Fettman

Social Security Application Process

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Does the initial application have to happen before the wedding? I know I should wait two weeks after her arrival to apply, however, our wedding will occur about one week after that. It seems silly to apply and then have to go back and get her name changed on the card, but if that is the case then silliness it is.

Also, what did you all use for your form of other identification when applying, i.e. identification besides the passport?

Thanks!

- Steven

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does the initial application have to happen before the wedding? I know I should wait two weeks after her arrival to apply, however, our wedding will occur about one week after that. It seems silly to apply and then have to go back and get her name changed on the card, but if that is the case then silliness it is.

Also, what did you all use for your form of other identification when applying, i.e. identification besides the passport?

Thanks!

- Steven

If you apply before and the card is issued in her current name, you can wait until greencard is issued to change the name, because you are going back to the SSA anyways.

Passport, K-1 visa & I-94 is all we had to provide.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
No. She can apply for an SSN whenever she wants, or not at all.

My wife (fiance at the time) applied for one the day after she arrived here. No problems.

As for ID used - she used her passport and the state ID card that she got at the previous stop.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
No. She can apply for an SSN whenever she wants, or not at all.

Almost, A K-1 needs to apply sometime between day 1 and day 76 of entry or wait until EAD or greencard...

YMMV

Timeline
Almost, A K-1 needs to apply sometime between day 1 and day 76 of entry or wait until EAD or greencard...
Almost, A K-1 may apply any time between day 76 and EAD. However, being approved is a different matter entirely.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline

I have gone through this twice. Yes, you can apply the day she arrives but she won't be in the system and they have to hold the application until she is in the system. If the crew at your local SS office is as on the ball as our local office it is not worth it. Wait the two weeks until she is in the system.

My wife came in through JFK and got the EAD stamp on her I-94 which saved a lot of confusion at the SS office. A K-1 visa holder automatically has EAD but without the stamp it is a harder sell. With my first Fiancee I printed out the SS letter ruling covering this but still it was not easy going. If you don't do it before day 76 then you have to wait until she gets her EAD as part of the AOS process. She is out of status and not eligable to apply for a SS number at that stage. In our case we were not allowed to do a name change until after the EAD. We had the number but could not convert it to her married name, really stupid.

Yes, with a quick marriage you would save a trip to the office for a name change. There could be a small risk of some issues of a different name than on the I-94 but I doubt it would come up.

My experiences with the SS office left me underimpressed. I think we had about 10 trips getting everything done including about 4 or 5 where they lost all the paperwork. With one or two of those they called us to come in and when we got there could not find any records of anything and we had to start over.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Good information here :thumbs: It looks like application after marraige, but before day 76 (for a K-1 holder) solves both problems?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
Good information here :thumbs: It looks like application after marraige, but before day 76 (for a K-1 holder) solves both problems?

Yes, thanks for all the responses and advice, it also sounds to me that I can wait until after our marriage to avoid having to do the name change thing.

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, thanks for all the responses and advice, it also sounds to me that I can wait until after our marriage to avoid having to do the name change thing.

That is if you are not planning to work before EAD. You can only apply for SSN before getting married becouse once you do you are no longer a fiancee of USC so your visa is done and you can only apply as wife with EAD.

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Timeline
That is if you are not planning to work before EAD. You can only apply for SSN before getting married becouse once you do you are no longer a fiancee of USC so your visa is done and you can only apply as wife with EAD.

This is wrong. What matters is your immigration status as granted to you upon admittance to the USA, not your marital status that may have changed post admittance. Once you are admitted on K-1 status you remain K-1 status until you adjust your status (with an I-485 application)...

Do you happen to work for the SSA? Because this is the same information that they try to say, but when shown the rules they are proved wrong time and time again.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

This is wrong. What matters is your immigration status as granted to you upon admittance to the USA, not your marital status that may have changed post admittance. Once you are admitted on K-1 status you remain K-1 status until you adjust your status (with an I-485 application)...

Do you happen to work for the SSA? Because this is the same information that they try to say, but when shown the rules they are proved wrong time and time again.

OK then, to clarify, if a K-1 holder applies after marriage, but before day 76, the name is correct and she can work?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

OK then, to clarify, if a K-1 holder applies after marriage, but before day 76, the name is correct and she can work?

They are eligible to apply for a SSN..... SSN by itself is not work authorization.

YMMV

Timeline
Yes. However, she may run into some issues. My understanding is as follows:

1). A K-1 can work the moment she steps into the country, with or without a stamp in her passport. However, this right expires 90 days after she enters the country.

2). The social security card she will get when she applies based on her K-1 visa will be stamped "valid only with DHS authorization". May employers believe this means she must have an EAD card. This is not correct. The K-1 visa itself gives her the authorization, but almost no employer will accept it as such. Odds are good that even with the social security card, she will be out of luck with most employers until she gets the EAD.

3). She can't apply for an EAD until you apply for AOS.

4). It is very likely that EAD will take 60 days or more to receive after applying. By law, they have to issue it within 90 days, otherwise you can go to your local USCIS pitstop and demand the passport stamp.

So, all things considered, although a K-1 CAN work with just an SSN, the odds of actually being able to are low and he situation will not get any better until 60-90 days after you apply for AOS. This is one reason why it is advantageous to get married as soon as possible after she enters the country. The sooner she does that, the sooner she can apply for AOS and EAD and the sooner she can get her ### to work.

FWIW, she can apply for the SSN the day she arrives. Even if she is not "in the system" they will put in the info and wait for verification and your card will show up in the mail in a week or two. That's what we did - it worked out fine. I don't see any advantage at all to waiting, for the purpose of getting into the system or avoiding the name change issue. Going back for the name change issue is really no more complicated from the office point of view than going in there the first time with a marriage certificate. It's a fairly routine transaction, changing one's name at the social security office. If you're concerned about getting her to work as soon as possible, better to get in there as soon as possible.

FWIW, my sweetie wanted to work as soon as possible, but didn't bother seriously looking for a job until she was notified that EAD was on the way. Then she took a job within a week, and found a really good job in about a month. Prior to this, she volunteered in the local library for 25 hours/week or so, just to get out and about, give her something to do, and start building a local reference for when she did apply for jobs.

Edited by akdiver

Timeline
3). She can't apply for an EAD until you apply for AOS.

Yes you can... It is under class A 6 instead of C 9

K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) of U.S. Citizen or K-2 Dependent--( a)(6 ). File your EAD application if you are filing within 90 days from the date of entry.

This EAD cannot be renewed. Any EAD application other than for a replacement must be based on your pending application for adjustment under ( c)( 9).

YMMV

Timeline
Yes you can... It is under class A 6 instead of C 9

K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) of U.S. Citizen or K-2 Dependent--( a)(6 ). File your EAD application if you are filing within 90 days from the date of entry.This EAD cannot be renewed. Any EAD application other than for a replacement must be based on your pending application for adjustment under ( c)( 9).

Yes, but it will expire after being in the country for 90 days (same as your K-1 visa). Given that it takes some 60 days to issue, even if you apply the day you get here, it will only be useful to you for about 30 days or so. At which time, you'll have to quit whatever job you may have found - unless you apply for AOS and associated EAD and receive that second EAD before then. Given the time lines, delays and costs, it's not worth the bother.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.