Henia

Ramadan 2008

356 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I have invited my sister to stay one more week with me. Here is how that came about....

She was realeased from the hospital last Sunday. (depression and suicide attempt) That afternoon she told me she would still do it, just not in my house. I shut down. I said to myself, 'i cannot fix her. i have ramadan to get thru, i have immig issues to deal with,,,me , me , me '

The start of the week was horrible for both of us. I didn't know what to say to her. By Wednesday, Thursday, she had seen me pray, heard LOTS of quran coming thru the computer and it was starting to affect her and I didnt know it yet. She said quran calms her.

By Thursday night, I showed her videos about Islam on youtube. WEll....she cant get enough. She is like a sponge, absorbing everything. Last night she took a quiz on Beliefnet.com and when she clicked on submit,,,it said she was 98% Islam. (alhamdulillah!) Without knowing a word of arabic, it was getting thru.

This morning when I left for work, I gave her a CD of quran to take back to her son's house. I drove to work in turmoil, how could I get her soooooooooo close to Islam, then put her out. I couldn't. I called my nephew, asked if he could wait til next Saturday to come for her.

I called her and asked, 'would you like to stay another week' ? ......stay tuned to see how this week goes.

Jackie - girl, you've been on my mind big time. I have been praying for you and your sister - I was like, "God, please don't let anything bad happen in Jackie's home. Please bring peace to a troubled mind. Make Jackie's home a sanctuary." I'm not saying that God heard my prayers...but he must have heard lots of them. I pray that your sister finds a calm in her storm and that you know peace in your home. May God bless you abundantly.

be certain he did :D

Yes he did !!

Tasha I found some really easy one-piece scarves on Ebay.

I wish I was going with you. I am alone.

Wish I was closer too :)

I wish we were all so much closer to go together.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I have invited my sister to stay one more week with me. Here is how that came about....

She was realeased from the hospital last Sunday. (depression and suicide attempt) That afternoon she told me she would still do it, just not in my house. I shut down. I said to myself, 'i cannot fix her. i have ramadan to get thru, i have immig issues to deal with,,,me , me , me '

The start of the week was horrible for both of us. I didn't know what to say to her. By Wednesday, Thursday, she had seen me pray, heard LOTS of quran coming thru the computer and it was starting to affect her and I didnt know it yet. She said quran calms her.

By Thursday night, I showed her videos about Islam on youtube. WEll....she cant get enough. She is like a sponge, absorbing everything. Last night she took a quiz on Beliefnet.com and when she clicked on submit,,,it said she was 98% Islam. (alhamdulillah!) Without knowing a word of arabic, it was getting thru.

This morning when I left for work, I gave her a CD of quran to take back to her son's house. I drove to work in turmoil, how could I get her soooooooooo close to Islam, then put her out. I couldn't. I called my nephew, asked if he could wait til next Saturday to come for her.

I called her and asked, 'would you like to stay another week' ? ......stay tuned to see how this week goes.

Jackie - girl, you've been on my mind big time. I have been praying for you and your sister - I was like, "God, please don't let anything bad happen in Jackie's home. Please bring peace to a troubled mind. Make Jackie's home a sanctuary." I'm not saying that God heard my prayers...but he must have heard lots of them. I pray that your sister finds a calm in her storm and that you know peace in your home. May God bless you abundantly.

be certain he did :D

Yes he did !!

Tasha I found some really easy one-piece scarves on Ebay.

I wish I was going with you. I am alone.

Wish I was closer too :)

I wish we were all so much closer to go together.

That would be awesome! :)

Nawal - hows Ash? where is she? hope shes ok .

Hey :) I just messaged her last night and today. She's taking a break from the internet and relaxing for the weekend. Also at times if she's visiting her parents their internet/phone reception stinks. But she's doing well! You're very sweet to ask I will tell her you asked about her!! (F)

ok ok got a question... what are you folks doing about the nasty breath thing from fasting???

There are many ways to deal with fasting and bad breath during Ramadan without crossing any line. The main thing you need to do is to continue to brush your teeth normally. Just be absolutely sure that you don't swallow anything. Even if you're not eating during the day, you should still brush your teeth when you wake up like you always would. You then want to brush them after eating at suhoor. Some Muslims recommend using a Siwak or 'tooth stick' to keep the mouth fresh and clean during Ramadan.

There are other things that you can do as well. During suhoor, if you drink 3 to 4 glasses of water, it should help with this. Drinking plenty of water will help keep you hydrated during the next day and keep your mouth from drying out. Mouthwash is acceptable for Ramadan as well, since you're not actually swallowing anything. However, you should stay away from alcohol based mouthwashes.

Basically, remember to brush your teeth normally during Ramadan, floss, use mouthwash or a Siwak, and remember to drink plenty of water.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i think i am missing the boat on the water thing for sure... i am trying to drink more at night causing nightly visits to the bathroom but oh well.

Has anyone notice their sense of smell has changed?? mine is better like WAaayyy better

i think i am missing the boat on the water thing for sure... i am trying to drink more at night causing nightly visits to the bathroom but oh well.

Has anyone notice their sense of smell has changed?? mine is better like WAaayyy better

I think its just because I'm hungry that I could smell a cookie 5 miles away. :devil:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I drink about 3 or 4 glasses of water between Iftar and Sahoor and that is just right for me (though I do go to the bathroom a lot for that, lol). The last thing I do before Fajr starts is brush my teeth really well. Between being hydrated well and brushing and flossing my teeth, it seems to keep the worst of the bad breath away. Also, when I do wadu for prayer it rinses my mouth. I may be spitting out the water, but it is rinsing some of the bad stuff out too.

My sense of taste and smell seem to be better during Ramadan, lol.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

isn't it cool how that works??? things get better? I also noticed how often i pick food up without thinking and put in my mouth... awwww perhaps after ramadan i'll lose some weight now that i realize how often i absent mindidly eat

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
isn't it cool how that works??? things get better? I also noticed how often i pick food up without thinking and put in my mouth... awwww perhaps after ramadan i'll lose some weight now that i realize how often i absent mindidly eat

The other day at work I saw a guy get some M&Ms out of the vending machine. I immediately thought about wanting to get some myself. Of course, then I remember I am fasting and had to put it out of my mind, lol.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

The other day at work I saw a guy get some M&Ms out of the vending machine. I immediately thought about wanting to get some myself. Of course, then I remember I am fasting and had to put it out of my mind, lol.

yeah well i was cleaning up after the kids' meal and almost put a half eaten sandwich in my mouth :whistle: then i remembered i am fasting :wacko:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.