rsn

No hotel receipts

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello, When I visit my girlfriend in Thailand, I stay with her - we do not get a hotel. So, I do not have any hotel receipts to show/present when/if I finally file for a K1 visa. Is this going to be a problem? How else can I prove that I have spent time with her in Thailand? Will they accept this explanation?

Thanks!

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Not at all. You will have passport stamps for sure. Plane tickets or other receipts work too. Pictures are a plus too.

No explanation will be needed on the hotel receipts part. I used to stay with Andre too.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
Hello, When I visit my girlfriend in Thailand, I stay with her - we do not get a hotel. So, I do not have any hotel receipts to show/present when/if I finally file for a K1 visa. Is this going to be a problem? How else can I prove that I have spent time with her in Thailand? Will they accept this explanation?

Thanks!

That's fine that you don't have hotel receipts. From this point forward, take lots of pictures (different scenery), keep telephone bills, e-mails, electronic plane tickets, boarding passes, etc. The burden of proof lies with you. The Embassy needs proof of a real relationship. Please update your time line. It helps others in the process.

Timeline

Thanks for all this info. I have already compiled some of this info, and will continue to do so. If I do decide to start working on the K1, I plan on doing so in about March of '09. At this point I will have spent about 10 weeks in Thailand with her, with about 1.5-2 hours of conversation on the phone every day (when I am not in Thailand). If I decide to apply for the K1, I will update my timeline once the process starts. One other thing, I have read mixed opinions about getting a lawyer to help out. While I do plan on using this site as an aid, I simply can't imagine doing this without some sort of a lawyer as well. Maybe it's just because I'm a worrier, but I don't want to seal my fate due to one error or omission on my part. Of course I will spend a great deal of time researching lawyers in hopes that I find the right one. I welcome comments/advice on this too.

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for all this info. I have already compiled some of this info, and will continue to do so. If I do decide to start working on the K1, I plan on doing so in about March of '09. At this point I will have spent about 10 weeks in Thailand with her, with about 1.5-2 hours of conversation on the phone every day (when I am not in Thailand). If I decide to apply for the K1, I will update my timeline once the process starts. One other thing, I have read mixed opinions about getting a lawyer to help out. While I do plan on using this site as an aid, I simply can't imagine doing this without some sort of a lawyer as well. Maybe it's just because I'm a worrier, but I don't want to seal my fate due to one error or omission on my part. Of course I will spend a great deal of time researching lawyers in hopes that I find the right one. I welcome comments/advice on this too.

Please do not waste your time & money on a lawyer. I did. VJ has tons of members willing to help. Use the attorney fees for your travel expenses instead.

Timeline

I agree. This site is filled with information that will be useful to you. And, you will find members who have gone through the exact same consulate as you will. They will offer invaluable support and information. A lawyer will only cost you money and usually more time then is needed. And, in the end, will do exactly what we all have done ourselves.

Unless yours is some extreme case involving something illegal you must fix along the way, you can do it all yourself and control your own process so much better.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Please do not waste your time & money on a lawyer. I did. VJ has tons of members willing to help. Use the attorney fees for your travel expenses instead.

I'm not sure I can believe that this is a good idea. The process looks anything but trivial, and I'm not necessarily inclined to attempt this whole ordeal by myself without any previous experience just to save a couple thousand dollars. I've dealt with the government in the past (both Thai and U.S.) and I know that having someone familiar with the law and the process who can also function as an adviser to both me and my potential fiance seems like a very good idea.

Timeline
I agree. This site is filled with information that will be useful to you. And, you will find members who have gone through the exact same consulate as you will. They will offer invaluable support and information. A lawyer will only cost you money and usually more time then is needed. And, in the end, will do exactly what we all have done ourselves.

Unless yours is some extreme case involving something illegal you must fix along the way, you can do it all yourself and control your own process so much better.

I don't believe my case is abnormal at all. However, I'm deathly afraid of making a mistake that will prevent a visa from being granted. When the government is involved, strange and unexpected things tend to happen, and I'd like to be prepared. Although, what you and others like you have said about lawyers does indeed make sense. I certainly don't want to have to pay for a lawyer, but I see it as more of an insurance policy in case things go horribly wrong. I can probably be persuaded, and when the time comes for me to file, maybe I will see things differently.

It's a matter of preference. I hired a lawyer myself for my case.

