badspellor

Visa Approved! :)

15 posts in this topic

Well it's been 14 months and we've finally gotten our visa. Here's a brief review of our interview and POE experience:

We arrived in MTL on the 8th, the day before the interview and scoped out where the consulate was. We found the SNC-Lavalin building on the north corner of Rene-Levesque and Alexander - simple enough. We were going to ride the metro the next day to the interview but it ended up pouring down rain so I parked 2 blocks away (one Northeast, one southeast) in a $9 all day parking. It would have cost $8 round trip for the both of us on the metro anyway so no biggie. Got there around 7:15 and were the first ones at the door. A few more arrived before 7:30 when they opened the doors. Have your appointment letter and passport in hand. You need it before you can even proceed through security. We got letter A even after 2 got in front of us due to the delay with removing the key (they were non-immigrant visas). Security allowed purses and bags but kept anything electronic including car keys with the remote opener built in. He wouldn't take all the keys, he had to take off just that one. Okay. I could keep my wristwatch and didn't need to remove it for the metal detector. A guy in the back looks at the Xray calling out the number of electronic devices he sees and the other guard removes them. The shelves in the back hold your stuff until you're done inside. We got Door pushes then pulls open, down stairs and sit and wait for another guard until 7:45. There's a photo booth there, only $4 for pictures! Sure is a lot cheaper than passport photos! Guard leads us into the front of the elevator and takes our letters. We go up to the 19th floor (only other option is 22nd). Exit out rear of elevator and proceed left into an open area with lots of windows looking out over the city. There are washrooms, pop and vending machines up here. The walls were adorned with scenes of America. The elevator guard takes the letters around back. Shortly we get called up. She went through all our documents and verified our information was all correct and complete. She asked for the Xpresspost envelope. I asked if we could pick up the visa the next day at noon and she said no, go buy an envelope and come back. I got a "hall pass" for 8:30am and went northeast up Alexander to the Pharmaprix on the corner to buy the $16 envelope. Brought back the envelope just as we got called for the fingerprints (beneficiary of course) and had much difficulty with the machine getting acceptable prints. Sat back down and got called to a "window" that was really a door. Went inside and got sworn in. Questions were easy and limited. How/when did we meet, when was the proposal, visits to the states (how often, duration). She said she saw no reason not to approve us. She looked at the Xpresspost envelope and noticed the address was different than what was on the petition. I explained that we were hoping to pick up the visa tomorrow at noon but ... and she said, well how about tomorrow at 3pm? Perfect! So she gave us back the Xpresspost envelope, I have no idea what we'll do with it, and gave us a hall pass to get in the next day. Another couple with an IV saw us leave with the Xpresspost envelope and approached me asking if they needed to have it. I told him that we asked the interviewer if we could pick it up the next day and they said we could so that's why the envelope came back with us. We were out before 10am. Could have parked at a meter! Came back the next day, probably 3:08 due to heavy traffic with two lanes closed on the 720 into town. Just parked on the street and waited there. There was ours and one other visa waiting to be picked up.

3:30 we were on the road, but it was like a parking lot. Took over an hour just to get to Vaudreuil-Dorion on 20. Stopped at Tim's one last time for supper. Lineup at 1000 islands was about 400m long due to transport trucks blocking access to the car lanes. Finally got there and I was the second car in the line of the right lane and the guy in the front gets a thorough run through his car and trunk in primary. Finally he sends him to secondary and walks his ID into the office and blocks off the lane with an orange barrel leaving the light green. I back out to use the other lane. This guy in front of me is in a pickup truck. Next thing I know, the officer is yelling, get out of the car! Get out of the car! Hands behind your back! Well, isn't this great. Finally the officer from the original lane returns, moves the barrel and I back out and into the lane yet again. I say hello to the officer, he says, "Hi, how are you?" "Good, we're here to activate a CR-1 visa" "Oh! Congratulations!" He takes our passports, fills out a little square white piece of paper, puts the car's licence plate number and state/province abbreviation on it and instructs us to park in the lanes to the right under the canopy where they do the secondary inspection. We're greeted down there and she asks what brings us to secondary. I explain that we're there to activate the visa and she too offered her congratulations. Heck, everyone at this POE was very friendly. To us anyway, maybe not so much to the criminal they turned around earlier hahaha. She took my keys and pointed us the way to inside. Wasn't too long and we were asked for the packet from the embassy. The officer joked around with us and used our case to train someone else there how to process the CR-1. By the way, neither the consulate nor the POE wanted the Xray so I'm glad I didn't waste the money on getting one, CD or film. Had to do two right index finger ink fingerprints onto paper and sign. They stamped a lot of things including the passport right at the crease between the visa (a really fancy full page sticker on the next to last page of the passport) and the adjoining page. No "Welcome to the US" but didn't matter to us. Just happy about the 0 hassle factor and the friendliness. The sun was set at this point and it took us until 4am after a 90 minute nap to get home. Finally done, until removal of conditions!

Ah, so much for brief! :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great review. Congrarts

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the visa and your move to the U.S.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome home!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Congrats and welcome to the US !!! :dance:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay! What a great story!

Our teeny timeline:

Jan 23 '08 ~ met online

Mar '08 ~ 1st visit to Vancouver

May '08 ~ 2nd visit to Vancouver

Jun 08 ~ plans to move to the west coast!

Aug 8 08 ~ he moves to Bellingham

current ~ many trips back and forth across the border...

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Badspellor,

Congratulations on getting your CR-1 visa approved and finally arriving here in the USA with your visa. Glad too that you didn't have any problems at your POE experience coming over. Thanks for sharing your detailed immigration story/experience on this message thread. By the way, you can post your story/experience under the "reviews" section on VJ too.

