• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I present to you:

rahma's ultimate ramadan linkage

which I put together for the recent Muslimah's Speak Up Ramadan Carnival.

I know this took a lot of time and effort. Thank you so much and may God reward you for your efforts!!!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Got this via email. It looks like you can't register til tomorrow. Sh. Faraz is a scholar of hanafi fiqh, and the 2 course texts are both hanafi fiqh books.

SeekersGuidance (www.SeekersGuidance.com) presents:

Fasting Explained

The Fiqh of Fasting, and Its Virtues

- Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

COURSE FORMAT:

Pre-recorded downloadable lessons.

COURSE LENGTH:

A short course of pre-recorded downloadable lessons. The three lessons (total: 90 min) will cover the following:

1. The Virtues of Fasting

2. Fasting Defined: The Valid Fast

3. What invalidates the fast and is to be avoided while fasting.

COURSE TEXTS:

1. Imam Shurunbulali’s Maraqi al-Sa`adaat

2. Ala’ al-Din Abidin’s Hadiyya al-`Ala’iyya

Text translations, course slides, self study drills, and other related readings will be provided upon registration.

SUBJECT MATTER:

This course aims to inculcate students with a deeper understanding of why we fast. It will include answers to the most common situations and contemporary issues that arise when fasting.

This course is FREE!

Take advantage of this essential course as part of your

Ramadan preparation, and hit the ground running.

The first 25 registrants will also get a free copy of Mawlid al Hujjaj

Registration opens on Aug 27th 2008, from 9am GMT

Course to commence on Aug 29th 2008, from 9am GMT

www.SeekersGuidance.com

WHO IS SHAYKH FARAZ RABBANI?

Shaykh Faraz Rabbani is a researcher and teacher of the Islamic sciences, specializing in Islamic Law. He is the Educational Director of SeekersGuidance (www.SeekersGuidance.com); a teacher with The Razi Institute (www.TheRaziInstitute.org); a partner and legal advisor with StraightWay Ethical Advisory; and a columnist for Islamica Magazine.

Shaykh Faraz obtained a Bachelor’s in Economics & Commerce from the University of Toronto in 1997. Subsequently, he studied and taught the Islamic sciences in Damascus, Amman, and Karachi for ten years, under leading Islamic scholars, including Shaykh Adib Kallas, Shaykh Hassan al-Hindi, Shaykh Muhammad Jumuah, Shaykh Akram Abd al-Wahhab, Shaykh Nuh Keller, and Mufti Mahmud Ashraf Usmani. Today he lives and teaches in Toronto, Canada, with his wife and three children.

WHAT IS SEEKERSGUIDANCE?

SeekersGuidance is an online Islamic educational portal that provides:

1. relevant, reliable, and inspiring Islamic educational courses and lesson-sets

2. reliable, clear answers to your questions on worship and life

3. uplifting and inspirational downloadable Islamic media–spiritual songs, children’s lesson-sets

… and much more.

WHAT IS MAWLID AL HUJJAJ?

Qur’anic recitation of 3:136-144 and the first two Chapters of the Burda, recited by Shaykh Diya’ Nasir.

IS THERE AN EMAIL LIST I CAN SUBSCRIBE TO FOR UPDATES?

Absolutely!! Subscription is just a click away at www.SeekersGuidance.com

For further information, please email us at: info@seekersguidance.com

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Is everyone almost ready? :unsure: I've done nothing!!! :blink::blink: Well almost nothing. We got the dates last weekend but he thinks we will need more. Personally I hate squishy dates and prefer the hard candy-like kind but whatEVA.

I still need to plan out a months worth of menus for dinner and buy enough food for at least the first week *and* figure out what to make the kids since they'll be eating separately 'cause they fast in the morning only. Starting to stress a bit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not that I'm really "prepared" or anything, but I'm starting to relax more about it. I've loaded the Qur'an onto my iPod now and I'm more mentally prepared for fasting. We'll see how it all goes starting Monday. I hope I've gotten into the groove of it by next Thursday or Friday. :star:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
Not that I'm really "prepared" or anything, but I'm starting to relax more about it. I've loaded the Qur'an onto my iPod now and I'm more mentally prepared for fasting. We'll see how it all goes starting Monday. I hope I've gotten into the groove of it by next Thursday or Friday. :star:

Does listening to it count as reading it? If so I'd *love* to load one that has arabic and then english...or maybe just english onto mine so I can listen on my way to and from work. Everytime we go to read it together my kids interrupt me and my husband insists that I say this particular phrase (which I forget and keep forgetting) and turn my eyes away immediately from the Quran. It's exhausting so it would be cool to either listen to it on the ipod or maybe I can read it on my lunch since I'm quittin the internet.

Timeline

Actually, I have it loaded as a read-able file. It has the transliteration and the translation. There are supposed to be audio files to go along w/ it, but I haven't figured out how to get them on the iPod yet. Rahma sent this to me and I downloaded it here:

One really cool thing for the ipod is this - theonlyword.com - download this and a little text file, and you can listen and read the Qur'an on your ipod

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
Actually, I have it loaded as a read-able file. It has the transliteration and the translation. There are supposed to be audio files to go along w/ it, but I haven't figured out how to get them on the iPod yet. Rahma sent this to me and I downloaded it here:

One really cool thing for the ipod is this - theonlyword.com - download this and a little text file, and you can listen and read the Qur'an on your ipod

Thanks! :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks! :thumbs:

Hey - if you figure out how to get the audio files on, let me know. :thumbs:

BJsTm6.png

Timeline

Hmm, I don't have theonlyword on my ipod right now, but I'll see about putting it back on and seeing how it works.

There are many rewards for interacting with the Qur'an. I once heard a shaykh say that the best way to read the Qur'an was to have the mushaf (text) in front of you, and to read it aloud. This way, you are interacting with the Qur'an with your hands (holding the text), your eyes (reading the text), your tongue (reciting the text) and your ears (listening to the text). On the day of judgment, our limbs testify for or against us. The more limbs you engage in your good deeds (in this case reading the Qur'an), the more witnesses you will have on the day of judgment.

You can even take it a step further, if you don't understand the arabic, to recite it in arabic, and then read the meaning, because there is extra thawab (reward) for understanding what you are reciting. Further contemplate on the meaning, and you're engaging your reasoning, bingo!

The Excellence of Reading and Reciting the Qur'an

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

This looks pretty spiffy :thumbs:

HeartWheel Journal

Download and print a journal for Ramadan. Each day has a little theme, something to think on, and things to look up in the Qur'an and hadith. Then you can plan for tomorrow, reflect on what you did that day, and take a look at your salat.

Apparently there's going to be a short program each night on Islam Channel to go along with the journal, but I'm not sure if it will be available for those in the US. I'll keep my eyes peeled and see if it will be on youtube or anything.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Timeline

3425.jpg

Like all years, the anxiety of when to start fasting is upon us again. I heard this afternoon it could be tommorrow. My husband said 99% Monday for Jordan.

I won't be around much here in the next month. To my sisters, may Allah accept your fasts and prayers.

Your sister in Islam-Jackie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.