30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Taxi prices from KBP airport to most hotels in Kiev downtown. Taxi drivers usually charge from 180.00 - 300.00 hryvnia = $38.00 - $62.50 USD.

They will take the most from you if they can get it.

I'll make it easy... call 594-0594 from inside Kiev. This company has many contracted drivers. The company sets the price, then calls a driver.

Ask the price on the phone before agreeing to be picked up. They must have a lot of drivers contracted because every time I called for a taxi, one showed up within two minutes.

Their rate was 120.00 hryvnia = $25.00 USD from KBP to almost anywhere in the city. The same rate was true when traveling from the hotel to the airport.

To go from the hotel to the store that was located 5 miles away, the price was about $3.00 - $10.00 USD.

The drivers' cars all have a lit sign on top. Its yellow with green numbers "077".

The company's name, is something like EKO TAXI - 077

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Brent,

Appreciate the info. With the dollar being on it's but and prices going up over there it is getting crazy. We have to travel to Cherkassy when we are there and it is up to 350 hryvnia each time. Do you know if that cab company goes south or just into Kiev?

Thanks,

Scott

No longer in the hands of the USCIS, for my wife at least, next up MIL.

Brent,

Appreciate the info. With the dollar being on it's but and prices going up over there it is getting crazy. We have to travel to Cherkassy when we are there and it is up to 350 hryvnia each time. Do you know if that cab company goes south or just into Kiev?

Thanks,

Scott

For sure it does. We were near that same area doing some visiting of relatives of my wife's. You may want to have someone else who speaks Russian make the call. I must say that I had never called this company personally, just for the fact that as soon as you are ID'd as a travler or tourist, almost always the price goes up.

Timeline

It is amazing how the prices change...Whenever we are there she does the talking. If we get into a cab it depends upon the cab whether I talk or not. No meter = no talking, meter not used = no talking, meter being used = I get to talk. It is the same in the markets, she talks, I listen. My Russian and Ukrainian language skills are in need of serious help.

It is amazing how the prices change...Whenever we are there she does the talking. If we get into a cab it depends upon the cab whether I talk or not. No meter = no talking, meter not used = no talking, meter being used = I get to talk. It is the same in the markets, she talks, I listen. My Russian and Ukrainian language skills are in need of serious help.

Yep, :lol: I know just what you mean! It was fun for me while it lasted. I'd do it all over again. :thumbs:

Timeline

So do it! Just take a vacation over there and enjoy. Take a couple of single friends and see what happens. The women are everywhere, as you know. And as you also know, they are very nice. Most are sincere, just go for it. If nothing else, you will have a great vacation. Go to an area that is different from where you would have gone. Buy Rosetta Stone and get your language skills up where it needs to be and take a vacation.

So do it! Just take a vacation over there and enjoy. Take a couple of single friends and see what happens. The women are everywhere, as you know. And as you also know, they are very nice. Most are sincere, just go for it. If nothing else, you will have a great vacation. Go to an area that is different from where you would have gone. Buy Rosetta Stone and get your language skills up where it needs to be and take a vacation.

That does sound good! It will be cold there soon. So its a plan for the spring in 2009. Yes, the women are everywhere! I've been there about a dozen times.

Timeline

My point exactly. I went back and read your post about what happened. When it was time to come here my wife started to drag her feet a little. I had already come back and I basically told her to just get to the airport. It was fine. Every now and then she gets 'home sick' and gets the feelings about having to help everyone at 'home'. A trip back cures that for awhile. We will always help her parents, when we can. But the trip last month was an eye opener as far as the rest of her family was concerned. There was some of the expectations of giving that we just didn't have this time. Except her parents the others became a little distant. Her parents would accept very little, they just wanted to see us. Her friends were also great.

If you get the language down, you can have a blast there with or without anyone from here. You already have a head start on the cultural differences.

My point exactly. I went back and read your post about what happened. When it was time to come here my wife started to drag her feet a little. I had already come back and I basically told her to just get to the airport. It was fine. Every now and then she gets 'home sick' and gets the feelings about having to help everyone at 'home'. A trip back cures that for awhile. We will always help her parents, when we can. But the trip last month was an eye opener as far as the rest of her family was concerned. There was some of the expectations of giving that we just didn't have this time. Except her parents the others became a little distant. Her parents would accept very little, they just wanted to see us. Her friends were also great.

