crazyinEgypt

How much times does your MENA man spend on the phone or computer???

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thought about making this into a poll, but since I'm only wanting the input from MENA members I chose not to.

I've been discussing this with many of my friends married to MENA men and it appears I'm not alone. So here's my stats. My husband is on the phone between 3-5 hours a day. No, there is no eggareration here. He's also on the computer at least 2 hours in which he's usually on the phone talking too! He knows how irritated I get by this, but it doesn't seem to bother him until I am on the phone or computer! Before anyone yells "Red flag" I know for a fact that he's talking to relatives and other arab friends of his. He says it's an arab thing to do. (talk a lot) Input?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband does not and did not spend much time online ... I literally had to beg him to come on at times (after we got married) ... but that is just him! Not sure if your SO being online so much is a red flag ... depends on the person I guess!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

when my husband first came he was on the computer pretty much all waking hrs... talking to his family and txt/e-mail friends. As he has adjusted and is going to interviews and working I think he is down to about 2hrs sometimes more sometimes less a day...... I just think if I were living in egypt I would do the same thing

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

How long have these guys been in the US?

And do they have jobs?

If not long and no, I can see it. It's a way to pass time.

If long time and yes, I would be a little ticked as well. My husband and I work so much, we cherish our downtime together, even if it is just to veg in front of the tv.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Salaam Crazy,

My hubbie just got here so our input might be slanted...

He doesn't spend much time on the computer at all, but he's not much of a techie... and he speaks a few times a week with family & friends...

i don't think it's a red flag if you know who he's talking to, and if he shares all the faraway news with you... i think some men are genuinely social and enjoy catching up on news and gossip just as much as some women do...

but i can see how it would be annoying if he's blabbing all the time on the computer/phone!!

:protest:

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

No it is not a red flag...lol

My husband has been here for over a year and a half now. At the start he spent a lot of time talking online and on the phone to his family. Now he has a job, and has adjusted. Now there are days that he spends with me, and days he spends with his family online or on the phone. I have adjusted and so has he, so it really is not an issue. I do find however that during Ramadan and Eid its a little more than other times. He really gets home sick during those times. I can't say I can blame him. I know I would be longing for home during specific holidays as well.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

I get the feeling that my husband talks to his family a bit when at work on his cell phone (definantly allowed) and will get on the computer in the mornings for 30 min or so before work - especially since I leave 1 hr before him for work :wacko:

He doesn't hide his phone time from me, I just never cared much to ask or check up on it since he doesn't ignore me for it. Basically evenings are for us only and mornings he spends time with me before I go to work and heads for the computer as I head for the door. My husband isn't too good with computers, he only knows how to check email and use skype - I even have to show him how to google things :blush:

Long story short - I'm pretty sure he talks to Egypt every day but not alot and not much around me.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

my husband was on the most when there was nothing else to do. waiting for his ead and aos :(

I didn't feel neglected just felt bad he was so homesick

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband isn't on the phone very often, mostly with a friends who also live in the U.S. He's on the computer quite a bit, chatting with his family, but probably spends no more time online than I do when I'm at home. When he wasn't working, he used it a lot more. It helped keep him sane.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I certainly can understand my husband wanting to talk to his family in Egypt, and even his friends, but when I have to change our calling plan on a monthly basis because he talks so much it tends to get on my nerves. We seriously need mobile to mobile! Maybe it's just me being a tired out mom. The twins are about to get the best of me!

{{{{{{{{water}}}}}}}} hi girl, i've been wondering about you! Hope all is ok

My husband spends almost every waking moment online/on the phone. It used to bother me in the first year but now that I have my own laptop its not such a big deal. I know who he talks to and he never hides it from me. Online...well he works online so that's not too much of an issue either. He now comments to me that I spend too much time online rather than with him. (thats mainly coz if i'm not online then I'm bored coz he is still on the computer lol) its all good though, our house is quiet, cool, calm, and collective. Just the way I like it.

amal

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

My husband only goes on the computer to play hearts or solitaire or listen to music via yahoo radio. Other than that maybe once every couple of weeks he'll talk to some friends online but that's extremely rare. He talks on the phone for maybe 3 minutes each morning saying hi to his sisters and maybe one hour a week talking to a friend in Canada.

If he is on the computer and I want to do something together he gets off of it immediately since it's just solitaire you know?

Actually I asked why he doesn't talk to his friends at all and he told me he's embarassed because he thinks they'd expect him to "make it" already here. Maybe now that he's working that will change.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I certainly can understand my husband wanting to talk to his family in Egypt, and even his friends, but when I have to change our calling plan on a monthly basis because he talks so much it tends to get on my nerves. We seriously need mobile to mobile! Maybe it's just me being a tired out mom. The twins are about to get the best of me!

Is the issue you have with it just the phone plan? Or is it the time spent? Or both?

If its just the phone plan my husbands family took some weird thing over to them, and now all he has to do is call a local number for him to talk. Granted it takes minutes on the cell, but if he uses the land line it is just like calling any place in our town.

If it is both then yes, you could probably have a nice conversation with him asking to spend more of the free time with you, and the times you are busy he can talk to family.

I don't know what else might help, just a compromise.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

My husband spends some time on the pc. I wouldn't say he over does it though. He loves to take pictuers and videos so when he is online it is normally editing with photoshop or playing zuma. He checks his email every few days and chats with a few friends and cousins in Egypt. He may make one phone call to home every week for a few minutes. If I want his attention or need the pc I ask and he always removes himself from it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.