Big Papa Zone

U.S. Politics

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just wanted to garner a U.K. perspective on this (and all the prior and future) U.S. presidential elections. They (and in fact the whole political pantomime over there) are the one main gripe I have with the states. The mudslinging and rank hypocrisy that abounds is truly mind-numbing. And it's not just the politicians, either: all you have to do is pop over to the off topic forum on this fine website, and read the ever increasing number of threads in which posters are slagging each other off with vengance!!

Discuss.............

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm the USC here but my husband asked me why they tell the public how bad the other candidate is instead of telling the public what good they can do for America. Every advert here is each candidate putting each other down and using quotes out of context.

My husband is very annoyed with the government and politics here. He says that our media is so controlled compared England. He's always wanting world news and here we just don't have it like England. He's been having to listen to UK radio stations for the world news.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am the USC and all I gotta say is I HATE politics and try to stay out of all of it as I don't trust any of them to do anything to help the American people at this point.

~Steph n' Gareth n' Fam

Successful Fiance' Visa recipents Class of October 2008 ;)

(filed January 2008 married November 18th 2008)

Not every ad is negative. There's one positive McCain/Palin ad and quite a lot of positive Obama ads.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

I detest politics - I know I should care about it more than I do but I find it hard to trust someone who is basically just trying to get a vote... While I don't doubt that their underlying intentions are good (that is, that they can do the best job for their country) I have my doubts about the integrity of campaigns when so much is at stake for them.

And that goes for UK politics as well - I like to sit on the fence :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I feel that the new media here is deathly afraid of boring people with political detail. I remember in most elections at home and in the UK the parties usually publish papers outlining their plans, what they will increase funding for, and where the money will come for. Sure it's not something they always stick to, but they put out a detailed plan. I have no idea if either party has done that in this election, because I think that the news would simply not cover it in a way that would be helpful. They just keep repeating some keywords that mean nothing, and most of the time, you're left none the wiser. It drives me batty.

The UK Wiki

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm just sick of this election. It's not a secret I'm an Obama supporter, but the volley between both sides is just...disenheartening. I think the media has been doing a horrible job. I could care less about lapel pins or whether someone went to 4 different colleges or what not. I just want an answer to the economy, or a real plan about the war in Iraq or health care. I'm sure that info could be out there, but I want to hear it from the candidates themselves.

*sigh*

wtf-picard.jpg

I feel that the new media here is deathly afraid of boring people with political detail. I remember in most elections at home and in the UK the parties usually publish papers outlining their plans, what they will increase funding for, and where the money will come for. Sure it's not something they always stick to, but they put out a detailed plan. I have no idea if either party has done that in this election, because I think that the news would simply not cover it in a way that would be helpful. They just keep repeating some keywords that mean nothing, and most of the time, you're left none the wiser. It drives me batty.

I haven't seen the detailed plans in papers in the UK that you're talking about, but I consider this to be really quite in-depth -

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

:)

This isn't as in-depth and is more sound-bitey, but is still something -

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

My husband has compared the tribalism you get with partisan politics over here with a football rivalry like Man U-Liverpool. It's emotional, it's a grudge match and one side will just hate the other no matter what. All that's missing is a fight down the pub.....

90day.jpg

Timeline

Mabye the personality let election season has something to do with the fact that the Presidential election is all about election one person and their running mate, whereas General Elections have the local aspect too. You might hope that one party ends up in Power, but in your local constituency the best candidate have more faith in someone from the other party. You never directly decide the Prime Minister, so the party has to sell the overall party more than individuals. Just a theory.

The UK Wiki

And that goes for UK politics as well - I like to sit on the fence :)

Why? Don't you care about your future? Your kids? Your neighborhood?

Sure I do - but it all gets so snipey and generally out of the two most popular candidates there are always good and bad points to the extent I would find it hard to choose - I would like to take more interest in local politics where I feel personal and relevant issues are addressed in the locality and to have that build the bigger picture. Our local MP back where I lived always did a great job, yet if anyone were to ask me who I supported or whether I was liberal, conservative or labour I couldn't honestly answer.

I mean - Blair was all about education and after spending four years training to be a teacher I realised that it was more about proving yourself as a professional and filling in paperwork for the government to check up on you than about the quality of education that the children were receiving - no matter what "policies," "interventions" and whatnot were implemented.

I just feel like if I wanted to get into a huge political debate I would join a club - I have my own views and opinions, I just choose not to get fired up over it.

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Mudslinging goes on in UK general elections. Party-political broadcasts, Question time and so forth give plenty of opportunity to slate the opposition.

I suppose here, I am not surprised by the dirt-digging so much as how partisan the media is. My husband hates Fox news but it is interesting to watch the blatant liberal-bashing. Same with MSNBC - we are an Obama household, even our dog is an Obama supporter :P. Anyway, my husband watches Keith Olbermann religiously and we especially like his end messages, however, I keep pointing out to him that it's pointless because the only people watching Countdown are the ones who don't really need converting.

Timeline

I agree that there's no shortage of mudslinging in the UK too, but and I could be remembering with rose coloured glasses, there seemed to also be at least a reasonable amount of discussing actual plans for the UK. They often don't bother with the plans once the election over, so it may be futile anyway, but I think that there's more detailed discussion of issues.

The UK Wiki

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.