marchelove

country of birth vs. country of citizenship--where to retreive birth certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I was born in Indonesia, but my citizenship is Japan (i have a japanese passport).

So I assumed that I just need the birth certificate from Japan and already got it from Japan.

However, I talked to an immigration attorney on the phone today and she said that she's not sure whether immigration will accept that or not..that i might need it from Indonesia..

Is there anyone like me in the same situation who was born in a different country as their citizenship?

Anybody know whether I can just submit the certificate from Japan or get it from Indonesia?

I personally think that it should be okay with the one from japan...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

How did you get a birth certificate from a country you weren't born in? Do they create one for you because you are a citizen there? I had no idea. :unsure:

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I agree with the above poster! Also, I imagine you acquired the Japanese citizenship through naturalization, is that right?

You can only have ONE birth certificate, you were born in ONE plae only. If you acquired another citizenship later, you'll have a naturalization certificate but you can not have another birth certificate other than the one of the country you were born.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I agree with the above poster! Also, I imagine you acquired the Japanese citizenship through naturalization, is that right?

You can only have ONE birth certificate, you were born in ONE plae only. If you acquired another citizenship later, you'll have a naturalization certificate but you can not have another birth certificate other than the one of the country you were born.

Does your Japanese "birth certificate" certify where, when and to which parents you were born?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Does your Japanese "birth certificate" certify where, when and to which parents you were born?

Yes! in Japan it is actually a "family registry", there is no such thing as a "birth certificate". My japanese friends who have applied for AOS got this "family registry" document.

But still, I was hoping that this should be okay like my friends have been, even though I was born in a different country...

I don't know how and when the naturalization occured but from what i know my citizenship has always been Japan because we can not have dual citizenship in Japan...so i believed my parents had to chose for me when I was born?

but I am still unsure...

Do I need a "naturalization certificate" like Eric_and_Teresa said?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes! in Japan it is actually a "family registry", there is no such thing as a "birth certificate". My japanese friends who have applied for AOS got this "family registry" document.

But still, I was hoping that this should be okay like my friends have been, even though I was born in a different country...

I don't know how and when the naturalization occured but from what i know my citizenship has always been Japan because we can not have dual citizenship in Japan...so i believed my parents had to chose for me when I was born?

but I am still unsure...

Do I need a "naturalization certificate" like Eric_and_Teresa said?

China doesn't have birth certificates for most people either. What they do is take their family registry to the Notary and get a certificate of birth after the fact.

Since you weren't born in Japan, you would need a birth certificate from your country of birth. If not available, there are instructions for what to do instead. See the I-129F instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

This is very interesting - personally I know friends who were born in a foreign country ( because the family had military service ) but because the hospital they were born in was seen to be British soil they considered themselves born in Britain.

Wonder if you have similar circumstances ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i dont know i was born in guatemala and adopted .........my adoption records are sealed

so the only birth certificate i have is from the usa but it states i was born in guatemala to my adoptive parents...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This is very interesting - personally I know friends who were born in a foreign country ( because the family had military service ) but because the hospital they were born in was seen to be British soil they considered themselves born in Britain.

Wonder if you have similar circumstances ?

Yes, that happened to my sister. She was born in a hospital in Germany, but my parents were both serving military. She was issued a British certificate but it was noted she was born in Wegburg, Germany.

Edited by LauraUK

I suggest you get a birth certificate from Indonesia if you can.

It is safer to have them both.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.