sparkofcreation

N-400 Interview experience and question

5 posts in this topic

My husband's N-400 interview was today.

Before I get to the interview experience, we have a question: assuming nothing gets held up in a name check or anything, how long does it usually take from passing the interview to getting the letter indicating you've been approved?

We made plans (back when the projected processing time was 14-18 months) to travel to the UK for my father-in-law's milestone birthday that he has people coming to from all over the world ffor. We leave October 1. So either my husband needs to be sworn in by September 16 to get a US passport in time to travel on that, or he'll miss both getting a US passport and voting in this year's election (the deadline to register to vote in my state is while we're overseas).

The AO today basically had no idea what she was doing, but did stick a post-it on the front of the file that he needed an expedited oath ceremony. But I know you can't formally request one until you get the approval letter, so I was wondering when we could expect that to happen.

-------------

Interview experience:

Interview scheduled for 9:45, arrived 9:15, called at 9:35.

The (obviously new) AO sat my husband down, opened the file, and announced she was going to have to deny it because he'd applied more than two months before reaching the three year mark. He said he was sure he'd applied at the appropriate time but couldn't remember the details of why that was allowed. (Have I mentioned that I'm the one who does all the paperwork?) She went and asked the AO in the next cubicle who (of course) told her that yes, of course one can apply up to 90 days before meeting the three-year requirement.

She then looked through the file and told him it was the first one she'd seen that had everything in it already. (When he told me that, I thought "What is there to leave out? There are so few things you're required to send for this one?") He said he'd brought the paperwork his interview letter requested (tax transcripts and proof of marital union*) and she told him she didn't think she needed any of it.

She gave him a printed copy of the oath to read (silently, not aloud) and asked if he was still willing to swear it. She asked him all the questions about "Are you a member of the Communist Party?" and all that.

She asked him: Who was the primary writer of the Declaration of Independence? Who meets in the Capitol? Who becomes President if the President and Vice-President are both incapacitated? Name one important right that citizens have. And two more he can't remember. He got all 6 questions right.

She gave him the paper (N-652) saying he had passed the interview and was being recommended for approval. He asked if it was possible to either get sworn in today or at the big oath ceremony being held this Friday, and she said it was too late for either of these but he could request to have the oath ceremony expedited administratively. She put a post-it on the front of the file saying he needed the expedited oath.

Interview ended at 9:50.

*Proof of marital union: He took (originals and copies of) our mortgage statements and the leases to the apartments we had before we bought the house; joint bank statements; car insurance cards; and a few greeting cards (Christmas, anniversary, etc.) and boarding passes we had lying around. As I said, she didn't ask him for any of it or anything about me or our relationship. Or anything about why he wanted to be a citizen or anything.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Congratulations!!!

Timing varies depending on your local office. If you can find someone else who has gone through your office, you may get a better idea.

But it looks reasonably possible. Note our timeline in the signature below. Lucy's oath was a bit late due to the July 4th holiday (while other offices schedule special oath ceremonies on July 4th, the San Francisco office shuts down that week and schedules two oath ceremonies for the following week!)

After the interview, Lucy got the N-652 with the box checked that said "at this time, a decision cannot be made on your case", instead of the "congratulations, you're recommended for approval". We never did figure out why that box was checked, but we don't really care at this point. But whatever the reason, it might have delayed approval slightly -- I don't think it sped things up, anyway!

Also, note that a regular unexpedited passport is typically taking around ten days now. The passport office really staffed up for the backlog due to requirements for Mexico/Canada travel, and it seems they've worked through the backlog and they're not firing the staff they hired. An expedited passport may be much quicker than the ten days we experienced.

Maybe he'll have to wait until after the trip for the oath, but regardless of whether he gets the US Citizenship before or after the trip, try to take comfort in the fact that this is the very last time the USCIS gets to mess with your life.

Congrats again!

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
how long does it usually take from passing the interview to getting the letter indicating you've been approved?

Not aware of getting any letter that you have been approved, wife got that checklist form with the first line stating:

On July 17, 2008 you were interviewed bu USCIS officer____________. (her name is hand written in some foreign print, very difficult to make out.)

You passed the English and civics test was checked.

Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. Was checked, but also states that final approval has to be granted will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony.

So I assume we are waiting for that oath letter, but maybe a final approval letter as well?

Exactly what is a N-652? The piece of paper my wife received does that the USCIS letter head on it with the USCIS seal, but no form number.

That paper my wife received has unchecked boxes on for reasons you are not approved, but seems like the only Approval box is only a conditional approval.

Where did I hear that word, "conditional" before?

how long does it usually take from passing the interview to getting the letter indicating you've been approved?

Not aware of getting any letter that you have been approved, wife got that checklist form with the first line stating:

The N-652 is the paper he got at the interview saying he'd been recommended for approval and a final decision is pending (it said N-652 on the top).

The N-445 is the form number of the letter that actually says you've been approved. I don't know if it's the same letter that schedules the oath or not, but it's the form you need to have in-hand to request an expedited oath.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The N-652 is the paper he got at the interview saying he'd been recommended for approval and a final decision is pending (it said N-652 on the top).

The N-445 is the form number of the letter that actually says you've been approved. I don't know if it's the same letter that schedules the oath or not, but it's the form you need to have in-hand to request an expedited oath.

Here is the N-445

www.immigrantsweekly.com/forms/N445.pdf

Searching on the net is much faster than waiting for the mailman to see what one looks like. Ha, wonder if I could fill it in and show up someplace.

Here is the N-652

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...ow%3D1%26sa%3DN

Word for word for what St. Paul uses but the top of the St. Paul form shows their letterhead instead of that N-652 stuff.

Thank you for the reply.

Edited by NickD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.