scott-n-vlada

Romanian Embassy, Moldovian citizen who speakes Russian

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

I am engaged to a Moldova citizen, we have applied for a K1 visa, CSC

When it is time for her interview in Bucharest, we will travel there together.

She does not speak English very well, and speaks no Romanian. She is Russian speaking.

My question:

Is there support for Russian speaking citizens of Moldova at the K1 visa interview?

Do we need to hire an interpreter for the interview?

Cheers,

Scott

june 16, 2008 - sent I-129f package

june 18, 2008 - delivered to CSC

june 23, 2008 - check cashed

October 23, 2008 - NOA2 approval sent

December 18, 2008, - interview #1

December 22, 2008 - Interview #2

December 22, 2008 - visa issued

Hi, Scott!

You could mail or call the embassy to ask about this.

It's ok, they won't mind to answer and they even respond to the e-mails (done that :blush: )

Could luck, Aliona :)

E-mail American Citizens: acsbucharest@state.gov

Telephone: (+40) 21 200-3300

.png

UURI.jpg

Timeline

Hi Aliona,

Thank you!!

I have been waiting for over a week to get a reply from the embassy, and today

I received a reply, they even gave me the contact information to two people who

do translation services.

Seems strange to me that the Romainian Embassy is servicing K-1 visa for Moldovian

citizens, yet do not support Russian language.

This was their reply:

Dear Mr. McClure:

Unfortunately we do not speak Russian. If your fiancée does not speak Romanian or English she must come at the interview accompanied by a translator who speaks these languages. We attach a list with the names and phone numbers of two individuals in Bucharest, who are working with the Romanian Ministry of Education, whom she may contact.

We hope this information is helpful to you and your fiancée.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi, Scott!

You could mail or call the embassy to ask about this.

It's ok, they won't mind to answer and they even respond to the e-mails (done that :blush: )

Could luck, Aliona :)

E-mail American Citizens: acsbucharest@state.gov

Telephone: (+40) 21 200-3300

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Aliona,

Thank you!!

I have been waiting for over a week to get a reply from the embassy, and today

I received a reply, they even gave me the contact information to two people who

do translation services.

Seems strange to me that the Romainian Embassy is servicing K-1 visa for Moldovian

citizens, yet do not support Russian language.

This was their reply:

Dear Mr. McClure:

Unfortunately we do not speak Russian. If your fiancée does not speak Romanian or English she must come at the interview accompanied by a translator who speaks these languages. We attach a list with the names and phone numbers of two individuals in Bucharest, who are working with the Romanian Ministry of Education, whom she may contact.

We hope this information is helpful to you and your fiancée.

Cheers,

Scott

Because Russian is not the official language of Moldova. If a person speaks Moldovan they should be able to understand Romanian, as it is reportedly nearly identical.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Because Russian is not the official language of Moldova. If a person speaks Moldovan they should be able to understand Romanian, as it is reportedly nearly identical.

But romanian IS Republic's of Moldova state language, as weird as it may sound...

.png

UURI.jpg

Timeline

I have visited Moldova 5 times now, and have yet to meet anyone who speaks Moldovian / Romanian!

In Chisinau it seems that russian is the most used language, and perhaps in the villages there are more Moldovian

speaking people. I wonder what the percentages are, one thing for sure, Russian is a very popular language

in the city.

Cheers,

Scott

But romanian IS Republic's of Moldova state language, as weird as it may sound...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have visited Moldova 5 times now, and have yet to meet anyone who speaks Moldovian / Romanian!

In Chisinau it seems that russian is the most used language, and perhaps in the villages there are more Moldovian

speaking people. I wonder what the percentages are, one thing for sure, Russian is a very popular language

in the city.

Cheers,

Scott

My wife went to school in Chisinau and on her most recent journey, she had many people who initially refused to speak Russian with her and some who never did, forcing her to change language.

YMMV

Timeline

How strange!!

In July I traveled by car from Chisinau to Odessa with my daughter, and best of all with

my Moldova sweetie, her Russian sure was helpful in Ukraine. I will ask more about Romanian

language in a couple days. I get to spend 10 days again in Moldova starting this Thursday,

and I will seek someone in Chisinau who speaks Romanian...you got me curious now!!!

Maybe I am just hanging with the Russians, and miss a whole segment of Chisinau

that speaks Romanian?

Thank you for the insight!

Cheers,

Scott

in the city.

Cheers,

Scott

My wife went to school in Chisinau and on her most recent journey, she had many people who initially refused to speak Russian with her and some who never did, forcing her to change language.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.