K1-Matt

Advice neeed!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone! Without writing too much here's a quick background on my situation....

In mid 2007 my girlfriend and I decided to start this K1 process, and to do it ourselves with the help of this site! Things got delayed however as i lived in San Diego and my apartment burned in the October fires. With all that went on with that, i decided to get a lawyer to guide us through as i didn't have the time. We are at the point now where the I-129f has been approved and my fiance has just received her packet from the NVC.

Let me rewind a bit here .... A few months after the fire I made the decision to move to Arizona. After the fire, a friend rented me their condo in downtown SD for much less than market value. My job, while decent money for a single guy was not going to give a family of 3 the level of living i could accept. I could not stay in this extremely small condo and i didn't want to go back to paying $1300+ for a 1BR apartment. Those reasons along with my current job (real estate related) not going to be offering any pay increase anytime soon made me decide it was best to move. I had an opportunity to move to a rental home in the Phoenix area for an affordable rent and thought this would be a better area to raise a family, so i made the move.

MY PROBLEM ..... I've been here 3 months now and am yet to find work. My background has been in real estate/graphic design for the last 14 years and finding something in that field, in this market is next to impossible. Searching other areas has not been much easier. I'm at the point where i almost have to take ANY job and i believe the minimum income i can have is 26k a year for the I-134. I've talked with my lawyer and he says the best thing i can do is "get a job". DUH, yeah. Things are coming down to the wire here, and my fiance and i know we can delay things a bit my taking our time getting our papers together to submit to her Embassy, but to say i'm feeling worried is an understatement.

My question to you all (finally), is if i don't find a job that pays over 26k a year are we in big trouble? I see on the form i am able to show how much is in my bank account and also stocks etc. of which i have 45k-ish. I also see an option to show last years tax return IF you're self employed. I was NOT self employed last year but AM considering starting my own thing up now. If i were to mark "self employed" and show my tax return from last year is that shady? Also is her embassy going to have a problem with us delaying turning in papers?

Thanks all ... hope that wasn't too much to read!

Matt

Can you get someone to sponsor for you?

PM me for any AP or AR relating to the NBI

USEM NBI Requirements:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have not submitted your I-129F yet then you have time to sort out these questions, as the Affidavit of Support is not required to be sent initially and is presented to the consulate at the visa interview.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Matt,

Since her case is already in Colombia she will get an interview date soon. Bottom line is, you will need a co-sponsor if you do not make enough money right now. The embassy is mainly concerned about your current salary and if you are unemployed, then you're going to have to get a sponsor ASAP. Remember that both, you and your co-sponsor will need to submit a notarized I-134 is supporting financial documents.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Diana, she will not get an interview date until sometime after she submits the papers from her packet though correct?

Yes, a month or so after she submits the documents for package #3 (if I remember correctly, DS-230, etc.), she will get her interview date. However, before she submit her documents for the interview, you should have your I-134 already sent to her as I did with my finacee.

As Dianita said, you must have a co-sponsor ASAP so that she can get her visa. Anyhow, I wish you the best and good luck.

God bless!

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

Interview Date :............2008-05-15, VISA APPROVED

Visa Received :.............2008-05-20

U.S.A.

POE Date :..................2008-08-30 Saturday, Miami FL (awful - more than 5 hours)

Wedding Date : .............2008-09-11 Thursday

AOS:

Interview Appt:.............2009-02-05

GC approved:................2009-02-05

GC arrived:.................2009-02-17 (END)

GC expires:.................2011-02-05**

Removing of conditions (ROC):

ROC will be filed with:.....CSC

ROC filing date:............2010-11-13 (ACTUAL SENDING DATE, SATURDAY)

ROC filing received by CSC..2010-11-15 (CONFIRMED VIA EMAIL)

ROC check cashed by CSC.....2010-11-17

ROC NOA date received:......2010-11-20

ROC NOA date printed:.......2010-11-15

ROC RFE dates(if any):......(none so far)

ROC Bio Appt Date(if any):..2010-12-22

ROC Interview Date(if any):.None

ROC GC approved Date:.......2011-02-16

ROC GC received Date:.......2011-02-22 (END)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

the US consulate in Colombia requires you to submit your tax returns with the I134 (my fiancee was required to provide last 3 years tax returns); so if you made enough money in the past 3 years and have assets (to overcome any shortcomings of your current income situation) - you are OK and do not need a co-sponsor. To be sure, though, a co-sponsor is a pretty safe bet. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline

The bottom line is if you do not make enough money to be 125% above the poverty line, and you do not have sufficient assets, then you WILL need a co-sponsor. If you cannot get a co-sponsor, and your income and assets are insufficient, then you cannot get the visa.

Would finding a co-sponsor be a problem? If not, I suggest you get one.

Good luck Matt

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

To address the comment your lawyer made about it "not being a good idea for a fiancée petition"...that's just wrong. There are LOTS of people on this board (and probably many others who are not) that used a co-sponsor. Best of luck figuring it all out.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline
To address the comment your lawyer made about it "not being a good idea for a fiancée petition"...that's just wrong. There are LOTS of people on this board (and probably many others who are not) that used a co-sponsor. Best of luck figuring it all out.

Agreed. I don't even know what that comment means by it not being a good idea to use a co-sponsor.

I used a co-sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.