Weatherman

Arrived in Honolulu!

14 posts in this topic

We arrived via Hawaiian Airlines in Honolulu from Manila about 11:00 Honolulu time. We deplaned and went upstairs and outside to ride a little bus called the 'Wiki-wiki". This took us to the Immigration hall. There were staff people directing us where to go.. "First time Immigrants?...to the left, all the way down straight ahead". We went up to the counter and I gave the Immigration Officer all of our passports, including mine, my wife and daughter Visa packages, and the xrays. The IO had us sit and wait a minute, then called my wife and daughter (and I went along, LOL) up to the counter for biometrics( fingerprinting and signature). Then, he had us sit down while he went behind his booth and processed their case paper work. There were a few K-1s and some other IV being processed from the same plane as well. The K-1's went a little quicker, but maybe it had to do with the individual IOs.

Anyway, after about 15-20 minutes of him processing (I watched him read through the papers from the envelope, looking at the computer, writing on some forms, etc, then I KNEW it was ALL GOOD when I saw him stamp their Passports), he called us back to his counter. He told us we had to Remove Conditions starting at 21 months before two years expired, and had my wife and daughter both sign the form ackowledging that they were told they need to Remove Conditions. He confirmed our mailing address for Green Card, and told us the stamped visa would serve as that for the time being until they come in the mail. He said they may take up to 6 months to come. He also gave us some SSN forms and told them to apply. I asked about getting two numbers since we had asked for numbers on the DS-230. He said, "No, you can apply" I said "Ok", but I'm skeptical, hahaha.

***Personal Editorial Comment: After reading several experiences here on VJ, and having lived through it today, I am thinking the best way to get the SSN is to NOT ASK for one on the DS-230, and just apply and get one after getting to America. Just my opinion, but it would make sure you would not get two, and you would also KNOW that it was being processed at the SSN office instead of wondering when it will come in the mail and how long you should wait before going to SSN to apply in person anyway. YMMV and other opinions are just as valid. I'm not a lawyer or US immigration expert, so take this only for what it is... my opinion***

After clearing Immigration (Supervisor IO lady named Mary said "Welcome to America!!" as we were going down escalator) we went to go get our luggage and clear customs. The Customs and Hawaiian Airlines Staff had already collected our bags, cleared us through customs, and had our luggage waiting for us on a two luggage carrying racks!! WOW!!!! All I had to do was hand the Customs Officer the form I had already prepared on the plane...and I don't think he really did anything with it...it was just a formality that he figured he should collect it since it was out in my hand, LOL.

Now, for a little bit of feedback for the VJs to be aware of...

1. Some of the IO's are not clear in their questions or directions. Example: They asked my daughter (she is 9) "Can you write your name?" Of course she nodded her head..so he told her to write her name. Luckily, my wife knew he really meant SIGN her name and she needed to put her SIGNATURE...so they did not have to redo her form like they did for one of the other family's kids... he followed the directions and WROTE his name instead of SIGNING... so they had him redo when they noticed. They asked another girl who was clearing (a K-1)... "Do you have all your luggage?" She of course said "No", because her checked luggage was still waiting for her in customs, LOL. What they meant was do you have all your HAND CARRIED items that you brought with you from the plane into the Immigration Hall, which she DID HAVE. When she said "NO", he said, "Well get all your things". She got a confused look and i knew she was thinking, "How can I get my things from customs from in here??" They were just making sure we did not forget some hand carried item before we left the Immigration hall. I piped up to help clear that up before it got too comical or ugly.

2. One young lady and her mother were arriving 4 days AFTER their husband/father had travelled and cleared for some personal reason. The Husband had the Marriage Certificate with HIS package and there was not a copy in the wife/daughter package (***HOW does this happen???? I am amazed actually.***) So, all VJ should make sure they have a photocopy at minimum of all of their official diocuments like marriage, birth cert, etc etc in their hand carry just to make sure there are no problems at the end. I AM NOT SAYING TO BRING A HUGE PACKAGE WITH ALL OF THE EVIDENCE YOU BROUGHT TO THE VISA INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BRING A HUGE PACKAGE!!!!! They went to secondary and it looked bad for a few minutes that they would not be allowed to clear and enter because of a simple issue. They called the supervisors and they all worked it out...they ended up using daughter's Birth Certificate because it listed the Husband as the Husband of the mother and Father of the daughter. They were trying to find evidence of Husband/Wife relationship. If she had copy of Marriage cert in her hand carry... she could have showed it and the question could have been solved by the original IO instead of causing a freak out, LOL. I am quite certain that if they had been VJers, they would have had copy, LOL. In the end, everybody in our plane cleared, but the Wife/Daughter had to rebook their follow on flight since it took so long. The Hawaiian Airlines Staff were waiting for all of "Their People" to clear customs and took them to the ticket counter to rebook another flight. ***From the stories, it is pretty clear to me that all of the Airlines do this...they kind of serve as sherpherds from the background and come forward if their is a clearance problem for any of their flock, etc****

