual lightning speed VJ manner.

I have dual citizenship (US/UK) and have always wondered about this...

What would happen if I entered the US on my UK passport? Would they make me do visa stuff? If so what if "overstayed" the visa limitations?

(e.g. US passport expired or lost)

Thanks for any input. For some reason I've never been able to let go of this question ever since I thought it up.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, it's illegal for you to do so.

That being the case, there is probably a proscribed penalty for doing this - no doubt a large fine and the potential for jail time.

They put your info into their computer when you try to enter - it is almost certain that you will "come up" as a naturalized citizen. When you do, they will ask to see your U.S. passport. If you don't have one, while you may not be denied entry, you can be cited for being in violation of the law.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This is a "in theory" question so don't worry about replying in the usual lightning speed VJ manner.

What would happen if I entered the US on my UK passport? Would they make me do visa stuff? If so what if "overstayed" the visa limitations?

Thanks for any input. For some reason I've never been able to let go of this question ever since I thought it up.

As a US Citizen you must enter the US on your US Passport, if your US passport is lost or stolen and you are outside the US then contact the nearest US Embassy, they can issue travel docs to allow you to enter.

If your US passport has expired and you are outside the US then again the US embasy will have a passport section that can help you.

Do not try and enter on a UK Passport. as far as the US is concerned you are a US citizen and nothing more and therefore must enter the US on a US Passport.

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country.

source

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

What happens is you enter the other country with the non US passport (to say save the hassle of visa's or registration), and you return to the US. At entry they check & usually as how long you have been gone for. They wont see the stamp of entry into a foreign country (as that would be in the non US passport), will this cause a problem?

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
What happens is you enter the other country with the non US passport (to say save the hassle of visa's or registration), and you return to the US. At entry they check & usually as how long you have been gone for. They wont see the stamp of entry into a foreign country (as that would be in the non US passport), will this cause a problem?

Not a problem and people travel with two passports all the time. If the country of your other citizenship required you to enter on that passport, what can possibly the USA say? They can only manage what happens at our borders.

In addition, with many people's passports (mine included), they could never find the most recent stamp unless I showed them where it might be.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Not a problem and people travel with two passports all the time. If the country of your other citizenship required you to enter on that passport, what can possibly the USA say? They can only manage what happens at our borders.

In addition, with many people's passports (mine included), they could never find the most recent stamp unless I showed them where it might be.

What if its to a country that doesn't require it, but I just choose not to be labeled as an "american" for safety purposes. still same theory?

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What if its to a country that doesn't require it, but I just choose not to be labeled as an "american" for safety purposes. still same theory?

Sure, how would they (The CBP) know the rules of all the countries around the world?

Just because you enter on a different passport automatically removes that "label". If I act like a local or maybe do not act like an American, how would they ever know what passport I arrived on.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Sure, how would they (The CBP) know the rules of all the countries around the world?

Just because you enter on a different passport automatically removes that "label". If I act like a local or maybe do not act like an American, how would they ever know what passport I arrived on.

:thumbs: that even works in countries where full-dual citizenship (holding original country's passport) is not permitted, such as India--as I can attest from having entered several times on Canadian passports (next year, I'm hoping to make my first attempt at entering with US passport and OCI certificate).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

:thumbs: that even works in countries where full-dual citizenship (holding original country's passport) is not permitted, such as India--as I can attest from having entered several times on Canadian passports (next year, I'm hoping to make my first attempt at entering with US passport and OCI certificate).

Kind of puts you in another state of limbo when you have to toss your green card into the basket at oath ceremony time, least the DOS is processing US passports a lot quicker now, was taking as much as six months a little over a year ago.

Wife has to use her foreign passport to get into her country that translates into keeping not one, but two passports current, neither is tax deductible.

Yeah, I can attest to having done this twice myself since becoming a USC

1) I entered Germany this year with my British passport in order to avoid the longer non EU passport queue.

2) I recently entered Brazil with my British passport in order to avoid having to get a visa, which they require for USC for political reasons!

Otherwise, I use the US passport for all my foreign travels.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

And what if i leave the country(just for a few days on vacation) with my passport expired(i'm russian married to american and i have a green card),will they let me do it and will i be able to reenter?

we are all of the same kind

And what if i leave the country(just for a few days on vacation) with my passport expired(i'm russian married to american and i have a green card),will they let me do it and will i be able to reenter?

Probably not.

Most country asks for "valid" passport with at least 6 month or longer expiry date left from the day of entry.

If it is the problem with that, most country immigration put you back in the next return flight back to where you leave.

And that portion of airfare should be reponsible by you, and if you can not pay, airline should eat the cost.

So they will check your passport and visa for destination and transit country at check-in counter.

If they found the "expired" passport, they can refuse you from there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.