Shep & Kali

Fiancée's moving to Canada! Help!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I guess I need some yenrouJasiV help.

My fiancée and I, after much soul-searching, decided that her moving up here to Canada is the best move. We have a TON of questions -- most of which have been answered, but some are annoyingly hard to pin down answers to.

1. If I'm in Montreal and she's in Atlanta, and we're getting married in Atlanta, where do I get my marriage license? Canada or Atlanta?

2. We're waiting on her Rehabilitation from the Canadian gov't (8-year-old DUI) -- she sent in the form in early July, and we're hoping she can come up and visit in November (with marriage and move next March). Does that sound reasonable? Would the border folks really turn away my SPOUSE at the border for an 8-year-old DUI?

3. I know that she can ship her goods up here without paying duty, but what's the cheapest method? We're paring down her stuff before the move, but we're basically talking about 1000 books, some kitchen stuff, clothes etc. Probably about as much stuff as would fit in a large well-packed pick-up.

There don't seem to be any "moving to Canada!" forums that are as comprehensive as VJ, but if you can recommend any resources, I'd be grateful!

Filed: Other Timeline

1. If I'm in Montreal and she's in Atlanta, and we're getting married in Atlanta, where do I get my marriage license? Canada or Atlanta?

You apply for the license in the city/county in which youre to be married. In your case, Atlanta.

2. We're waiting on her Rehabilitation from the Canadian gov't (8-year-old DUI) -- she sent in the form in early July, and we're hoping she can come up and visit in November (with marriage and move next March). Does that sound reasonable? Would the border folks really turn away my SPOUSE at the border for an 8-year-old DUI?

My husband was turned away for a 20+ year old juvenile charge. So yeah, she can be turned away for an 8 year old DUI, which in Canada is a severe offence.

3. I know that she can ship her goods up here without paying duty, but what's the cheapest method? We're paring down her stuff before the move, but we're basically talking about 1000 books, some kitchen stuff, clothes etc. Probably about as much stuff as would fit in a large well-packed pick-up.

If she's driving up, she can bring it herself, once she has her PR (not before). Or she can send it UPS or FedEx or USPS.

There don't seem to be any "moving to Canada!" forums that are as comprehensive as VJ, but if you can recommend any resources, I'd be grateful! http://roadtocanada.com is very comprehensive and is the Canada equivalent of VJ.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

you know what...i've been thinking the same thing...i feel like i dont want to move to U.S anymore...i like Canada...we just thought it would be a shorter time to wait if he files for a fiancee visa...but obviously we're wrong...what is the reason of your decision that your fiancee moves to Canada instead?( if you dont mind my asking)...you're right we should start that forum..."the U-turn forum"

Edited by angie007

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.