snapcracklepop

US Consulate Request: Proof of Canadian Citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

We recently received our NOA2 notice for our K1 visa (Feb08 filer - wooot!)

Today I received a letter in the mail from the US Consulate General asking for proof of Canadian Citizenship (that would be me - I was born in SA).

I'm curious ... has anyone received a request like this before? I plan to scan my Canadian passport and citizenship card, then email it to them using the email addy they provided. But now I'm wondering if I should first have these copies notarized to confirm that they're authentic.

Any advice on what others have done in the past? I'm just so happy that things are starting to move along, and want to make sure I give them the right stuff to avoid delays :)

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Ing

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

Hi Snap!

Welcome to VJ! I haven't seen you post before. Welcome as well to the Canada forum. I've never heard of that request here before. I've been on VJ for 2 years now.

Notwithstanding, notorization can only attest that the documents contain seals of certification. I don't know that they'll say they're authentic will they? Maybe only if they are certified. At the same time, if you didn't include that in your original package, then I'd maybe just send in the copies.

Hope I haven't confused the issue!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as carla said welcome to VJ

me neather I never heard of such a request ( unless you didnt include those documents in the aplication when you mailed it ,)

I also never heard that your able to fax a RFE ( request for aditional effidance ) but if your able to fax it cool :)

my thinking is ,I would make a copy of the letter they send you , a copy of your canadien certificate card ,

a copy of your passport and a copy of your birth cert and send it all per fax ,

and also per certivied mail ( to make sure they realy get it ),

but thats just my advice good luck

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi there,

Today I received a letter in the mail from the US Consulate General asking for proof of Canadian Citizenship (that would be me - I was born in SA).

I'm curious ... has anyone received a request like this before? I plan to scan my Canadian passport and citizenship card, then email it to them using the email addy they provided. But now I'm wondering if I should first have these copies notarized to confirm that they're authentic.

Any advice on what others have done in the past? I'm just so happy that things are starting to move along, and want to make sure I give them the right stuff to avoid delays :)

Ing

Hi and welcome!

Since you were born in South Africa? That may be why they are asking for proof of your Citizenship. Rather than proving that you are actually Canadian, they are probably requesting proof that you are entitled to interview in Canada (ie you are a legal resident).

Good luck!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed... they want proof that you are entitled to interview in Canada. A copy of either (Citizenship Card or ID Page of Passport) should suffice. Notarization is not necessary.

And they're not too good with electronic stuff. Go ahead and email it, but I would mail a hard copy as well.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Hi there,

Ing

I'll just echo the other people around, welcome to VJ! The other people answered the questions in your post...I just wanted to tell you that in order to find out the dates that the NVC received and mailed your petition, you just call and ask them. Make sure you hit the K1/fiance visa option because they do NOT enter K1 information into the automated system, you have to actually talk to a person. Most people have reported that they're pretty nice. :) I got a couple of impatient people, but mostly they were nice while I was waiting for them to receive it. However, it isn't a date you'll ever need to know, it just helps in tracking so other people know what to expect. :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Does the request state what types of documents would be considered acceptable as proof? It really should. But I'm pretty sure (as others have said) that a copy of your Canadian passport would be sufficient. That does pretty irrefutably show you are a citizen. My husband was born in the UK and this was never an issue for us. We sent copies of his entry stamps as part of our evidence of meeting in the past 24 months, and that included copies of the face page of his Canadian passport so they already had that in our case.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thank you SO much for your warm welcomes and advice! I've been skulking around on VJ for a few months now and have found it so helpful that I haven't had to post anything up till now :)

Yeah, this letter really threw me for a loop. They asked: "please provide evidence (of Canadian status) from a Canadian authority" but they didn't give examples of such. I agree that passport and citizenship cards probably fall into that category. They also requested that I communicate with them either by e-mail or fax. No calling and, stranger still, no snail mail (?!)

So I did exactly that: sent them copies of psprt and citizenship card by email. I also requested that they confirm that they received my email. So far nothing. I'll follow up in 2 days.

Thanks again everyone for your help! oh and about my timeline ... i've prolly missed the boat on the NVC actuals since they're done with me now ;)

Have a wonderful day

Snap

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.