meauxna

Naturalization Interview Scheduled!

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

congrats!

Is your interview scheduled or your oath. My oath was on a separate date, months away from the interview. I did not get the passport the same day I took the oath but I WISH, I traveled the day after the oath with a foreign passport - oh imagine what trouble I was in when I returned to US. :huh:

Octa and Nicu

I-129F Interview..........04-25-2005

US Entry......................05-19-2005

Marriage......................07-16-2005

Filed AOS/EAD..............08-16-2005

Received EAD................11-28-2005

AOS Interview...............05-15-2006

Received Green Card.....05-25-2006

The way to find out if you love someone or not, is by talking to them.

The more you talk to them the more you either hate them or love them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
congrats!

Is your interview scheduled or your oath. My oath was on a separate date, months away from the interview. I did not get the passport the same day I took the oath but I WISH, I traveled the day after the oath with a foreign passport - oh imagine what trouble I was in when I returned to US. :huh:

Thanks for your post!

This appointment is for the interview. However, in our office, they do offer same-day oath ceremonies. Because of our appointment time, it's still not clear to me if he will make the same-day, or if he can get a next-day. I will find out ahead of time by visiting the office, because we will have out of town guests attending the oath ceremony.

But! I'm interested to hear your travel story--you traveled after the oath, but without a US passport? I'm guessing that you went to Europe? What *did* happen when you returned??? I will be very interested in your reply.

In our case, we are traveling to Mexico and USCs may return to the US from Mexico without a passport. Other parts of the world specifically require a US passport.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/v...mentary_req.xml

Documentary Requirements for Entry To The United States

Travel from within the Western Hemisphere (North, Central or South America)

U.S. citizens:

Are exempt from passport requirements. However, it is highly recommended that a U.S. Citizen be prepared to present documentation such as valid or expired U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or Naturalization certificate to avoid delays.

So, in the worst case scenario, he may travel on photo ID and his natz certificate. Considering the expense and wait for getting a naturalization certificate replaced (a year or more), you can imagine that I'm reluctant to go backpacking around Mexico (heck, anywhere) with it. So, we'll see about getting an emergency appointment at the passport office in Seattle and taking a day trip up there to get his US passport before the trip (one week later!).

Well, I'm very interested in hearing back from you on your story!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats!

Thanks for your post!

This appointment is for the interview. However, in our office, they do offer same-day oath ceremonies. Because of our appointment time, it's still not clear to me if he will make the same-day, or if he can get a next-day. I will find out ahead of time by visiting the office, because we will have out of town guests attending the oath ceremony.

But! I'm interested to hear your travel story--you traveled after the oath, but without a US passport? I'm guessing that you went to Europe? What *did* happen when you returned??? I will be very interested in your reply.

In our case, we are traveling to Mexico and USCs may return to the US from Mexico without a passport. Other parts of the world specifically require a US passport.

U.S. citizens:

Are exempt from passport requirements. However, it is highly recommended that a U.S. Citizen be prepared to present documentation such as valid or expired U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or Naturalization certificate to avoid delays.

So, in the worst case scenario, he may travel on photo ID and his natz certificate. Considering the expense and wait for getting a naturalization certificate replaced (a year or more), you can imagine that I'm reluctant to go backpacking around Mexico (heck, anywhere) with it. So, we'll see about getting an emergency appointment at the passport office in Seattle and taking a day trip up there to get his US passport before the trip (one week later!).

Congrats to you and the DAH and soon to be DUSCH! (doesn't have quite the same ring does it?)

Agree on not taking your Natz Certificate backpacking around Mexico... I would make the appointment in Seattle and get the passport.

I would make the appointment a few days before your natz interview... but hell, you've probably already thought of that...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

I'm sure he'll rock it, Meauxna! Woo! :)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline
Congrats to you and the DAH and soon to be DUSCH! (doesn't have quite the same ring does it?)