If you get the language down, you can have a blast there with or without anyone from here. You already have a head start on the cultural differences.

Sounds like you know from experience. Interesting, because I am taking a Russian class at night now, and finding it tough to keep up. My fiance' tells me not to worry, because she will help me practice every day soon. I just wonder how people are perceived in Ukraine as they struggle to communicate in Russian or Ukrainian. I have been playing at this for years (Rosetta Stone, tutors, etc.) but need something a little more intense to make it stick. I ask the question because Americans can be fairly cold towards some one who doesn't speak English well. Ukrainians seem to be much more tolerant - as are europeans generally. Your thoughts?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

MY Russian stinks, but I find that any effort you make is appreciated. They will laugh WITH you when you screw up as opposed to here whare the laugh AT you. I have a few people over there that I yalk to when we are there and it is kind of funny to watch. One is the husband of a friend of my wifes. He speaks/understand almost no English, but yet we 'talk' for hours, him in Russian and me in English. A lot of hand signals with an occasional "Honey come help". A lot of Americans have no patience for it, Ukrainians seem to be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Just my humble opinion...

MY Russian stinks, but I find that any effort you make is appreciated. They will laugh WITH you when you screw up as opposed to here whare the laugh AT you. I have a few people over there that I yalk to when we are there and it is kind of funny to watch. One is the husband of a friend of my wifes. He speaks/understand almost no English, but yet we 'talk' for hours, him in Russian and me in English. A lot of hand signals with an occasional "Honey come help". A lot of Americans have no patience for it, Ukrainians seem to be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Just my humble opinion...

Drat - I was hoping for a view from "the other side" :) Vika's relatives and I talk a bit too, but my Russian is so limited it takes me forever to express a thought. Her dad and uncle like to play "who has the craziest President" with a real live American.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Did you get Rosetta Stone? What is it like? We prety much stick to English here because she needs it, though she is geting my sarcastic sense of humor. I found that in stores you can always find someone who speaks English and besides she won't let me stray very far, I am really sociable and will talk to most anyone, she is afraid that I will wander off while talking and get lost. lol

Timeline
Taxi prices from KBP airport to most hotels in Kiev downtown. Taxi drivers usually charge from 180.00 - 300.00 hryvnia = $38.00 - $62.50 USD.

I'll make it easy... call 594-0594 from inside Kiev. This company has many contracted drivers. The company sets the price, then calls a driver.

Ask the price on the phone before agreeing to be picked up. They must have a lot of drivers contracted because every time I called for a taxi, one showed up within two minutes.

Their rate was 120.00 hryvnia = $25.00 USD from KBP to almost anywhere in the city. The same rate was true when traveling from the hotel to the airport.

To go from the hotel to the store that was located 5 miles away, the price was about $3.00 - $10.00 USD.

The drivers' cars all have a lit sign on top. Its yellow with green numbers "077".

Here is the name and number of a private driver I use in Kiev. He charges me $25 from the airport (round trip) since my fiancee would usually arrive before me, he would pick her up at the flat and then come to the airport (why not, he is coming from the city anyway) I am sure he would also go to Cherkassy, or anywhere else, if you are willing to pay. I once hired him to take my fiancee around Kiev all day to visit her business clients, he drove her all day, waited for her at her appointments and then took her to the next...he charged $50.

Sergey, driver 011-39-067-158-00-60 Alla had to travel quite a bit for her business and had a bunch of numbers for private drivers in many cities. She could always get us a car in less than 15 minutes and for a good price. But this guy was her favorite. He is a very nice young man and would always help her with her bags.

