Nutty

Husband had his first job interview today!

81 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Yup :lol: He was nervous the machine would damage his clothes (not like they were super expensive anyway) and then concerned about the amount of water it used, until I told him I don't pay for water, then concerned about the electricity that it consumed and wanting to know how much I pay for that :wacko:

Another part was just not knowing how to use it and having always washed his clothes by hand. He washed my clothes by hand as well every single time that I was there.... Washed them, took them to the roof, hung them up, took them down when dry (about 25 minutes in a Tunisian summer lol ) and pressed them and folded them, put them all away in his sister's cabinet that I used :wub:

When he got here it just carried over, spending a life time doing his laundry this way. But I finally snapped after days or weeks (can't recall?) of my bathroom having clothes of all shapes and forms hanging from every surface possible and put his stuff in the machine and it came out so clean and smelled so good that he was thrilled and said teach me how to use these things.. I did and now he's the washing man.. Wants to put everything inside of there :blush:

:unsure: Jihed too... deodorant... showers 1-2 times a day, and washing 5 times a day for prayer, brushes his teeth at least once a day if not more, cologne sometimes but not too often.. Although I admit he's totally guilty of wearing shirts and jeans 3 or 4 times.... 99% it's fine because he's very clean but once in a while if he goes outside on a hot day then tries to wear that shirt again I have to give it a big NO! (But that's not a MENA thing my American step father and brothers do it too... Funky men!!! )

He was weary of the washing machine when he first got here.. Just having never had one before and was in fear it would damage his clothes, spent a few weeks hand washing them and hanging them to dry .. my bathroom looked like a MENA balcony or roof top!! .. but now it's his best friend and there is never anything in the hamper because he thinks it's the cat's meow to run the machines :blush:

sofyan wears deodarent and brushes daily...I thought Hindus didnt wear deodarent, not arab

Washing his clothes all the time by hand???? OMG! That is soo funny! What a labor of love (for ones own clothes).

Hindus wear deodorant. At least the sell it in the shops. But it is soooo expensive (more than here in USA).

My husband is the washing man too. But tell him the difference between darks (cold water), whites (hot water), delicates (cold, don't put in the dryer) and he is completely lost. I just had two nice new blouses ruined due to this. Didn't say anything, he just needs to observe as we go along on the domestic chores. Gotta say, since my melt down last week he has been soooooo much better about doing stuff without me asking him to do it. The construction work being done yesterday on my apartment left black dust on/around the windows and he was wiping it all down as I came home from work.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
My husband was offered the job, contingent on him having a car. The salary was extremely low, but that is not a problem. We consider it a "probationary" salary to be renegotiated after three months.

Im thinking the deodorant thing with my husband has something to do with his skin being so sensitive. I'm going to flat out ask him. Like I said he doesn't smell but his skin is so sensitive if you rub it, it seems to get like welts on it. He has an allergist appointment tomorrow, watch him be allergic to me. Just kidding...

So any news? How did the interview go? My hubby takes a test for AK Steel today. I have no clue how that will go.

It went VERY WELL!!!

The man offered the job. But my husband needs a car to get there since he will be "on call." So today my husband is taking the written portion of his drivers test and must make appointment for the driving test. Now we need to get a car.

Nutty, how did the interview go?

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Thank God! My husband has excellent teeth!!! Better than mine! a full set (YIKES! Meant to say he has no crowns, like me. I have all my teeth!)

Of course you all realize (I am sure) that the only reason to go to the dentist is when your tooth hurts. And of course no reason for x-rays because there is only one tooth that has a problem. :whistle:

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

It's funny that my guy is washing clothes now after leaving it for me initially. I had to show him how to use the washer so many times before he got the hang of it.

Apparently, before we moved in together he would let the guy he shared with do his laundry. And his friend was even younger by about 6yrs.

I'm wondering how to nicely point out that my man will have to take care of his hygeine better in the states. BO and bad teeth are something people will notice more than your well-styled and gelled hair.

:whistle:

KS....i just wanted to say I have never smelled one funky smellin Indian in INDIA

however, here in US..different story., and I lived over there for quite sometime

also, I never really smelled Arabs in Morocco too, but, I have seen first hand from, my sweetie, :angry:

that some of these guys need a class in HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!

I wanted to add that my husband also has perfectly straight teeth and gorgeous smile

you know how many times, IN HIS LIFE, he was fortunate enough to go the to the dentist? :unsure:

well i am surprised, the people who dont frequent the dentist seem to not have as many cavities or problems

but those of us who are diligent and take extreme care suffer....mmmm why is that?

Filed: Timeline

Nutty, hope the interview goes well and if this one is not meant to be, I hope there will be more and SOON :)

I have to thank god my hubby has his cleaning (house/body/teeth) OCD's. Ever since I met him..he's been obsessed a bit. He has to have his coordinating cologne, body spray, body wash, deodorant. :whistle: You should have seen his expression when he saw all the choices we have here in the US. :blink::blink:

I don't think its a cultural thing...about wearing clothing several times or deodorant...its just the way someone is raised and the habits they form.

