CanAmCharlotte

Recent trip to Toronto

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just got back from a five day solo trip to Toronto to visit my sister and her family last night. It is only the third time I've been back to Canada in almost two years (since I crossed the border with my CR-1 visa). I had been given a bit of a hard time with my two previous crossings even though I had nothing to worry about. This time the Customs Officer at Pearson (a notorious place for giving permanent residents the stink eye) asked if I had a enjoyable stay and welcomed me "home" to America. C'est tout! As Paris Hilton would say, "Loves it!"

My favourite store to visit when I'm in Canada now are the glammed-up Shoppers Drug Marts. I love how they have the high end cosmetics and skin care lines out in the open for you to try. No need to ask a sales person for help. I hate going to department stores in the States to get these items. Sephora isn't bad but it doesn't carry lines like NeoStrata or Lise Watier. Over all I would say retail prices seem to have come down almost across the board. The things that are still good deals in the U.S. are linens and shoes (I'm talking about things you can carry back with you).

BTW, has anyone else noticed how dirty and dingy Toronto is looking, not to mention more dangerous (there were three school lockdowns and a school shooting while I was there)? Sadly, 'Toronto the Good' seems to be losing its luster. I was actually glad to be back in beautiful Charlotte, North Carolina.

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yep, nearest Chinatown for us is Toronto, my wife enjoys making the trip over there to shop.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi CanAmCharlotte,

Glad you had an enjoyable stay when you visited your sister in Canada. I know what you mean about getting certain products in Canada that aren't available in the US. I myself like stocking up on "smarties" (the chocolate kind) whenever I go back to Canada for a visit. Did you have any problems crossing border with all that stuff you brought back?

I totally agree with you about Toronto being dirty, dingy, and dangerous, especially in certain areas/parts of the city. That's scary to think that the kids at school aren't even safe there. I'm sure you must have been glad to have returned home to the USA. Likewise, I said the same thing too, the last time I was in Toronto. Boy am I glad that I moved out of that city years ago, as in all honesty, I prefer life here in the beautiful, rural, and safe countryside of the USA instead of the city of Toronto.

Regardless, Canada is a great country to visit though, and yes, it's nice a to take a trip north of the border from time to time, especially to stock up on certain items/products.

Ant (A Canadian that's happy to be home in the USA, though still likes visiting Canada sometimes...)

I just got back from a five day solo trip to Toronto to visit my sister and her family last night. It is only the third time I've been back to Canada in almost two years (since I crossed the border with my CR-1 visa). I had been given a bit of a hard time with my two previous crossings even though I had nothing to worry about. This time the Customs Officer at Pearson (a notorious place for giving permanent residents the stink eye) asked if I had a enjoyable stay and welcomed me "home" to America. C'est tout! As Paris Hilton would say, "Loves it!"

My favourite store to visit when I'm in Canada now are the glammed-up Shoppers Drug Marts. I love how they have the high end cosmetics and skin care lines out in the open for you to try. No need to ask a sales person for help. I hate going to department stores in the States to get these items. Sephora isn't bad but it doesn't carry lines like NeoStrata or Lise Watier. Over all I would say retail prices seem to have come down almost across the board. The things that are still good deals in the U.S. are linens and shoes (I'm talking about things you can carry back with you).

BTW, has anyone else noticed how dirty and dingy Toronto is looking, not to mention more dangerous (there were three school lockdowns and a school shooting while I was there)? Sadly, 'Toronto the Good' seems to be losing its luster. I was actually glad to be back in beautiful Charlotte, North Carolina.

Jo-Anne

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad you enjoyed your trip back.

Growing up and living right next to toronto for most of my life, I'm not any more scared of it than I was when I was a little kid. I love spending time there and I'm pretty comfortable.

I think what you have to keep in mind is the comparisons of crime. I don't know what it is like where you live in the NC, but I live in a pretty dangerous place in NJ. When I come home to Toronto now it seems like a breathe of fresh air. I can be out and abotu with my friends on Queen street at 2am and I feel completely safe. Where I live in NJ, by the time it gets dark you really should be careful. I noticed the other day that people walking their dogs at night carry sticks, bats and canes. I kept asking my husband "why does that guy have a cane when he obviously walks fine?" He finally told me they are doing it for safety!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Timeline

That's funny yanno, cuz crime rates in Charlotte per capita, probably about the same as they are in Toronto (after a cursory glance at crime stats for both cities). Considering Toronto is about 3 times the size of Charlotte, I'd take my chances in Toronto.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.