Sprailenes

If it wasn't for immigration

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you still think you and your husband/wife would be married?

I only ask this because I, myself was never really planning on getting married. Contrary to that happy looking woman in my avatar, I never had the dreams of being a bride, or a wife. You hear about those dreams, is it something the media portrays or is there really a dream little girls have of that special day?

I often wonder if my husband and I would be married now if we both lived in the same country. Six years seems a long time to just remain as bf/gf and not to bring the relationship to that next step. Though marriage has always been a very serious step to me, and it was something I couldn't see myself doing because I always said it would make me feel tied down. Its not that I couldn't commit to a person, its that I didn't feel like I could commit to a particular lifestyle.

My mother was single and I watched her travel and do the things she felt like doing, and then I watched married family members battle it out over left and right. I watched my mother sometimes talk about lonliness, yet watched my married family members crave it.

Funny how things change. Sometimes my husband and I wonder if we'd be married and he says he would have asked me eventually because thats just what would have been left to do. :lol:

I do remember saying that if I didn't get married by 30 I wouldn't bother doing it at all thinking that this was a great excuse to avoid the entire ordeal altogether because it just wouldn't happen before 30 and this was a great escape route.

I was married a week before my 30th birthday.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm not sure if we would have gotten married after only 2 years together. Deep down I'm traditional, and even though I had a bad previous experience, I wanted to be with P. But I do think that if we hadn't been "forced" by immigration, we would have dated longer.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

I know the Kipster & I would be.. things just fit.. they clicked.. having both been married before we knew what we wanted. I'm okay with being married.. love being married infact, so i'm pretty sure I'd be married. :) Same time frame? probably we were both over 30 and had done a lot of things on our own, so yep!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I'm not sure if we would have gotten married after only 2 years together. Deep down I'm traditional, and even though I had a bad previous experience, I wanted to be with P. But I do think that if we hadn't been "forced" by immigration, we would have dated longer.

This is my next "issue" it did all feel a bit forced and rushed didn't it?

I mean I know no one held a gun to our heads and said: "this is the way its gotta be" but was there really no other way.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I know exactly what you mean.. My husband and I talk about this alot. not that I didn't want to marry him but we really would have liked to get married on our own time. and not just so we could be together. We would have eventually gotten married just not near as fast as it happened this way. but saying that I am extremely happy with married life!!

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Well, when I was a little girl I did have that dream of being married in a princess dress... :blush:

Then I met my first BF that his parents had divorced, and he thought marriage was bull$hit... Then my parents divorced...Then I met my second BF that his parents had divorced...then he said marriage was bull$hit...then everybody around me said marriage was bull$hit....then my mom met my step dad which had been previously divorced and he said marriage was bull$hit....

sigh

So overtime I kinda forced myself into believing that I would never get married and that it was all a waste of time and money...

Then I met Josh and he told me that even if he was divorced, he still believed in the meaning of marriage, all he needed was the right person...and he proposed me :luv:

I knew I wanted to get married to him, I just needed the right person to be ready for it. :)

The only thing immigration changed is that we didnt have as much time to really have a nice big wedding with both sides of the family. We got married here and nobody from my side could attend, so we are thinking of getting married again in the future in Quebec with all my family and friends present.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Sprailenes/Nevada Sky (by the way, you look nice in your avator),

What an interesting and thought-provoking question that you ask, indeed.

In answer to that question, likewise, I never dreamed of being married either. I just never thought that it was one of those things that would happen to me in life, and had other plans instead. Well, plans and directions change in life, and when one least expects it, love comes along and....

Before one knows it, they discovered that they have entered a wonderful thing called "marriage"... (L)(F)

My husband and I dated for many years before we got married. Even though it is a long time time for us, I was glad that we had that time to "get to know each other better". I thought and still think that marriage was a "serious lifelong/forever step", which takes a lot of commitment and responsiblity, and that I wasn't sure before that I was able to do this, so there was hesistation on my part initially because of that. Likewise, it didn't help either that growing up I didn't have any good role models about the concept of marriage (my parents were divorced), that made me hesistant from that viewpoint too.

