Gemmie

I know most of you met your OH online...

48 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember the first time they met there SO in the USA, how easy was it to get threw customs?

Mine wasn't so easy.

I was stopped by an officer AFTER getting through the initial POE... he asked all about my boyfriend and how we met (to which I said online)... then he asked to see my tickets and how I paid for them as a student (I told him my dad loaned me the money). I then asked if there was a problem and he said no and gave everything back to me. I was SO nervous as I was moments away from meeting Bill for the first time, and then that happened! Thank goodness it turned out fine.

Me and Bill have been together for 4.5 years, but I count from when we officially met, 2.5 years. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The USA seems generally to be more tolerable of online relationships.

Does anyone remember the first time they met there SO in the USA, how easy was it to get threw customs? It was alot simpler than I thought it would be, infact my third time there I took a grilling from the lady at customs when she asked how we met , and I said online, I wasnt going to lie I just wanted to see my man again.

Stevens first trip here he also took a grilling, the customs guy at Glasgow airport called me on my mobile to ask if I knew him, and what we were going to do!.

We also looked into ways to be together without marriage at first, right now the time is perfect, I have just graduated college and the only ties I have to my bonnie country is my family and friends, no financial ties etc;.

How long has everyone been with there SO? (dating/engaged I mean, not how long have you known each other)

It was extremely easy for me.

I didn't say I was going to visit Alex because, truthfully, he was only one of a myriad of reasons for me visiting the States. I wasn't even sure if we would be compatible offline so I wasn't putting any stock into having a relationship with him at that point (like someone else here, when I first started talking to him I wasn't planning on ever meeting him and I wasn't interested in a relationship). I had plans to visit many other people I'd met online in California (I eventually met more than a dozen of them - all fantastic people!)

So I said I was going to stay with a family I'd met online (well, his parents were there!) and explained how I'd been talking to them for two years and had sent presents and letters and such. I also gave a brief overview of my (rather full) itinerary and then I was allowed through.

The second time, I again said I was visiting friends and staying with a family, and this time I could also say I'd met with and stayed with them before. I was asked a few more questions but I was barely kept for more than a couple of minutes. :)

I've been with Alex for over two years now.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The USA seems generally to be more tolerable of online relationships.

Does anyone remember the first time they met there SO in the USA, how easy was it to get threw customs? It was alot simpler than I thought it would be, infact my third time there I took a grilling from the lady at customs when she asked how we met , and I said online, I wasnt going to lie I just wanted to see my man again.

Stevens first trip here he also took a grilling, the customs guy at Glasgow airport called me on my mobile to ask if I knew him, and what we were going to do!.

We also looked into ways to be together without marriage at first, right now the time is perfect, I have just graduated college and the only ties I have to my bonnie country is my family and friends, no financial ties etc;.

How long has everyone been with there SO? (dating/engaged I mean, not how long have you known each other)

We've known eachother since February 2005, so a little over 3 years. We didn't really fall in love until July 2006, and to be honest we didn't really formally date...he came over in November 2006 for a few months (where he asked me to be his gf in person) and then January 4, 2007 he proposed.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.