iceyspots

HELP! Medical Insurance

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi.

So I am in the process of doing a K-1 visa for my Algerian fiancé. I was just admitted into EMU's school of Nursing starting next year. I made $8,200 in 2005, well below the poverty line, but I am a dependent in my household. When I start nursing school, I'll have to get medical insurance. I cannot get medical insurance through my mother or father's job because I am aged out because I'm over 21 (their policies used to say age 25, but they changed that to cut costs). Buying medical insurance upfront would cost around $350 a month through my University. Also, while I'm in Nursing school, I won't be working at all. I imagine it will be quite a bit of time before Yacine comes and gets a job good enough to get health insurance, but my University will not allow me to take classes until I have health insurance AND liability coverage. So my question is, if I go on support e.g. medicaid, would that effect the outcome of our AOS?

Thanks in advance

Timeline

nevermind, I can't even go on public assistance for health care unless I spit out some kids..

"Effective October 1, 2005 no new customers may be enrolled in the Adult Medical Program due to a temporary freeze based on funding limits. "

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Don't cry! Something will work out.

I am trying to dredge the recesses of my brain for when I was in school and they had student insurance. The school I went to had a number of certifications and programs for various aspects of health and medical field.

Does it really cost that much upfront now per month now. I had a plan that was a group insurance type thing for students that was maybe a bit more than $500 a semester, but that was 5 years ago. Do you think that maybe something like Blue Cross/Blue Shield might have some student insurance? Or, this is a stretch, maybe a local hospital has some sort of arrangement to help nursing students if you work for them later or maybe student work with them.

I am sorry if you have already covered those bases, I am just throwing out a couple of ideas for you.

Edited by squidge

Judge Judy rules!

Timeline

Okay.. i'm going to call tomorrow and check and see what I can get.

Last time I checked, our University Health Services Center offered health insurance from September through April, at the cost of $350 per month...

I'm also going to check to see if we can get a discount rate through State Farm, since we already have life, auto and homeowners insurance through them.

I'm also going to check tomorrow to see if my student loans are increased based on the fact that I'm admitted into the program, and I'm being FORCED to have medical insurance... plus the costs of tuition, and an estimated $1,200 just for books, supplies, TB tests and medical exam.

I really hope something works out... I have to have all of this straightened out by August 1st... and I'm leaving for Algeria monday and not coming back until July 18th...

!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think you were reading it wrong. It is $953 for the whole year for student health insurance. I am an EMU graduate and had their insurance.

Here is the link

http://www.emich.edu/uhs/healthserv.html#S...lth%20Insurance

Also, do you have a co sponser? You do not have enough income to petition a fiance.

Mike and Luvy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with the opion of LMR about BCBS. You should be able to go through them. Also, go to several independent insurance agents that you can find in your local yellow pages. Tell them you're in school, need the insurance, and in the not too distant future you'll be getting married and need a family policy. What can they offer and if they can't what advice can they give.

Do a search on the web; see what you find.

Another source is get a membership in a professional society; most have medical insurance. If you get a student membership in the society, it's at a reduced rate. First, though, check with their insurance carrier to see if they allow student members to get medical insurance.

Larry and Maria

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I echo LMR. Give BlueCross BlueShield a try. I have a plan paying exactly around $100 to $160 as estimated by LMR - a good coverage plan too!

STL_HCMC

You are young you can get insurance through blue cross blue shield for around 100 to 160 dollars a month if you dont have any outstanding health conditions.

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.