~Laura and Nick~

SSN in New Jersey

32 posts in this topic

I can't for the life of me find any websites on google showing me where I apply for a SSN near where I live. I live in Bergen County in New Jersey.

I want to know the requirements, I think I know most of them but one I'm unsure of is on one website. It talks about if you are not work authorized but you need a SSN in order to get some sort of federal or whatever benefits that you need to show a document stating that. I can't get onto Nick's medical benefits at work until I have a SSN, so do I need a stupid document from them stating that or will they give me a SSN without it?

ARG! Why can't this be easier, I've typed in every possible way of saying "Where do I apply for a SSN in New Jersey" and I get squat.

Help! lol

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I'm really stupid and found the guidelines ON HERE on applying for a SSN, duh!!!

Quick other question, on the application, I check that I am work authorized? :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No EAD or GC yet Laura, so you aren't work authorized until then.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

If you look on the guide on how to obtain a SSN here

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

which is the document everybody says to print and bring along with you at the office, Section C K-1 is work authorized, and it's the only way you will get your SSN before the 90 days of your K-1 expires.

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

K-1 Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen

That's what a I remembered from the process. Technically, without that stamp, you are NOT work authorized, but for SSN and EI purposes you ARE.

If she writes that she is not work authorized they will deny her the SSN, from my understanding. That's how it works as a K-1 holder.

ETA: And I don't want to sound like I am saying the opposite of everybody else :( But I remembered bringing that document along with me, and actually the lady at the office had the same attachement printed right next to her and looked at it before she proceeded with my application. And I know some offices gave trouble to some other people because they keep telling them they can't have SSN because they are not work authorized and they need the EAD...

And I applied after I got married in my married name and it was ok

Edited by Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

GM Mrs. Laura :D

When I went to apply for my SSN, I filled everything out - except that part - took my passport with the K-1/I-94 with me to the office. The lady took my passport and the application input the information into the computer. I received my SSN yesterday in the mail. It says right on it that it's only valid for work with DHS authorization.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting yours.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Here's a handy SS office locator. Just put in your zip code.

No, you're not work authorized.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp

A K-1 is work authorized. Check the box Alien Authorized to Work

YMMV

Timeline

Okay maybe I am confused since I didn't take this route myself.

Isn't a K-1 Visa Holder allowed to apply for an SSN for purposes such as benefits, but work is pending upon DHS authorization?

I see a lot of different answers here,.

Just a note Laura, it took me almost 2 months to get my SSN mailed to me after I had applied. NJ seems to be very back logged in comparison to other states. I was work authorized though so I don't know if it won't be the same in your case.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Isn't a K-1 Visa Holder allowed to apply for an SSN for purposes such as benefits, but work is pending upon DHS authorization?

Its kinda like, no one will hire you because you don't have the DHS authorization, but on paper, for SSN purpose for example, you are part of the category that can work, compared to other Visa where you can't work at all ? Well that's the way I understand it :P

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Yes, there are a a lot of different answers :lol: I just went down and said, I want an SSN card...and produced my information. I checked that I wasn't authorized. I don't even know if they said anything to me about that or if they changed the check mark. Maybe it depends on whether you get a hassle from them, or someone telling you, you can't have one. If you're authorized, and you show the documentation that you are...why does your SSN card say "not authorized to work without DHS approval", or something like that.

It's soooooooooo crazy. Just take the documentation down with your passport Laura, and see what they say. You have lots of time, matter of fact, you might not even be in the system yet.

carlahmsb4.gif

Thank you!

I'll be going to apply today or tomorrow :)

Yes, there are a a lot of different answers :lol: I just went down and said, I want an SSN card...and produced my information. I checked that I wasn't authorized. I don't even know if they said anything to me about that or if they changed the check mark. Maybe it depends on whether you get a hassle from them, or someone telling you, you can't have one. If you're authorized, and you show the documentation that you are...why does your SSN card say "not authorized to work without DHS approval", or something like that.

It's soooooooooo crazy. Just take the documentation down with your passport Laura, and see what they say. You have lots of time, matter of fact, you might not even be in the system yet.

Really?

It's been over 2 weeks.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Thank you!

I'll be going to apply today or tomorrow :)

Really?

It's been over 2 weeks.

10 days to 2 weeks is probably a good time. I think I went 2 weeks to the day and I wasn't in the system. I must have been the day after or something because I got it in the mail 7 days after that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I went to file my SSN applicaton in NJ today. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I wasn't in the system, even though I entered the U.S. almost 3 weeks ago. I know I don't want them to file manually as that'll take forever, but when I told her I'd just come back in a couple of days, she wasn't having any of that. She said that made no sense and blah, blah, blah. I don't know what the heck she did. So, I'm not sure if I'll get my SSN in a week like everyone else or if I'm outside the process now. She told me it could take a week, two weeks, two months. There's no telling. Wah. I keep tellling myself I can't worry about it, but I probably will.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, we went today to apply for my husband's SSN and get a duplicate card for me because I don't know what happened to mine. Since there were 3 different answers here as to what to fill in on the line that asks if you are an alien authorised to work, not authorised to work, or "other," we asked about it before filling it in, and they told us just to leave it blank.

In case any of you are in the St Louis Metro East area, we went to the one in Alton--it was easy as pie and they were really nice and actually even knew what a K1 visa is. We called the one in Belleville because for some reason I read "Belle Street" in the Alton address as Belleville, and they told him in no uncertain terms that he would have to wait until completing AOS. If you have a choice, I would go to the Alton one (there is also one in East St Louis).

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline

Just to clarify - if you are a K-1, then you write 'Yes" under alien authorized to work on the SSN form. The classification IS work authorized, however, work is only permitted if you ALSO have physical proof from USCIS such as the stamp or the EAD. It means you are allowed to apply for proof of work eligibility. If you write "No", your SSN will be denied as it is available for work authorized individuals only. Make sure you get it as soon as you can after you arrive - the longer you wait the more hassles you encounter and time runs out 2 weeks before your I-94 date.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.