grva

filing i-129f when you and fiance have a child together?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since everyone seems to be real tense about this whole thing, I've gotten real curious about the form itself (i-129f). My fiance and i have a very unique story. Most would say we have an advantage to getting approved and that's our daughter. The thing is, we never got married after having our daughter, and as for the form, there's a question about the fiance's kids (a listing), which i'm quite sure is for possible k-2 visas i'd be planning to issue, which i'm not. Because our daughter is already a US citizen (reported birth abroad) and she's here with me in the States. So I was planning to explain that part in the "Explain how we met..." part but I'm afraid they might overlook it or somehow not notice that her name now has his last name and that his daughter is actually my daughter as well. Does this make sense? I hope so. Basically my problem is: should i write her name in the space where it says "list all fiance's kids' names"? Or not, because he doesn't have any other kids? Thanks for any help!

I don't think you need to explain this part at the moment as I've seen some posters that have had to provide the birth certificate of their children at a later stage, when the non-US fiance deals with the consulate. (Perhaps Packet 3? Someone confirm that for me... does this still apply when you're not needing a K2?) I would definitely list her name under his children though.

To be honest though, I don't think having a child together will help your case anymore than other couples. Of course it might help at the interview stage where you have to give evidence of a bonafide relationship, but right now they're interested in whether you're able to marry and whether you've met in the past 2 years. It won't speed up your process, is what I'm saying, though it may help at the interview. :)

Edited by Gemmie

He should list any children he has. That's the question. Later on in the process there is a form asking which children will accompany him or follow at a later date to the US. That's where he says NONE. So even though the general instructions will say to bring birth certificates of the children to the interview, it is referring to children that will accompany the beneficiary. He could bring the birth certificate to show a relationship if his name is on it as the father, but in general it's not part of his interview requirement if the child is not going to immigrate with him.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Since everyone seems to be real tense about this whole thing, I've gotten real curious about the form itself (i-129f). My fiance and i have a very unique story. Most would say we have an advantage to getting approved and that's our daughter. The thing is, we never got married after having our daughter, and as for the form, there's a question about the fiance's kids (a listing), which i'm quite sure is for possible k-2 visas i'd be planning to issue, which i'm not. Because our daughter is already a US citizen (reported birth abroad) and she's here with me in the States. So I was planning to explain that part in the "Explain how we met..." part but I'm afraid they might overlook it or somehow not notice that her name now has his last name and that his daughter is actually my daughter as well. Does this make sense? I hope so. Basically my problem is: should i write her name in the space where it says "list all fiance's kids' names"? Or not, because he doesn't have any other kids? Thanks for any help!

Yes, you list any and all children on the I-129F. Throughout this process a rule that will serve you well is, "Read carefully, then interpret literally and answer accurately and honestly."

No need to overthink these questions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Im in the same situation as you with one minor, yet major difference...when i put the I-129f application in, my fiance was pregnant, so we did not list any children because we coudlnt (had not decided name, no idea of gender, etc...). However, i did explain that my fiance was pregnant when i was describing how we met etc... It does not effect us in any way except that i have to be able to show ability to support 3 people not just 2.

In your case, I would recommend doing what the people above have already stated. List your child and just iterate that he/she is already already a US citizen when you describe your relationship, and iterate that no children will be following.

AOS Timeline:

12/23/08 AOS Package Sent

12/26/08 Package Received at Chicago Lock-Box

01/05/09 Check Cashed

01/27/09 Biometrics

05/12/09 Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.