Agree on not taking your Natz Certificate backpacking around Mexico... I would make the appointment in Seattle and get the passport.

I would make the appointment a few days before your natz interview... but hell, you've probably already thought of that...

heheh.. I reckon he can still be the DAH, only now it will be for Darling American Husband! :)

Baastaad security guard wouldn't let me into the building at USCIS yesterday--I was going to pop in to ask about the oath times. I wasn't up to fighting with him and the info room was closed for the day anyway, so I'll drop by next week sometime. I'll just have to roll the dice with Seattle.. looking for anyone with a recent personal experience of going up there for an in-person, but it's not the kind of story you find on line. Word is that they'll give you an appt if your trip is w/in 2 weeks--I know I'll be able to tell 'em a good story about a new citizen and all that, so I'm sure we'll get it worked out.

Worst comes to very worst, I suppose we could put off the oath til after we come back. Photos will look better with a tan anyway. :lol:

mmmm diving.. getting excited already!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Timeline

heheh.. I reckon he can still be the DAH, only now it will be for Darling American Husband! :)

Baastaad security guard wouldn't let me into the building at USCIS yesterday--I was going to pop in to ask about the oath times. I wasn't up to fighting with him and the info room was closed for the day anyway, so I'll drop by next week sometime. I'll just have to roll the dice with Seattle.. looking for anyone with a recent personal experience of going up there for an in-person, but it's not the kind of story you find on line. Word is that they'll give you an appt if your trip is w/in 2 weeks--I know I'll be able to tell 'em a good story about a new citizen and all that, so I'm sure we'll get it worked out.

Worst comes to very worst, I suppose we could put off the oath til after we come back. Photos will look better with a tan anyway. :lol:

Wow! Mo, I have my hands full for a week, and all heck breaks loose on here while I'm gone. Congrats on the Naturalisation interview.... I hear the test has changed a bit lately. ;) Not to worry, I snitched a copy of the correct answers. Tell the DAH to memorise them! :lol:

George Washington had wooden teeth and syphillis

Tallest US President was Abe Lincoln at 6'4".

The shortest was James Madison at 5' 4".

Vermont is the only US state capital without a McDonalds restaurant

Benjamin Franklin's address was 141 Market Street, Philadelphia

Presidents on Mount Rushmore are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt

The oldest city in the US is St. Augustine in Florida

All US Presidents have worn glasses.

The US national anthem actually has three verses.

The average American consumes 1.2 pounds of spider eggs a year and eat 2.5 pounds of insect parts a year

Abe Lincoln bought 50 cents worth of cocaine in 1860

Los Angeles, California, was originally named "El Pueblo la Nuestra Senora de Reina de los Angeles de la Porciuncula"

Maine is the toothpick capital of the world

The parking meter was invented in North Dakota

There are seven points on the Statue of Liberty's crown

Ohio is listed as the 17th state in the U.S., but technically it is Number 47. Until August 7, 1953, Congress forgot to vote on a resolution to admit Ohio to the Union

America once issued a 5-cent bill

Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th. The last signature wasn't added until 5 years later

:lol::lol:

Diving? Now you're moving into my territory! I have a lovely purple one-piece with flippers I can lend you :D though

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

My dad has done it... he had to travel to Chicago to get it (However, they're opening a passport office in Detroit by 2007 because of the new passport requirements for Canada). Just called and made an appointment. Had to have proof that he had to travel within 2 weeks (plane tickets). The appointment was in the morning and he picked up the passport later in the afternoon. He needed a new passport due to Chinese visa requirements. Wouldn't place a visa in his passport for some reason even through it was valid. Something to do with Taiwan I think... After he got his passport, he walked it over to the Chinese consulate to get the visa.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Congratulations Meauxna and DAH!

(I'm jealous... hiking and diving in Mexico. Y'all have fun!)

:luv:

Maya

Edited to add: PS. Maybe I should know this already, but I have to ask: what does the "A" in DAH stand for now? Alien? A country name? I know, I know, curiosity killed the cat, but I'm nosey too!