You forgot to mention.. once he cleans or organizes it.. DON'T TOUCH HIS STUFF!!! :lol::devil:

I agree, it's an individual thing and not a culture thing.... For instance Jihed showers all the time, teeth, deo, doesn't smell, etc (Only thing is he thinks if a shirt was only worn a few hours that it's fine to wear it again another day ) BUT

My american brothers... :whistle: They don't always have the best habits.. they shower and brush teeth, but the clothes thing is an ongoing argument with them and my mother... maybe their ages... 17 and 19 but they need a kick in the pants sometimes... So again I don't think it's a "MENA" thing .. But that it can just be a "men" thing.. And I've known a few woman that could have used some help in the personal hygiene department too!!!! Yuck!

Nutty, hope the interview goes well and if this one is not meant to be, I hope there will be more and SOON :)

I have to thank god my hubby has his cleaning (house/body/teeth) OCD's. Ever since I met him..he's been obsessed a bit. He has to have his coordinating cologne, body spray, body wash, deodorant. :whistle: You should have seen his expression when he saw all the choices we have here in the US. :blink::blink:

I don't think its a cultural thing...about wearing clothing several times or deodorant...its just the way someone is raised and the habits they form.

Again we have to mention OCD man, OCD! :devil:

You forgot to mention.. once he cleans or organizes it.. DON'T TOUCH HIS STUFF!!! :lol::devil:

I agree, it's an individual thing and not a culture thing.... For instance Jihed showers all the time, teeth, deo, doesn't smell, etc (Only thing is he thinks if a shirt was only worn a few hours that it's fine to wear it again another day ) BUT

My american brothers... :whistle: They don't always have the best habits.. they shower and brush teeth, but the clothes thing is an ongoing argument with them and my mother... maybe their ages... 17 and 19 but they need a kick in the pants sometimes... So again I don't think it's a "MENA" thing .. But that it can just be a "men" thing.. And I've known a few woman that could have used some help in the personal hygiene department too!!!! Yuck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Count me in, I guess! I think it's wasteful to wash clothes after wearing them only once.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Count me in, I guess! I think it's wasteful to wash clothes after wearing them only once.

If I've only worn something for a few hours I will air it out. If I've worn it on a hot and humid Tallahassee day, I will be washing that item. I also think we all know when something smells that we would not want to wear it again...has that sour smell. :blink:

Like you are so well known that people would point on the streets at you (if your husband posted something on a anonymous(sp?) website).

I don't tell me friends or my family - and here really, the other women can relate.

OMG! I would be so embarrassed if my husband posted about any of my habits that he found distasteful on a forum.

My point is not that someone might recognize me on the streets. For me, the thought of my husband commenting or complaining about my hygiene or personal habits to people on a forum is devastating. Whether I found out what he said or not is not what would even matter. Just the thought of my husband saying such things about me is upsetting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
funny thing is when i met him the first time i told him his breath stinks did he brush his teeth. he said no i dont brush them but every maybe 5 days and his teeth were perfect....not one cavity. well i wasnt putting up with bad breath so i demanded he start brushing them and now he is getting cavities. how can that be possible?

He has changed something in his diet then. Even eating the same foods but processed will give you carries. It's not related to tooth brushing.

I wouldn't marry someone if I felt they had less than perfect hygiene because I honestly couldn't deal with it. Ammar showers daily if not multiple times (depends on what we're doing, if he goes outside and works he showers after that). he did this in jordan as well. He brushes, he wears deoderant and he loves cologne, but doesn't wear it to work usually. He generally smells neutral-- like when you smell your bedsheets after they have been washed... a slight perfume is all. Sometimes he smells like sage and cinnamon, but that's usually if he is happy.

As to the washing question, this can be a function of lack of water-- many come from an arid area.. but also, clothes don't alwas get really dirty after you wear them. i wash my clothes on a case-to-case basis. If I wear something for 4 hours and didn't sweat on it, I don't see the harm in putting it in the closet and re-wearing. Obviously some things get washed after one wear-- like underwear-- but jeans? Nah.

sofyan wears deodarent and brushes daily...I thought Hindus didnt wear deodarent, not arab

Hindu is a religion... and that would be on a case by case basis like any other group of people :)

My husband spends the whole day in the shower - he never gets out! He's so clean I could eat off of him! And he smells like roses!

jg6w06.jpg

LOL! Awesome.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline
Like you are so well known that people would point on the streets at you (if your husband posted something on a anonymous(sp?) website).

I don't tell me friends or my family - and here really, the other women can relate.

OMG! I would be so embarrassed if my husband posted about any of my habits that he found distasteful on a forum.

My point is not that someone might recognize me on the streets. For me, the thought of my husband commenting or complaining about my hygiene or personal habits to people on a forum is devastating. Whether I found out what he said or not is not what would even matter. Just the thought of my husband saying such things about me is upsetting.

Well, since you are not my husband, you need not concern yourself about it.

Timeline

You KNOW my husband then!!! He is very picky with his stuff! After I got a computer, he is very picky about how hard I tap the key-board and insisting "I be patient while it warms up." Now it is "his computer." :P

Timeline

I think cavities in teeth is directly related to calcium in our diet growing up and suger consumption as children.

If you have hard teeth and don't eat suger as a child, you can get away without seeing a dentist much.

I wanted to add that my husband also has perfectly straight teeth and gorgeous smile

you know how many times, IN HIS LIFE, he was fortunate enough to go the to the dentist? :unsure:

well i am surprised, the people who dont frequent the dentist seem to not have as many cavities or problems

but those of us who are diligent and take extreme care suffer....mmmm why is that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.