PM me for any AP or AR relating to the NBI

USEM NBI Requirements:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Timeline

It's not as difficult as it looks.

What I suggest is for you to ask this very question in the regional forum under the Philipines. They can tell you so much better then us exactly what you will need and how they have seen it go. Read all the threads you can stand on the process through that consulate or embassy. You will see the good, the bad, and the ugly. You should also get some hope.

I understand what you are saying. However, I've been on these boards for a long time now and I've seen a lot of people go through this process. I've heard a lot of horror stories and a majority of them have an immigration attorney filing their petition as the central point. Read and you will see.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable is exactly what you should do, though. I do suggest hanging on these boards even if you do use a lawyer. You will need to stay on the case to keep them on their toes. We can help with that as well. And we are all good at lending an ear or a shoulder if you need one.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
It's not as difficult as it looks.

What I suggest is for you to ask this very question in the regional forum under the Philipines. They can tell you so much better then us exactly what you will need and how they have seen it go. Read all the threads you can stand on the process through that consulate or embassy. You will see the good, the bad, and the ugly. You should also get some hope.

I understand what you are saying. However, I've been on these boards for a long time now and I've seen a lot of people go through this process. I've heard a lot of horror stories and a majority of them have an immigration attorney filing their petition as the central point. Read and you will see.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable is exactly what you should do, though. I do suggest hanging on these boards even if you do use a lawyer. You will need to stay on the case to keep them on their toes. We can help with that as well. And we are all good at lending an ear or a shoulder if you need one.

Thanks much for your help and advice. I most likely will do more and more reading on this site as the days pass. It's nice to know that there are people here will to help. I have heard a lot of horror stories already regarding use of lawyers for immigration. It goes without saying that I would feel worse about spending a lot of money on a lawyer who messes everything up. But then again, this leaves me someone to hold accountable, I think.

My girlfriend is from Thailand. Any idea how much experience the people who frequent this board have with obtaining a K1 for a Thai woman?

Timeline
Thanks much for your help and advice. I most likely will do more and more reading on this site as the days pass. It's nice to know that there are people here will to help. I have heard a lot of horror stories already regarding use of lawyers for immigration. It goes without saying that I would feel worse about spending a lot of money on a lawyer who messes everything up. But then again, this leaves me someone to hold accountable, I think.

My girlfriend is from Thailand. Any idea how much experience the people who frequent this board have with obtaining a K1 for a Thai woman?

There are many of us with experience. Try checking out the "SAWASDEE 2" thread in this forum. You might have to go a few pages to find it, depending on the last time someone posted.

Keep your itineraries, boarding passes, and make copies of the stamps in your passport, which I know they give you in Thailand. And be sure to have pictures taken of both of you.

The itineraries, boarding passes, and passport stamps will be your primary evidence.

Photos, phone records, and e-mails are all secondary evidence.

For the I-129F, the main thing to prove is that you have met your fiancee face-to-face within the last two years.

The other evidence will come in play when its time for her interview at the consolate.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

There are many of us with experience. Try checking out the "SAWASDEE 2" thread in this forum. You might have to go a few pages to find it, depending on the last time someone posted.

Keep your itineraries, boarding passes, and make copies of the stamps in your passport, which I know they give you in Thailand. And be sure to have pictures taken of both of you.

The itineraries, boarding passes, and passport stamps will be your primary evidence.

Photos, phone records, and e-mails are all secondary evidence.

For the I-129F, the main thing to prove is that you have met your fiancee face-to-face within the last two years.

The other evidence will come in play when its time for her interview at the consolate.

Is it ok if I misplaced the boarding passes from my last two trips? I still have the itineraries and stamps though.

Timeline

Boarding passes would be nice additions, but the itineraries and stamps prove the same thing. :thumbs:

The stamps prove without a doubt you were in the country, which is the important thing. :yes:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Keep in mind that there aren't too many mistakes you can make that will ruin your chances of getting your gf a visa. Don't lie, don't "enhance" the truth, make sure you triple check all the paperwork. All you are paying a lawyer for MOST of the time is filling out paperwork. Obviously there are cases where having a lawyer is important, but you can hire one at any point in the process. You have plenty of time to figure this out on your own. Once you really understand the process, it's pretty straight forward. But do what makes you comfortable. If you are going to go with a lawyer, spend this time researching them, interviewing them and checking references. They can mess your process up really badly if they don't know what they are doing and are left to their own devices.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.