I would suggest calling him ahead of time to make a "reservation" as he keeps pretty busy. Also there is a bus that goes from the airport to the train station with only one stop, it is 25 hryvnia. They leave every few minutes and it is a big Greyhound type bus and will take your baggage also. From the train station taxis are much cheaper. Also, you can sometimes get a good deal from the drivers hanging out at the airport, there is like 10,000 of them. Taxis from the city charge a premium to go to the airport because they often end up waiting for their passenger, especially from international flights. I have discovered many of the drivers there have had a paying customer to take there and drop off. They already made some money and are looking for someone to make a few bucks going back to the city. They always seem in a hurry. It is because they know they have another passenger in the city soon and need to get back so they quickly want to get a fare back or they have to go empty. Negotiate with them and you can get a good deal

Another suggestion, ALWAYS get some small hryvnia notes. The exchange places want to give you 100's and 200's and NO ONE has change for that. Give back some big bills and ask them for 10's and 20's or the Taxi drivers are glad to "keep the change". I got my best exchange rate at the ATMs (but not the bandit in the airport!) Drivers used to gladly accept US dollars but now are reluctant or want to give you a bad exchange rate. If you have a stopover on the way, pick up a few Euros at an ATM somewhere else in Europe, they will take those more readily now and give a good exchange. OR ask the driver to stop at an ATM before you get to your destination. I was getting 473 UAH per $100 USD from the ATMs in August. The banks were giving 450-463 UAH per $100 and drivers were giving something like 420! Usually my fiancee met me and she took care of paying for the driver since she knew I would have not exchanged money yet, but they will stop at an ATM if you ask them.

The exchange rates you see posted outside the banks have nothing to do with what their ATM gives you, but it is a good reference. I always have to adjust a bit when I get back and check my account online. Normally I get a better rate than posted.

Alla says it has gotten a little better since then. Whenever I get the small 1 and 2 UAH notes I fold those in my pocket for bus and trolley and little bus fare.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Here is the name and number of a private driver I use in Kiev. He charges me $25 from the airport (round trip) since my fiancee would usually arrive before me, he would pick her up at the flat and then come to the airport (why not, he is coming from the city anyway) I am sure he would also go to Cherkassy, or anywhere else, if you are willing to pay. I once hired him to take my fiancee around Kiev all day to visit her business clients, he drove her all day, waited for her at her appointments and then took her to the next...he charged $50.

Sergey, driver 011-39-067-158-00-60 Alla had to travel quite a bit for her business and had a bunch of numbers for private drivers in many cities. She could always get us a car in less than 15 minutes and for a good price. But this guy was her favorite. He is a very nice young man and would always help her with her bags.

I would suggest calling him ahead of time to make a "reservation" as he keeps pretty busy. Also there is a bus that goes from the airport to the train station with only one stop, it is 25 hryvnia. They leave every few minutes and it is a big Greyhound type bus and will take your baggage also. From the train station taxis are much cheaper. Also, you can sometimes get a good deal from the drivers hanging out at the airport, there is like 10,000 of them. Taxis from the city charge a premium to go to the airport because they often end up waiting for their passenger, especially from international flights. I have discovered many of the drivers there have had a paying customer to take there and drop off. They already made some money and are looking for someone to make a few bucks going back to the city. They always seem in a hurry. It is because they know they have another passenger in the city soon and need to get back so they quickly want to get a fare back or they have to go empty. Negotiate with them and you can get a good deal

Another suggestion, ALWAYS get some small hryvnia notes. The exchange places want to give you 100's and 200's and NO ONE has change for that. Give back some big bills and ask them for 10's and 20's or the Taxi drivers are glad to "keep the change". I got my best exchange rate at the ATMs (but not the bandit in the airport!) Drivers used to gladly accept US dollars but now are reluctant or want to give you a bad exchange rate. If you have a stopover on the way, pick up a few Euros at an ATM somewhere else in Europe, they will take those more readily now and give a good exchange. OR ask the driver to stop at an ATM before you get to your destination. I was getting 473 UAH per $100 USD from the ATMs in August. The banks were giving 450-463 UAH per $100 and drivers were giving something like 420! Usually my fiancee met me and she took care of paying for the driver since she knew I would have not exchanged money yet, but they will stop at an ATM if you ask them.

The exchange rates you see posted outside the banks have nothing to do with what their ATM gives you, but it is a good reference. I always have to adjust a bit when I get back and check my account online. Normally I get a better rate than posted.

Alla says it has gotten a little better since then. Whenever I get the small 1 and 2 UAH notes I fold those in my pocket for bus and trolley and little bus fare.

very good information! thank you much! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.