Sigh

Montreal to New York and back, and back....

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello from a fellow Canadian :devil:

My fiancé and and filed our K-1 in July (NOA1 receipt July 30). I'm the benificiary and live in Montreal (oh, sweet Montreal!), and my fiancé lives in upsate New York--as of very recently, for he was with me in Montreal on a work visa for the last three years.

Long story short, how many of you have the fortune of a US fiancé(e) who lives close enough for regular visits? J and I are 4.5 hours apart. Occasional weekend visits are feasible for him, and I'm able to visit for about one week each month, based on my workflow (I work with several Montreal-based publications as an editor).

We realize how fortunate we are to have this doable visitation option, though we've just started doing it. I'm currently in upstate NY until the 28th, then it's home for the month of October to work work work! I'd like to visit J again for the first two weeks of November...and wonder if I'll encounter any hassle at the border. I came by train this time (NEVER AGAIN! Anybody who wants to know why, feel free to ask!), but I'll take the bus next time.

Anyways, just hoping to find some allies here on this particular issue!

Cheers,

--A

Edited by MCat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope you shouldn't have any problems, just travel with proof of ties to Canada (a letter from your employer expecting you back, your rent lease or mortgage etc).

I have travelled into the US 4 times since filing (2 times just to shop with friends and 2 times to visit my guy) and they haven't even asked me any questions at all related to my relationship or my intent to immigrate. I've been really prepared for them to ask me lots of questions.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Thanks, SapphireDreams!

That is basically my hunch, but I admit I got myself all nerved up after lurking on this forum since July!

Prior to our K-1 filing, J and I crossed the border regularly--as a pair--to visit his friends and family. We never had problems. But on my train ride to NY, I guess I wasn't top of the "lucky" pile that day and was assigned a female border guard who claimed she didn't "like" the fact I was going to the US for 3 weeks. She asked what I do for a living, and I told her, I said I was going to visit family, and I had an organized binder in my bag with all kinds of proof of ties to Canada, a copy of the NOA1 and our petition, as well as the lovely invoice from the immigration law firm we hired to help us (which shows J and I have been making monthly payments of $500 since July, so why on earth would we screw up the process now?!)

But, the border guard didn't ask for any proof. She did ask if I've ever had difficulty entering the US before, or if I was ever denied, to which I answered a slightly stunned, "No." Guess she was just doing her job, but by the time she was done I felt like thrusting all my documentation at her and saying, "Here! I swear, I just want to see my partner! He left one month ago and I've been lonely! That's all, really, I just want him to give me a hug!" :crying:

This is my first time in a sort of long-distance relationship--though I KNOW it's just temporary and hardly loooong-distance. Still, I admit I don't like it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately M-Cat, that may be the first of many border guards you get that will question your intent and exactly what you are doing. Having a long distance relationship involving two countries is not an easy thing. There are lots of protocols you have to follow.

As long as you have your ties to Canada, that is all you can do and hopefully that will be enough. But remember, it is always up to a BP officer to admit you into the country or to deny you regardless of how honest and truthful you are.

Best of luck!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I am from Montreal too :)

Unfortunately I picked my fiance in Chicago so it wasn't easy to see each other because the only way was to fly, but I was fortunate enough to live 15 min from Dorval and he was 20 min from O'Hare :P

Just wanted to say good luck with all your immigratio process :)

Speaking French at all ? :P

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Thanks, thetreble--yes, I know the border officer could turn me away at any point. I hope not--I have one more visit planned before I should be receiving my NOA2, according to current processing timelines.... It's amazing how the pending K-1 changes a person's psychology/relationship to border crossing--mine, anyway! I was never nervous crossing in the past, and was even hassled a few times but to no bad outcome. If anything, I thought some of the questions I was asked were silly, and so I played along with an inward smirk. But NOW, now I feel like I have a flashing neon sign on my forehead! TOTAL choirboy syndrome :blink:

Speaking French at all ? :P

Yes, Mephys', I speak French. Was born and raised in Montreal (well, more like the West Island--EW!--when I was younger, but I've been living in Mtl for the last 15 years.) Do you speak French? I hear the US doesn't like the French--I realize the France French, but do you think we Québecois are lumped in with them? Eh bien! :blush:

Edited by MCat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I hear the US doesn't like the French--I realize the France French, but do you think we Québecois are lumped in with them? Eh bien! :blush:

Silly MCat, it is not just the US that doesn't like the French :lol:

I kid, I kid. But in reality, Britons, Germans, etc. historically do not get along with the French.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I hear the US doesn't like the French--I realize the France French, but do you think we Québecois are lumped in with them? Eh bien! :blush:

I kid, I kid. But in reality, Britons, Germans, etc. historically do not get along with the French.

Oui, it's true: Nobody likes us! However, I am as Anglais as they get, though of course I learned to speak French at the age of three! I wonder if my bilingualism will work in my favour, job-wise, in NY...? Frankly, my partner's job is in a less than ideal location for my career future, so either I'll get lucky and find tele-commutable work, or I'll surrender and start farming. :o

Edited by MCat

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oui, it's true: Nobody likes us! However, I am as Anglais as they get, though of course I learned to speak French at the age of three! I wonder if my bilingualism will work in my favour, job-wise, in NY...? Frankly, my partner's job is in a less than ideal location for my career future, so either I'll get lucky and find tele-commutable work, or I'll surrender and start farming. :o

Sigh,

We are in a similar situation. Hubby's also in upstate NY. Albany to be exact. I'm in Montreal. We visited each other so many times that we lost count. The only time I had a hard time crossing was when I was 7 months pregnant with our 1st. I was travelling by bus the and the border guy thought I was going to stay there to have the baby...my answer was: "but I'm Canadian!" He smiled and let me in, telling to bring evidence of proof of ties in Canada.

Now that K1 is filed, I will definitaly travel with my papers just to put all the chance on our side. Let me know how it went if/when you cross and I'll do the same.

good luck!

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Hi,

We both have travelled back and forth from Vancouver to Los Angeles for seven (7) years. I have carried proof of my ties to Canada for the last 5 years, and I have been extremely lucky - I have never been questioned about why I am going except to say that I am visiting either my b/f, fiance, or friend (depending upon where in the relationship we were). I recently obtained the NEXUS pass, and that was great the last time I used it - I never spoke to any custom officals. I am not sure how things will change when I return to Canada in January as we were married in July, but I will continue to carry my proof of ties to Canada, and now my CR-1/IR-1 application folder.

Good luck,

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.