Leyla

MENA men Working with a K1 visa

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Oooooooooo... expedited green card... how'd you do that?

:) by "x'ed" I meant transferred to Cali so we were approved without the interview etc.

Edited by lion_lioness

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
hahaha... oops! :blush:

Wish there was a way to get EADs expedited.

It's really too bad they no longer issue the interim EAD's. They used to allow you to make an infopass 90 days after the NOA1 to get your EAD until the real one was approved. It enabled almost no gap in work authorization as long as you married and sent of your petition immediately after entry.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Babeyeshell - this can be the only stumbling block that I see in your happiness as newlyweds - as very soon your DH will want to contribute and without an EAD he might become depressed. I suggest that during this time, while your husband is waiting for his EAD, that he get into some ESL classes or other activities outside of the home that will help him stay sane. My DH had to wait 5+ months before he could work - he was almost crazy until we found him ESL classes that he went to 5 days a week at our Adult Education Center - they were our lifesaver.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's really too bad they no longer issue the interim EAD's. They used to allow you to make an infopass 90 days after the NOA1 to get your EAD until the real one was approved. It enabled almost no gap in work authorization as long as you married and sent of your petition immediately after entry.

Yeah, it is a bummer when you are trying to do all the right things, but some policies change, and then you have to bear the brunt of it. As much as i am frustrated with USCIS and they make me want to scream, i bet they are underfunded and understaffed, and that's why things happen the way they do.

sigh........

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some people still get lucky and are issued their EAD as soon as the file is looked at.

When we were applying just about everyone sent to Cali. w/out interview got their EAD within 3 months of applying. I haven't been to the AOS forum since, so I don't know what's going on now. We got married the day he arrived (end of Dec. 2007) and I sent in the application as soon as he had a SSN - all-in-all about 3 weeks after arrival. He recieved the EAD the week his temp EAD on his I-94 expired. ::shrug:: I guess it depends on security checks or something bc he also got his GC that week.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
They only offer EAD in NY JFK as Jenn! said. But you could ask for EAD once you get your AOS out ... buut in all reality you would probably get the AOS same time if not before the EAD ... so really in my opinion waste of money! Better now to get him "ready" for life in the US, and ready for working like taking coarses, et. Good luck and wish you both happy happy happiness!

The EAD application is free now (as well as AP application) with the AOS application. You just send all three in together, so why not? I just seperated the three with acco clips and put them in the same envelope. You still have to send all the info for the AOS and it's really just a few extra photocopies.

If you decide to do it later it costs money, so why not cover all your bases and do it when it's free?

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband and I drove across the boarder in El Paso. We asked whether he had authorization to work or not and the immigration officer told us he is able to work. I asked if there was anything we needed and he just told me to go to the next window. When we were there he gave him the I-94 and stamped the visa and his I-94. We brought this to the Social Security office and they said he was able to work. After reading this forum, I read the stamp and it only says Department of US Homeland Security * US Customs and Boarder Patrol Protection * Admitted ELP -- It doesn't say anything about work authorization, but they said it was valid and he was able to work on it. I asked the immigration officer 2 times whether he is legal to work and he assured me he is. (After reading some of the other posts I really hope this is correct :unsure: )

He has been working at a temp job and trying to find a permanent position, but now his I-94 is expired and we are still waiting for his EAD. I read somewhere on the USCIS site that he still has 240 days, and called the national customer service center and they told me he is still able to work for 240 days after it expires as long as he filed for the EAD before it expired, but they don't give him anything showing he's able to. I can't find it anymore on the website and he is having problems with the place he has been working for trying to figure out whether he can still work or not. Does anyone know anything about this?

K-1 Visa

Sept 19, 2007 - Sent K-1 Visa Package

Sept 20, 2007 - Confirmed Package Rec'd in CA Service Center

Nov. 2, 2007 - Receipt Notice Sent from CA Service Center

Feb. 15, 2008 - E-mail from website stating petition was approved

Feb. 22, 200 - Notified by NVC that it was sent to the Consulate

Feb. 28, 2008 - Called consulate, they had received pacakge 2/25/08 told it may take up to 3 months to get package

Mar. 27, 2008 - Received open appointment letter and instruction packet

May 14, 2008 - Arrived in Ciudad Juarez in the evening

May 15, 2008 - Medical Exam done

May 16, 2008 - Consulate (he was inside from 10am-5pm), Visa approved, crossed the boarder and arrived in US

May 28, 2008 - Applied for Social Security Card

May 30, 2008 - Got Married :)

June 9, 2008 - Recieved Social Security Card

June 10, 2008 - Started working

AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008 - Civil Surgeon Appt for Vacccination supplement

July 30, 2008 - Mailed AOS & EAD package

July 31, 2008 - USCIS Rec'd Package

Aug 7, 2008 - Rec'd receipt notice for AOS & EAD

Aug 10, 2008 - Rec'd NOA for Biometrics

Aug 14, 2008 - I-94 expired (no more working)

Aug 28, 2008 - Biometrics Appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.