jynxNdragnfly

Montreal CR-1 Interview Review

7 posts in this topic

So the whole thing was pretty much well what I've been reading on here for the last 13 months. So here's my take on it.

Lined up outside the door at 7am. I was second in line. Once the chains were taken off the door (yes chains) and they were unlocked, the security guard checked #1's letter and passport, let her in, checked my letter and passport, let me in. I will repeat as many have on here before, follow the security guards instructions. #1 almost got the smackdown for repeatedly pulling on the door before it was unlocked and almost walking through the metal dector before being told to do so.

After security it's down some stairs into a 'holding room'. I have to say it's akin to a waiting room to visit someone at jail. I was told at security people with letters go first (woohoo! I had A) and jumped up when the security guard came down the elevator to get us. Rode up to the 19th floor and was seated outside window #9. Was called up and handed over interview letter and the letter A and was told to go back and sit in the big waiting room. Once I got there it was 8:10am. I'm ####### on time for this whole thing as my 'watch' is my cell phone, which I of course didn't bring. Though I will say purses did get allowed in with car keys (no remote entry systems though) and wallets (wish I would have known that). So I was then called back to window #9 to go through my paper work to make sure everything was spelled correctly and handed over my medical, passport and express post mailer. Back to the waiting room. Back to window #9 for finger prints (had to do it twice as sweaty hands aren't a good thing). Back to the waiting room.

I was the only 'spousal visa' there. The other people were all family sponsered immigrants. Their interviews were for 8am, mine was for 8:30am and I was continually called before them for everything. By 8:30am the other side of the room was filled with people there for business, student and visitor visas as well as americans for citizen services.

At around 8:40ish I was called into room #8. A lovely older gentleman was behind the glass. Others here have had him. He made the interview quite enjoyable and entertaining though he did strike me as having about 12 cups of coffee before calling me into the room LOL The interview was more of a conversation with 'planted questions'. He asked about my husband's work and for me to elaborate more on what he does (rather than the answer on the forms). A bit of detail about my work and how I'm staying with my job here in canada. Asked about who visits more. Asked if my husband had children from his previous marriage. Commented on my nexus card. Most of it was kind of a blur LOL He said he saw no reason not to give me a visa then he explained about receiving the express post package and not to open the envelope marked DO NOT OPEN. He said he'd tried to get it out in the mail that day and off I went. I was back at the hotel (tour de centre ville) just before 9am.

I was never asked for anything other than the medical, my interview letter and my passport. I brought updated support documents and taxes as I thought they might want them since we submitted 2006's at the time but they didn't. And I brought a copy of everything I had. Oh well LOL I was also given back my originals documents (long form birth certificate and marriage certificate)

I'm off to stalk.... er wait for the mailman :whistle:

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

July-07-07 - Married in Las Vegas

August-07-08 - CR-1 Visa activated

July-17-10 - Approval notice in mail, Conditions removed

Congrats! Glad it went well :)

06/12/04 ~ Met Laurent

02/23/07 ~ He proposed :)

05/05/07 ~ Married in Quebec

I-130

06/22/07 ~ I-130 sent to VSC

06/29/07 ~ NOA 1

10/15/07 ~ NOA 2 (115 days)

NVC

10/22/07 ~ NVC received case/case number assigned

02/19/08 ~ Case complete (120 days)

02/26/08 ~ Case forwarded to Montreal

Montreal

04/24/08 ~ INTERVIEW - APPROVED :)(65 days) (300 days from NOA1 to interview)

04/29/08 ~ Received Visa

USA

05/23/08 ~ Larry moved to the US :)

06/06/08 ~ Received SSN

06/26/08 ~ Received 2 year Greencard

ROC

02/02/10 ~ I-751 sent to VSC

02/05/10 ~ NOA

03/04/10 ~ Bio. Appt.

04/29/10 ~ Card production ordered

05/06/10 ~ Received 10 year Greencard

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!! better to bring more documents/evidence, than not enough! congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.