Yaads

Yardie Cookbook

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am open to just about anything. My best friend is Indian (she's from South Africa and her husband is Indian) so I have a lot of Indian recipes - Lebanese kababs sound good! I just like trying food from different cultures

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am open to just about anything. My best friend is Indian (she's from South Africa and her husband is Indian) so I have a lot of Indian recipes - Lebanese kababs sound good! I just like trying food from different cultures

:yes: I love trying new food. Any recipes are welcomed!

Sus...have you ever checked out the "Sultans Kitchen" in the MENA forum. Great recipes!

Timeline
I missed that - Sounds like dukunu then -

http://www.belizeans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21213

Yeah! I think it was that! Thanx. Got a recipe? :whistle:

I think I know what you mean - each caribbean nation calls it something else.

Guyana and Barbados: we call it conkie

Virgin Islands: I think its called fungee

Belize, etc: dunkanoo

Jamaica: Blue Drawers (LOL Leave it to yardies!LOL)

It varies what you make it with - sometimes cornmeal, fresh corn, ripe plantains, pumpkin etc.

My favorite is by my aunt in London who uses cornmeal, coconut and pumpkin.

Here is a bajan recipe complete with pictures.

But look at Elizabeth! :thumbs: How yuh knoa suh much?

Blue Drawers :rofl:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I missed that - Sounds like dukunu then -

http://www.belizeans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21213

Yeah! I think it was that! Thanx. Got a recipe? :whistle:

I think I know what you mean - each caribbean nation calls it something else.

Guyana and Barbados: we call it conkie

Virgin Islands: I think its called fungee

Belize, etc: dunkanoo

Jamaica: Blue Drawers (LOL Leave it to yardies!LOL)

It varies what you make it with - sometimes cornmeal, fresh corn, ripe plantains, pumpkin etc.

My favorite is by my aunt in London who uses cornmeal, coconut and pumpkin.

Here is a bajan recipe complete with pictures.

But look at Elizabeth! :thumbs: How yuh knoa suh much?

Blue Drawers :rofl:

Me knoa all dese likkle tings - it me me wan guh pan jeopardy. Alex, I'll take caribbean food named after unmentionables for $1000. :lol: I knew the blue draaaaws would get you! :lol:

Beware of the ital blue draws - no salt no sugar etc. It tastes very.....good for you. LOL

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Whenever I go to a Lebanese restaurant I usually order the lamb skewers. The meat is so tender and tastes good with the yogurt and sprigs of mint leaves. First they bring pita bread, hummus, Lebanese salad and pickled vegetables to your table. Then they bring your meal. I get the skewers of lamb meat served with rice and natural yogurt. Some places serve it with fries instead of rice.

Here's a recipe for the lamb shish kabab.

INGREDIENTS:

2 kg (64 oz)lamb meat, cubed (5 cm)

6 small firm red tomatoes sliced

½ kg (16 oz) lard, chopped

1 tbls vegetable oil

7 small onions, peeled and halved

1 tbls salt

1 tspn ground allspice

1 tspn ground black pepper

1 tspn ground cinnamon

2 medium green bell peppers, chopped into medium pieces

½ cup finely chopped parsley

charcoal

PREPARATION:

Mix meat with onion, spices, salt, lard, parsley, and oil. Place in refrigerator for 4 hours tossing occasionally.

Meanwhile prepare charcoal. Thread meat, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers onto skewers, alternating the ingredients.

Grill over hot coals. Turning several times until tender and browned, about 8 minutes.

Serve hot with salads and appetizers.

Note: If you use bamboo skewers, soak in water for 1 hour before using to keep the exposed portions from burning.

http://www.recipesoflebanon.com/

Timeline
Me knoa all dese likkle tings - it me me wan guh pan jeopardy. Alex, I'll take caribbean food named after unmentionables for $1000. :lol: I knew the blue draaaaws would get you! :lol:

Beware of the ital blue draws - no salt no sugar etc. It tastes very.....good for you. LOL

Yuh wan fi guh pon Jeopardy too? Mi woulda love fi guh pon dere :yes:

Ital anything always tastes very...good for you :lol: Ital tea :dead: Mi nah tun no rasta :no:

Timeline

Yuh wan fi guh pon Jeopardy too? Mi woulda love fi guh pon dere :yes:

Ital anything always tastes very...good for you :lol: Ital tea :dead: Mi nah tun no rasta :no:

:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Hooms, I will try that soon, it sounds good!

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I'm sure you could bake it in the oven but it would probly be better to use a George Foreman grill. I find George Foreman grills work really well if you like grilled food but live in an apartment where u can't have an outdoor grill.

Timeline

Pumpkin Trifle:

* 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix

* 1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix

* 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling

* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

* 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon

* 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping

* 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Directions

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
Pumpkin Trifle:

* 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix

* 1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix

* 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling

* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

* 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon

* 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping

* 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Directions

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Sus I'm going to make this pumpkin truffle for Thanksgiving I hope I don't mess it up.:)

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
It was really easy to do, Quana - One warning, it makes ALOT and it is really rich -

So, what is everyone's favorite Christmas recipe?

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.