urlov

Applying for the K-1 abroad

5 posts in this topic

I am applying for the K-1 visa to bring my fiance to the USA. I am currently living with him in Mexico, but I'll be going home after Christmas to start a job. I want to apply while I am here with him, but I would like to use my permanent address back home for all of the paperwork. However, I don't want USCIS to think that I am lying or withholding information by not telling them I'm in Mexico. I don't want my application to be denied.

I can think of a couple possible solutions:

1. I don't mention that I am abroad and fill out the paperwork as if I were still back home. I would mail my I-29F packet to my dad at my permanent address, have him enclose a check, and then have him send it off to the Service Center.

2. I use my USA address on all of the forms except for the G-325 on the question where I have to list all of my previous addresses. I would put my current address in Mexico first, then list my other addresses. In the personal statement on the I-29F form I would mention that I am currently in Mexico with the intention of returning to the USA in January.

I have tried calling the 1-800 help line for the I-29F form, but since I'm calling from Mexico I can't seem to get the call through. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on what to do. If you have any better suggestions other than the ones I have listed I would also like to hear them. Thanks so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline
I am applying for the K-1 visa to bring my fiance to the USA. I am currently living with him in Mexico, but I'll be going home after Christmas to start a job. I want to apply while I am here with him, but I would like to use my permanent address back home for all of the paperwork. However, I don't want USCIS to think that I am lying or withholding information by not telling them I'm in Mexico. I don't want my application to be denied.

1. I don't mention that I am abroad and fill out the paperwork as if I were still back home. I would mail my I-29F packet to my dad at my permanent address, have him enclose a check, and then have him send it off to the Service Center.

2. I use my USA address on all of the forms except for the G-325 on the question where I have to list all of my previous addresses. I would put my current address in Mexico first, then list my other addresses. In the personal statement on the I-29F form I would mention that I am currently in Mexico with the intention of returning to the USA in January.

I have tried calling the 1-800 help line for the I-29F form, but since I'm calling from Mexico I can't seem to get the call through. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on what to do. If you have any better suggestions other than the ones I have listed I would also like to hear them. Thanks so much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't worry about it... it won't cause a denial of your petition... answer on the I-129f with your permanent residence and on the g-325a your current situation

The 1-800 service is only good for calls within the US... will not work in Mexico or Canada

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi there! I am in the exact same situation living with my fiance here in El Salvador, although I don´t plan to return back to the States until he is approved. I had the same question on my I-129f petition. I would suggest doing exactly what you stated in your post for #2. As long as you can get paperwork sent to an address in the US, like with your parents or something, that is all you need it for. But make sure to put all your PHYSICAL addresses (including your time in Mexico) on the G325A, though, because you don´t want to mislead them and beside the fact that you´re in Mexico shouldn´t create any problems. You just don´t want them sending you paperwork down there, I assume, since you will be returning to the States. But you have to have someone at the address you put down who can receive your paperwork, NOA1 etc. Once you are there you can do a change of address form.

I added an additional attachment to my I-129f packet leabled ¨Explanation of Addresses on I-129f Petition and G325A¨or something like that and I simply stated that I was temporarily living in El Salvador but had always maintained my permanent residence of my father´s address, where my belongings are being held, my bank statements go, etc, and that that is the address any paperwork should go. I did that just to make sure there wasn´t any confusion, but it may not have been necessary.

I am hoping to get my NOA2 in a few weeks, so check back with me and I can let you know if they accepted it like that :) Good luck and congrats!

Filed: Timeline
Don't worry about it... it won't cause a denial of your petition... answer on the I-129f with your permanent residence and on the g-325a your current situation

The 1-800 service is only good for calls within the US... will not work in Mexico or Canada

I'll 2nd that - my fiancee (USC) and I (UK) live together in London. When we filed we used her permanent address (her parents) on the I-129F and her current London address on the G-325a.

We're now at interview stage and hasn't caused any problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.