Nevertheless, I took "the big plunge" into "marriage", despite those initial hesistations. And yes, we would have eventually married each other as we were so "meant for each other/soulmates", despite immigration problems/worries. In fact even before we were married, people who saw us together used to joke around and say "Aren't you two already married yet?" or "When is he going to move up to Canada already, since he's here all the time?"... :lol:

However, when we did get married, immigration did push our "marriage timeline" ahead....After the harassing ordeal we both went through in crossing the Canada/US border just for a simple visit together (see my VJ timeline for more info), we spur-of-the-moment instead decided to get eloped/married in the USA, and I moved down here to the USA instead....

And so here we are, living "happily-ever-married after" here in the USA (and yes, still dealing with the immigration process too...).... (L):luv:

Lol..by the way, it was my husband that got married for his "milestone" (and no, it's not 30) birthday instead. I guess he liked his "wife" as a birthday present, since she/I'm still around....:lol:

Ant (Married happily-ever-after in the USA...)

Do you still think you and your husband/wife would be married?I only ask this because I, myself was never really planning on getting married. Contrary to that happy looking woman in my avatar, I never had the dreams of being a bride, or a wife. You hear about those dreams, is it something the media portrays or is there really a dream little girls have of that special day?I often wonder if my husband and I would be married now if we both lived in the same country. Six years seems a long time to just remain as bf/gf and not to bring the relationship to that next step. Though marriage has always been a very serious step to me, and it was something I couldn't see myself doing because I always said it would make me feel tied down. Its not that I couldn't commit to a person, its that I didn't feel like I could commit to a particular lifestyle. My mother was single and I watched her travel and do the things she felt like doing, and then I watched married family members battle it out over left and right. I watched my mother sometimes talk about lonliness, yet watched my married family members crave it. Funny how things change. Sometimes my husband and I wonder if we'd be married and he says he would have asked me eventually because thats just what would have been left to do. :lol:

I do remember saying that if I didn't get married by 30 I wouldn't bother doing it at all thinking that this was a great excuse to avoid the entire ordeal altogether because it just wouldn't happen before 30 and this was a great escape route.I was married a week before my 30th birthday.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Good question... I did NOT want to get married and it annoys me that I was 'forced' into it by immigration. Having said that, sometimes we just have to shut up & play by the rules. Not everyone needs that piece of paper to show love & committment...but government departments obviously do. Oh well...

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

Timeline

Joe and I both felt 'forced' into marrying because of immigration. We would have been perfectly happy living together and would probably have taken that route if we had both been in the same country. Not that we have anything against marriage as we obviously did get married, just it would have been more in keeping with our individual lifestyles.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I was 23 when I got married. At 20 if someone told me I'd be married at 23 I would have laughed so hard they would have felt little spit balls from my mouth.

I felt incredibly rushed. I think I would have been married to Jared eventually but not until i was in my late 20s. I did forego a few things like my MA to get married and move here.

But what can you do?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I lived with the father of my daughter for 10 years less 2 days. I didn't see the need for a piece of paper and neither did he. It still cost us $$$$ when we separated.

Your question, Nevada, has me thinking that I kept my maiden name for just that reason. I would rather have been allowed to live here common-law with Larry. As everyone else has said, immigration had other ideas and forced the marriage. I'm happy in my marriage so that's ok. I just believe that if I'd had a choice - I'd be living common-law again.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

I kept my maiden name too, kind of for the same reason plus I was just lazy. But I didn't feel like we married out of choice, it was a little forced.

I mean, I know I had a choice, don't get me wrong. But its just not the same as all of the other typical couples.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good topic...

I never "dreamed" to be a bride one day like a lot of young girls/women do. Did I want to find someone to love & spend the rest of my life with? Gosh, yeah.

But after meeting my Michigan man, not only do we have to be married to be together, but I think I would marry him if we lived in the same country. I've never loved someone the way I love him & I would want to make that "final committment".

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it hadn't been for the immigration process -- and ours went relatively quickly in the 129f part -- we would have been married sooner, if my husband had anything to do with it! I, on the other hand, would have preferred to have taken some more time, but it's all worked out the way it was supposed to. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I know that Nick and I would still be married regardless, I just don't know if we would be married as quickly as we did but to be together and not wait it was our only option.

This is my second marriage and there wasn't much time in between but I know he is the one I was suppose to be with all along.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.