In the meantime, "Welcome to America, Badspellor!" and enjoy your time here in America.

And yes, don't forget to file the I-751 two years minus 90 days later.

Ant

Well it's been 14 months and we've finally gotten our visa. Here's a brief review of our interview and POE experience:

We arrived in MTL on the 8th, the day before the interview and scoped out where the consulate was. We found the SNC-Lavalin building on the north corner of Rene-Levesque and Alexander - simple enough. We were going to ride the metro the next day to the interview but it ended up pouring down rain so I parked 2 blocks away (one Northeast, one southeast) in a $9 all day parking. It would have cost $8 round trip for the both of us on the metro anyway so no biggie. Got there around 7:15 and were the first ones at the door. A few more arrived before 7:30 when they opened the doors. Have your appointment letter and passport in hand. You need it before you can even proceed through security. We got letter A even after 2 got in front of us due to the delay with removing the key (they were non-immigrant visas). Security allowed purses and bags but kept anything electronic including car keys with the remote opener built in. He wouldn't take all the keys, he had to take off just that one. Okay. I could keep my wristwatch and didn't need to remove it for the metal detector. A guy in the back looks at the Xray calling out the number of electronic devices he sees and the other guard removes them. The shelves in the back hold your stuff until you're done inside. We got Door pushes then pulls open, down stairs and sit and wait for another guard until 7:45. There's a photo booth there, only $4 for pictures! Sure is a lot cheaper than passport photos! Guard leads us into the front of the elevator and takes our letters. We go up to the 19th floor (only other option is 22nd). Exit out rear of elevator and proceed left into an open area with lots of windows looking out over the city. There are washrooms, pop and vending machines up here. The walls were adorned with scenes of America. The elevator guard takes the letters around back. Shortly we get called up. She went through all our documents and verified our information was all correct and complete. She asked for the Xpresspost envelope. I asked if we could pick up the visa the next day at noon and she said no, go buy an envelope and come back. I got a "hall pass" for 8:30am and went northeast up Alexander to the Pharmaprix on the corner to buy the $16 envelope. Brought back the envelope just as we got called for the fingerprints (beneficiary of course) and had much difficulty with the machine getting acceptable prints. Sat back down and got called to a "window" that was really a door. Went inside and got sworn in. Questions were easy and limited. How/when did we meet, when was the proposal, visits to the states (how often, duration). She said she saw no reason not to approve us. She looked at the Xpresspost envelope and noticed the address was different than what was on the petition. I explained that we were hoping to pick up the visa tomorrow at noon but ... and she said, well how about tomorrow at 3pm? Perfect! So she gave us back the Xpresspost envelope, I have no idea what we'll do with it, and gave us a hall pass to get in the next day. Another couple with an IV saw us leave with the Xpresspost envelope and approached me asking if they needed to have it. I told him that we asked the interviewer if we could pick it up the next day and they said we could so that's why the envelope came back with us. We were out before 10am. Could have parked at a meter! Came back the next day, probably 3:08 due to heavy traffic with two lanes closed on the 720 into town. Just parked on the street and waited there. There was ours and one other visa waiting to be picked up.

3:30 we were on the road, but it was like a parking lot. Took over an hour just to get to Vaudreuil-Dorion on 20. Stopped at Tim's one last time for supper. Lineup at 1000 islands was about 400m long due to transport trucks blocking access to the car lanes. Finally got there and I was the second car in the line of the right lane and the guy in the front gets a thorough run through his car and trunk in primary. Finally he sends him to secondary and walks his ID into the office and blocks off the lane with an orange barrel leaving the light green. I back out to use the other lane. This guy in front of me is in a pickup truck. Next thing I know, the officer is yelling, get out of the car! Get out of the car! Hands behind your back! Well, isn't this great. Finally the officer from the original lane returns, moves the barrel and I back out and into the lane yet again. I say hello to the officer, he says, "Hi, how are you?" "Good, we're here to activate a CR-1 visa" "Oh! Congratulations!" He takes our passports, fills out a little square white piece of paper, puts the car's licence plate number and state/province abbreviation on it and instructs us to park in the lanes to the right under the canopy where they do the secondary inspection. We're greeted down there and she asks what brings us to secondary. I explain that we're there to activate the visa and she too offered her congratulations. Heck, everyone at this POE was very friendly. To us anyway, maybe not so much to the criminal they turned around earlier hahaha. She took my keys and pointed us the way to inside. Wasn't too long and we were asked for the packet from the embassy. The officer joked around with us and used our case to train someone else there how to process the CR-1. By the way, neither the consulate nor the POE wanted the Xray so I'm glad I didn't waste the money on getting one, CD or film. Had to do two right index finger ink fingerprints onto paper and sign. They stamped a lot of things including the passport right at the crease between the visa (a really fancy full page sticker on the next to last page of the passport) and the adjoining page. No "Welcome to the US" but didn't matter to us. Just happy about the 0 hassle factor and the friendliness. The sun was set at this point and it took us until 4am after a 90 minute nap to get home. Finally done, until removal of conditions!

Ah, so much for brief! :P

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Wow, great writing Badspellor.

Congrats on your next phase of your life!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
congratulations :D !!!!!

2008-05-06 I-129F sent

2008-05-10 Delivered to NVC 3:12pm

2008-05-20 NOA1

2008-05-23 Touched

2008-06-26 Touched

2008-06-27 Touched

2008-09-07 NOA2

2008-09-11 Received at NVC

2008-09-12 Left NVC

2008-09-18 Consulate received

2008-09-25 Pkt3 Received

2008-09-28 Pkt3 Returned

2008-09-30 Pkt4 Received

2008-10-09 Interview

2008-10-13 Medical

2008-10-24 Visa Received

2008-10-30 Fying home to my Jonathan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.