I also seems to me that the IOs are just trying to do their jobs and want to keep feeding the machine... collect the forms, get the fingerprints, check the forms and computer, stamp the visas, say "Welcome to America" and "Next, Please!". The sooner everybody clears, the sooner they can take a break and wait for the next plane load until their shift is over.

3. Throughout our IV Petition experience I have had the building feeling and now that it is complete I KNOW that the average VJer who comes here and researches and asks for help from other VJs KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE RULES AND THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS AS A WHOLE THAN MANY OF THE OFFICIALS WHO ARE WORKING TO PROCESS YOUR VISAS. So, that is a benefit of being a VJ and this forum...use it to your advantage and don't get freaked out or frustrated. Read the FAM 9!!! (Foreign affairs manual section 9, the "notes" have all the info) and the CFR. Make use of the resources available here.

Anyway, I'm glad we are here in Hawaii. I'm also very glad that I was with my wife and daughter as they entered. I'm also sure they would have cleared fine by themselves...just glad I was there, probably more for me, LOL.

Keep the faith...if you are honestly seeking Immigration Benefits for proper reasons and don't have personal history to keep you out, you will get approved in the end... the only difference is how much time and how many twists and turns your personal Soap Opera takes.

Once again, thanks to all, and keep paying it forward.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

congratulations and god bless you and your family ;)

nanz

AOS Journey:

Filing Date: December 28, 2008

Sent: January 3, 2009

NOA: Febuary 6, 2009

Biometrics: Febuary 18, 2009 (but originally scheduled for Febuary 26, 2009)

AP Approved: April 16, 2009

EAD Approved: May 4, 2009

Welcome Notice: May 14, 2009

"God is really good ALL the time, We praise you Lord"

"When they bring you to trial and hand you over, do not worry before hand about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit." ( Mark 13:11)

"And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." ( Matthew 28:20)

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" ( Matthew 28:9-11)

Congratulations!!! :dance::dance::dance: . Wishing you and your family a lifetime of happiness!!! :thumbs:

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

WISH U ALL THE BEST AND LUCK .....GODBLESS

lifequotes1.gif

AOS-EAD-AP TIMELINE

November 04,2008-Sent AOS package

November 17,2008-NOA date

November 21,2008-recieved NOA hard copy by mail

November 24,2008-Biometrics appt.letter recieved by mail (December 17,2008 -Biometrics Appt.)

November 26,2008- AOS touched (got emailed from CRIS)RFE on AOS

December 09,2008-RFE sent

January 8,2009 -AP approved

January 9,2009-EAD approved(status card production ordered)

January 15,2009- AP in the mailbox

February 14,2009 - EAD card in the mailbox..THANKS GOD..finally...

March 5,2009 - INTERVIEW AOS ( 1:30PM)

April 13,2009-welcome letter in the mailbox....

April 17,2009-GC recieved..Thank u LORD...

JEGO RYU CRBA

Sept.20,2007-sent papers to embassy

Jan.4,2008- USEMBASSY recieved the DNA test result"""'"acquired U.S citizenship"

Jan.15,2008-recieved my son U.S passport and certificate(delivered by fedex

K1

Dec. 14,2007-sent pet.CSC

MAY 1,2008---NOA2 in email(THANKS GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

July 7,2008-INTERVIEW

August 28,2008-FLIGHT(POE-HONOLULU,HAWAII)with my fiance and our son..THANK U GOD....

Sept,24,2008-got married

christian11.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations on your smooth arrival.

VJ.... :thumbs:

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Congrats"!!!!!

God Bless,

Irene

Prayer is the best to start a day...A day for us to have faith to face trials & value what life is....!!! have a nice day to everyone!!!!

LokaShadow04

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! Great review. :thumbs:

I'll be moving to the Big Island in a couple weeks. However our POE will be in WA. Hopefully it goes as well.

Just wondered if IO in Honolulu took their Xrays as they have been known to do.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Just wondered if IO in Honolulu took their Xrays as they have been known to do.

Yes, they kept their Xrays.

Only reason I can come up with for taking them is maybe they make a buck recycling them!! :blink:

Anyway! Aloha nui loa to you and your family here in Hawaii.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.