Edited by maya62

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Timeline
Congratulations Meauxna and DAH!

(I'm jealous... hiking and diving in Mexico. Y'all have fun!)

:luv:

Maya

Edited to add: PS. Maybe I should know this already, but I have to ask: what does the "A" in DAH stand for now? Alien? A country name? I know, I know, curiosity killed the cat, but I'm nosey too!

The A in DAH is indeed Alien... soon to be American...

Edited by zyggy

congrats and am happy for you

Al

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Timeline

Thanks all! :)

DM, PMSL about your list--I will fwd them to the DAH for study ASAP. He'll prolly have a cow and think they're for real (he's a bit sarcasm impared.. not a typical Brit!).

I found the info regarding Seattle passport office and it looks to be fairly straightforward, so we'll be road tripping up the I-5 for an adventure soon.

And oh yes, maya, I owe you one. ;) The 'A' is indeed for Alien, but as zyg notes, soon to be American!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

congrats!

Thanks for your post!

U.S. citizens:

So I had my oath and I decided to not get a new passport, even though I was traveling the day after the oath ceremony ! SMART - or for sure NOT. I left US using a Romanian passport, but now I was a US citizen and no, nobody said nothing to me. I did not realize the gravity of what I had done until I came back to US. ..I get back to US, they ask for my passport. I gave them the Romanian passport. The lady asked for my greencard. I HAD NO GREENCARD! I told her that I naturalized and showed the Certificate showing so. She then took my papers and started yelling at me. She basically said, YOU HAVE TAKEN A OATH, YOU HAVE GIVEN UP ROMANIAN CITIZENSHIP TO BE A US CITIZEN. AND HERE YOU ARE TRAVELLING WITH A ROMANIAN PASSPORT! THIS IS ILLEGAL! THIS PASSPORT IS NOT VALID ANYMORE! Well it was valid in other countries, like Romania because they allow double citizenship but not valid in US. I felt so embarassed, people were watching me but I guess I deserved it. A guy came and took me into a back room, they refused to stamp my entry in US because the passport was not valid. I waited there for awhile then I was called to an office where a guy asked me all kinds of questions (where were you, what did you do there, where do you live, where do you go to school, where do you work, who do you live with, what are your parents names, what do they do,...etc.) He let me go after telling me that I should go get a passport and never try to do anything like that again; that passport is invalid and I should not use it again because I would not be let go that easily again.. Offcourse that they did not stamp my entry, I think he had his computer turned on and he might have filled some papers but I have nothing showing my entry back....They let me go but my family was waiting for me for more than 2 hours....Anyways I would not recommend it, I was 20 then and did not want to spend the money on a new passport. My father was really mad because he had his oath ceremony with me and kept telling me that we should go get a passport...this was only 3 years ago yeah I've grown up and ..Well, I don't know if anybody was or is as "smart" as me , heh once a US citizen the foreign passport is invalid. duh

:blush:

Edited by 1 lady in red

Octa and Nicu

I-129F Interview..........04-25-2005

US Entry......................05-19-2005

Marriage......................07-16-2005

Filed AOS/EAD..............08-16-2005

Received EAD................11-28-2005

AOS Interview...............05-15-2006

Received Green Card.....05-25-2006

The way to find out if you love someone or not, is by talking to them.

The more you talk to them the more you either hate them or love them.

Timeline

Wow, lady---what an interesting experience to have under your belt! I'm glad they let you in with only a bit of embarassment--I guess it could've been much worse! Thanks for writing that out for us.

For anyone still following, or interested, the CPB page I linked above also shows the document requirements for US citizens returning from other parts of the world. A US passport is specifically cited as required. Weasely for us in this case, since we are returning from Mexico, entry on the certificate and photo ID would be allowed.

I don't think we'll be letting it get that dire. :)

The rule here is: Get your US passport ASAP! :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.