CrystalDream

Is K-1 or K-3 better for us?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance and I have had a relationship on the internet for 5 years but we have not met yet. I plan to meet him soon in the United Arab Emirates. We are confused if the K-1 Visa or the K-3 visa or even the IR1/CR1 would be best for our situation.

We read on a site that officials who review applications turn down those applications for various reasons.

One of the one listed was marrying right away after meeting. In our case, I could travel to the United Arab Emirates to meet him, but I can't stay long - only from 2 possibly up to 3 weeks. So we don't have much time to get to know each other in real life and marry. If we marry, we would do so within a few days after meeting.

Is it better to go through the fiance visa process instead of the spousal process?? Would officials see that in a better light? Or, would marrying within a few days and applying for the K-3 or IR1/CR1 be acceptable and likely to be approved?

We don't want to go down the wrong path and find out that our application could be denied or delayed.

Thanks so much! (L)

Filed: Other Timeline
My fiance and I have had a relationship on the internet for 5 years but we have not met yet. I plan to meet him soon in the United Arab Emirates. We are confused if the K-1 Visa or the K-3 visa or even the IR1/CR1 would be best for our situation.

We read on a site that officials who review applications turn down those applications for various reasons.

One of the one listed was marrying right away after meeting. In our case, I could travel to the United Arab Emirates to meet him, but I can't stay long - only from 2 possibly up to 3 weeks. So we don't have much time to get to know each other in real life and marry. If we marry, we would do so within a few days after meeting.

Is it better to go through the fiance visa process instead of the spousal process?? Would officials see that in a better light? Or, would marrying within a few days and applying for the K-3 or IR1/CR1 be acceptable and likely to be approved?

We don't want to go down the wrong path and find out that our application could be denied or delayed.

Thanks so much! (L)

If you marry too fast you risk to face a long delay. Of course USCIS-employees will assume that there is something wrong with your marriage if you marry right away. And if you think logical you can't blame them.

I think K1 is the better route.

Marrying right after entering the UAE could lead to a delay. Especially nowadays. Look through the different forums.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Filed: Timeline

CrystalDream,

The issue is the same in all case - is the relationship for the purpose of evading immigration law to get the alien into the USA as an immigrant.

You (and your fiance) should have a question to answer for yourselves - do I really want to marry and live my life with this person whom I have not yet met in person.

You might want to consider getting your own answers to the 2nd question before deciding on your approach to immigration.

Yodrak

Thanks so much!

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
CrystalDream,

The issue is the same in all case - is the relationship for the purpose of evading immigration law to get the alien into the USA as an immigrant.

You (and your fiance) should have a question to answer for yourselves - do I really want to marry and live my life with this person whom I have not yet met in person.

You might want to consider getting your own answers to the 2nd question before deciding on your approach to immigration.

Yodrak

:thumbs:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

You should go there, spend time together, and decide after meeting whether this is a relationship that will lead to marriage. If you marry the first week you meet in person, the USCIS officials will probably eye your K-3 petition suspiciously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.