TheATeam

Mailing Medication

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there! I'm so struggling with the health care system here. I can't get on my husband's health insurance yet so I'm without insurance. I was SO silly before I moved here and I didn't stock up on my birth control like I should have. Well, after 3 or 4 months of paying up to $100 every month just to get a prescription for them, I'm going to have my mom send me the leftover packages that I should have brought with me.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had medication mailed to them from home. Did it work? Did you get your medication? She is just going to mail one package and then put the rest of them in her luggage when she comes next month for the wedding. I just don't want to have to pay $100 to go see a doctor for another one month prescription! ARGHHHHH!

I'm so frustrated with the health care, or lack of, here. Hubby said that he used to support the system here and now he realizes that it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's alright if you never get sick, but if you even need just birth control, you've got an issue if you don't have healthcare.

Anyhow, I hope someone has some experience with this! Thanks in advance.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there! I'm so struggling with the health care system here. I can't get on my husband's health insurance yet so I'm without insurance. I was SO silly before I moved here and I didn't stock up on my birth control like I should have. Well, after 3 or 4 months of paying up to $100 every month just to get a prescription for them, I'm going to have my mom send me the leftover packages that I should have brought with me.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had medication mailed to them from home. Did it work? Did you get your medication? She is just going to mail one package and then put the rest of them in her luggage when she comes next month for the wedding. I just don't want to have to pay $100 to go see a doctor for another one month prescription! ARGHHHHH!

I'm so frustrated with the health care, or lack of, here. Hubby said that he used to support the system here and now he realizes that it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's alright if you never get sick, but if you even need just birth control, you've got an issue if you don't have healthcare.

You should be able to get birth control pills for cheap at a local planned parenthood office.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Purolatorâ„¢ International

PDF to print

Prescription Drugs to the U.S.A.

For all prescription drugs mailed to a Canadian or American citizen at an address in the United States, it is mandatory that the sender provide all of the following:

* a photocopy of the doctor’s prescription

* a photocopy of a document proving the addressee’s Canadian citizenship (e.g. birth certificate with photo I.D., passport)

* a letter from the doctor if the drug is not FDA approved, or if for U.S. citizen

* in the receiver’s name and address section of the Purolator International – Bill of Lading, the telephone number where the addressee can be contacted.

Purolator International must conform with the packaging requirements of Canada Post and the destination country. Purolator International shipments must not contain dangerous or prohibited articles. See General Terms and Conditions at www.canadapost.ca/generalterms and the chapter “Non-mailable Matter†for more information.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/P...t-e.asp#1378515

here's a start :) It's courier, i'll keep looking for general mailing. Looks like this is the custom regulation...

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/p...s-e.asp#1382810

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

It would likely be confiscated and destroyed and you'd never see your pills again.

Go to a Planned Parenthood clinic and see if they can help you.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi TheATeam,

I can relate to your situation, as (gee, I hate to be personal here about this :blush: ), I experienced the same situation before too. I only had planned a vacation here in the USA (see my VJ timeline about this), and only had about 2 weeks worth of pills and other personal belongings when I came here. On top of that, I was "out of status/illegal" while the paperwork was processing for the AOS, so I could not go back to pick up my stuff myself even if I wanted to. Also, because of my "in limbo" immigration status, I had no health insurance nor could get any kind of health insurance here either. Luckily though, I had stocked up on pills ahead of time (intuition perhaps?), and as soon as I ran out of my pills, said to my husband: "Well, you're either going to have pick up my pills for me, or we're going to have a baby now!" And shortly afterwards, my husband drove all the way by himself to Canada to my former place and picked up most of my stuff. It was funny though, when he returned, and had the many packets of pills stuffed in his pocket, as he was afraid they would find it in the trunk of the car if they ever did search there (which thank goodness they didn't this time, like they did before when I arrived here). Even after that, it took some time for me to get healthcare after I got my green card. And so, like you, I ended up paying a lot for all of my "uninsured healthcare" here in the USA, until I finally got some sort of medical insurance coverage awhile later.

Lol...oh the stories of our newlywed married days! Thank goodness we don't have to worry about pills (we finally gave up on that idea, as we've been married for awhile and decided that we want to do the opposite and expand our family with a baby/child instead). I'm thankful too that I have healthcare now here in the USA, even though it's not the best, and it can be extremely frustrating at times trying to work through the system here.

If you still can travel back to Canada and get healthcare and pills there, then I would suggest you do that. It's better if you can bring the pills and other medications over in-person yourself. It's ok to do, as long as you have a valid prescription accompanying it. Do not send it by mail, as it will get taken away and/or lost, and you might end up in a lot of trouble because of it. If you can't get your pills from Canada, as the other posters above suggested, then try to find a free and/or low cost healthcare clinic here in the USA for your medical needs. And as soon as you can, yes, do find some sort of medical insurance here in the USA, as medical costs here in the USA can get quite costly and can be very difficult to obtain without insurance....

Hope this helps. Good luck with your medical and immigration situations.

Ant (Pill-less, feeling a bit :blush: , and :rofl: about my old newlywed days...)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

have you tried Walmart pharmacy?? my prescription costs about 20 bucks a month there..

that is weird that your doctor gives you a month to month prescription.. mine gives me a prescription that is good for about 8 to 9 months...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Hi everyone! Thanks for your advice. I know that mailing them is a long shot, but I had read some of what you posted Emancipation.

It's not that the actual prescription itself is expensive, because I've been getting them at Walmart for $9 per month. The problem is that because I don't have a regular "family" doctor yet and they don't believe I've had my yearly physical this year, they won't prescribe for any longer than a month, even at Planned Parenthood. I don't have a family doctor yet cause they're like $150 just for a visit! I also tried to get my yearly physical at Planned Parenthood so that I could get a year's worth of prescriptions but that would be around $250 because, even though I don't work, my husband does, and makes too much money!

Ant- I wish I could go back and get them myself but I can't. My mom will bring some with her next month when she flies in, so I'm thankful for that. I'm worried about this month though. I don't want to have to spend another $60-$100 just to get a silly piece of paper! ~sighs~ It's all just so expensive and so frustrating.

Edited by TheATeam

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Timeline

Nope, I haven't had one done yet Marilyn. I had my last one done in January back home and didn't want to have to get another one. I also can't really afford $300 right now, so I'm trying to wait until I'm on hubby's insurance. ~sighs~

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Timeline

Yeah, that's what I thought too. They don't have real walk in clinics like I'm used to back home. Their "Urgent Care" is still ridiculously expensive... $150!!!! This is the first time I've ever been worried about actually being ill or needing to see a doctor for something, even just a regular checkup or my yearly physical! Man alive!

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Timeline

Thai Family- Thanks for the idea! I hadn't thought about the health department. I'll phone them tomorrow and see how much they cost!

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No clue where u live, but the bigger cities have birth control clinics, planned parenthood http://www.plannedparenthood.org/. And yes the health dept should be able to help u.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't help you with this particular issue (some others people on here have that covered anyway), but if and when you do get coverage, do NOT mention your birth control if it's expensive. Health insurance plans won't cover preexisting conditions and the medication necessary for them. In other words, they'd pay for your birth control if you decided to get it AFTER applying and getting accepted by an HMO or PPO, but if you're on it BEFORE and they know about it, you'll still have to pay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.