GaryC

Married in the US on a visitors visa

15 posts in this topic

Hello! I have a friend that I work with that just married his fiance here in the US. She was on a visitors visa. He didn't know that there are a lot of hoops to jump through and now he is in a real bind.

They have known each other for 4 years, he lived with her (Brazil) for a year or two and he got her a visitors visa. They married last week and now he finds out it was the wrong way to go about things. I told him that I would ask here what the best way to do things is.

The first thing I told him was to get a lawyer!

So his questions are:

What is the best visa to try for. K3 or CR-1

Do they have DCF in Brazil?

How long does the process take?

I told him that his wife would probably need to go back home while all this is going on. She has a 6 month visa. Can she stay for the rest of the visa's duration?

Thank you for your input.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I do believe she is able to do AOS and thus remain in the states if immigration was not the intent prior to arrival.

Does she have any ties to her country?

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

I do believe she is able to do AOS and thus remain in the states if immigration was not the intent prior to arrival.

He admits that it was intended that they get married when he got the visitors visa. I told him it is best not to lie about it.

Hello! I have a friend that I work with that just married his fiance here in the US. She was on a visitors visa. He didn't know that there are a lot of hoops to jump through and now he is in a real bind.

They have known each other for 4 years, he lived with her (Brazil) for a year or two and he got her a visitors visa. They married last week and now he finds out it was the wrong way to go about things. I told him that I would ask here what the best way to do things is.

The first thing I told him was to get a lawyer!

So his questions are:

What is the best visa to try for. K3 or CR-1

Do they have DCF in Brazil?

How long does the process take?

I told him that his wife would probably need to go back home while all this is going on. She has a 6 month visa. Can she stay for the rest of the visa's duration?

Thank you for your input.

Hiya! Please don't take my word for gold, I am sure someone with more experience or knowledge on this will reply soon, but it is my belief that his wife may be able to stay for the duration of her 6 month visa whilst her husband starts her immigration process. The only thing is, when she leaves America, she will not be able to come back into the country until her visa has been approved. As a whole, the k3 is suppose to be quicker but the CR1 is the whole kit and kaboodle. Also, tell him to note that if she stays with him for the whole 6 months, and he starts her immigration process whilst she is there, she will have to have someone keep in touch with her from her home to let her know if she gets anything in the post in regards to when her immigration interview would be etc. She has to have her interview at the American embassy in her home country.

I hope this helps somewhat. Goodluck!

Laura Mitchell

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In that case I would also agree that he seek the advice of an immigration lawyer...

otherwise he can file for a k-3, and I think she can stay until her visa expires but will then have to go back and wait.

Sorry I don't know very much about dcf or cr visas, but someone will be along that can give you a better picture.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

This is not sage advice Chocolaterie. It is said that if you do this, it will be much harder as you will have to prove that you didn't have intent. It is best that she goes back to her own country during the process. There is someone from this site that gave me some really good advice on this and when I remember who the hell it was I will post that persons name lol. grrrrrrrrr...memory is shite...lol

Laura Mitchell

TIMELINE

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
The only thing is, when she leaves America, she will not be able to come back into the country until her visa has been approved.

Why would not she be able to come ?

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

I believe it has to do with the type of visa/passport that her country gives. If she has to apply for a visa to even go to America to visit then she won't be able to come into America once her application for immigration has been started. I have seen this topic posted before and I am sure one of the more veteran VJers will be able to answer more clearly on that. I believe it has to do with intent and the fact that she will already have a possible k3/cr1 visa already pending. It would be in the governments eyes to easy for her to come into the country and stay illegally if you will.

Laura Mitchell

TIMELINE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It would be more challenging for her to visit, but not impossible. She would need to provide evidence of ties to Brazil and it would not hurt to bring her immigration paperwork to prove she is doing things correctly.

There is no reason why she cannot stay for the duration of her I-94, but obviously, she should not overstay!

It sounds like AOS from her position would not be risk-free, but I suspect a lawyer would recommend it anyway. It's all up to their personal risk tolerance at this point. Their best bet would be to file for either the K3 or the CR1, but I don't know enough about Brazil to offer anything sensible.

Bring your friend to VJ, Gary!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Timeline

If when she entered the States at POE she did not lie about why she was here.. ie "if asked are you here to visit your boyfriend... she said no" or if she was asked about getting married and she said no....

Then if she was legally addmitted to the USA on her tourist visa she can do AOS from here and remain until she has her greencard.... the proof and ties to your own country have to be shown at POE after that it would only be picked up on by USCIS if they questioned your marriage...

But the advice from a good Immigration lawyer is a must.... but yes it can be done.....

Kezzie

Edited by Kezzie

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I think that getting married on a visitor's visa was probably not the best plan. In addition to that information that Aussie Wench posted, consider this:

If by visitor visa a form DS-156 was completed, they do ask questions regarding the intent of the visit. Length of stay, purpose of visit, do you intend to work/study... etc. The answers to those questions, as well as the interview, was meant to establish that the person was indeed a "visitor". Those who stray from that do so at their peril, especially if the applicant is not forthcoming at the interview.

Regarding visitor's visas (B2):

"Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment

They plan to remain for a specific, limited time period

They have funds to cover expenses in the United States (e.g. 3 months’ bank statements, salary records, etc)

They have compelling social and economic ties to (wherever)

They have a residence outside the U.S. that they will return to at the conclusion of their visit "

If the applicant does "overcome this presumption" and then do exactly otherwise, I cannot imagine pleasant consequences.

Maybe there is someone here on VJ who has actually done this? Bueller?

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif and 3dflags_rou0001-0001a.gif met in 3dflags_fin0001-0001a.gif

-- From Finland With Love --

11/09/99 . Catrinel moves to Helsinki.

01/10/03 . Robin moves to Helsinki.

23/04/05 . Introduced by a mutual friend.

20/06/05 . First kiss.

14/12/05 - Catrinel visits USA on B2.

16/02/06 . TSC receives I-129F package.

Find out the rest with our timeline!

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profil...l=&id=21703

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There are several of us on here who have adjusted from visitor status; although I did so from the VWP rather than a B2, it is possible. The fact that she has a B2 which it appears she got after they were engaged stands her in good stead, logically, as they felt secure she would return. It is also not illegal to enter the US as a tourist with intent to marry. It is the intent to remain which is the questionable part.

It is possible for her to apply for AOS from here, but it comes down to personal risk tolerance at the end of the day. I suspect that a lawyer will suggest that route, and I also suspect that it would be approved. However, neither I nor anybody else on this site can guarantee that.

Personally, I was not asked at any stage of the AOS process to prove my ties to the UK. But that's my experience.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

robin&catrinel

There is nothing illegal or wrong with getting married in the US whilst on a visitors visa or under the VWP.

If you are granted entry you can make an application to U.S.C.I.S. for an adjustment of status. If your application is approved, U.S.C.I.S. will give you permission to remain in the U.S. whilst you conclude processing your adjustment of status application. If they reject your application, you will be required to depart the U.S. and apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

GaryC

Your friend would be best served consulting an immigration lawyer on the best route to take, as they will be able to advise considering all aspects of your friends circumstances.

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I married my wife while she was on a visitors visa back in april. There was never any intent on getting married by either of us, but it was just one of those wonderful magical things that happend. She has since returned to South Africa and we are now applying for the K3 visa because she had many things in her home to return to ( job, school, family) before she could actually move over here and live with me.

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-16-06-I-129F Arrived in Chicago

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

12-14-06-Arrived at Consulate

01-04-07-Packet 3 Received

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

01-10-07-Medical Examination

02-13-07-Interview in Johannesburg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.