venusfire503

visitors visas for MENA family members

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I know there are 'official' things to read about this, but I want to know the reality of it. How possible is it for MENA family members to get visitors visas? My husband has his 2 year card now, but plans to get citizenship in the future. Will it be easier then, or doesn't it matter? I'd love it if his parents could visit, especially since my ex won't agree to having me take my kids over there. They've seen each other on webcam, but it's not the same. Without their father's permission, I think I can't take them there until they are 16 or 18 (the oldest is 11, the youngest is 5).

His parents own a house, and his father works. I know he explained it to me somewhat before we filed the K1, so I know it has something to do with showing compelling reasons for them to go back after they visit....

My kids would really love to meet their step-grandparents. They'd also really love to go to Morocco, but that will probably have to wait.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Ok, I know there are 'official' things to read about this, but I want to know the reality of it. How possible is it for MENA family members to get visitors visas? My husband has his 2 year card now, but plans to get citizenship in the future. Will it be easier then, or doesn't it matter? I'd love it if his parents could visit, especially since my ex won't agree to having me take my kids over there. They've seen each other on webcam, but it's not the same. Without their father's permission, I think I can't take them there until they are 16 or 18 (the oldest is 11, the youngest is 5).

His parents own a house, and his father works. I know he explained it to me somewhat before we filed the K1, so I know it has something to do with showing compelling reasons for them to go back after they visit....

My kids would really love to meet their step-grandparents. They'd also really love to go to Morocco, but that will probably have to wait.

I'm curious how that works too. I hope you get some good answers.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think consensus is males have a harder time than females getting visitor's visas from the MENA area... we just applied for one brother (42) and one sister (52) of his, both own their own properties, cars, etc. Brother denied and they wouldn't look at his evidence, sister approved.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We were told by some fellow Egyptians at our Islamic Society that the older they are the easier it is to get a visa. I think they said if the parents were over 60 it can take as little as two weeks but again, I never read this I was told this by others.

I always think of the couple who had the parents visit and the father was deported. That still makes me worry about if we ever sent for his mother.

I think consensus is males have a harder time than females getting visitor's visas from the MENA area... we just applied for one brother (42) and one sister (52) of his, both own their own properties, cars, etc. Brother denied and they wouldn't look at his evidence, sister approved.

does your sister in law still planning to come for a visit?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Don't even bother if they're young, you'll just be throwing out the $100 application fee. You might have luck with the parents if they are old enough and have good jobs or a business, but it's a toss up. Men definitely have a harder time getting a visitor's visa then women.

I can't really blame the consulate for not wanting to give out visitor's visas. About half of the Moroccans here that my husband knows came on visitor's visas with absolutely no intention of ever going back.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline

I hate that there is gender discrimination too though.

Also, that story about the girl's FIL is still scaring me from the idea of bringing my husband's parents here someday to visit.

Timeline

Apparently, yes. So of course, follwing the regular social norms for there, we're going to have to buy the entirety of teh ticket, etc.

Filed: Timeline

Apparently, yes. So of course, follwing the regular social norms for there, we're going to have to buy the entirety of teh ticket, etc.

I feel ya on this one....

Timeline

Yeah, I don't know exactly how he thought we'd afford 2 of them! that would be over 5k! I'm hoping to calm his ideas about what he wants to do when she's here some... because what he wants to to practically drive all over creation and it's very expensive to stay in Chicago, etc., especially since he only wants to spend like 4 days on this.. and it will be over 1k for that. Now, I'm hoping he'll let her have her own room at our house though. he was saying before she'd sleep in our room and his brothers in another room and then no one in the third bedroom because he didn't think she should stay alone. I think she is a big girl and can do it.

Timeline

Yeah, I don't know exactly how he thought we'd afford 2 of them! that would be over 5k! I'm hoping to calm his ideas about what he wants to do when she's here some... because what he wants to to practically drive all over creation and it's very expensive to stay in Chicago, etc., especially since he only wants to spend like 4 days on this.. and it will be over 1k for that. Now, I'm hoping he'll let her have her own room at our house though. he was saying before she'd sleep in our room and his brothers in another room and then no one in the third bedroom because he didn't think she should stay alone. I think she is a big girl and can do it.

I don't see why she can't sleep in her own room, but there are still some things in middle eastern culture I haven't got used to. Maybe thats normal to not sleep alone???

Timeline
I don't see why she can't sleep in her own room, but there are still some things in middle eastern culture I haven't got used to. Maybe thats normal to not sleep alone???

Yeah, I imagine it's not considered very host-like of us to make her her own room or something. Sort of like how if they are respecting you, they all pretty much practically sit in your lap rather than spread out through the livingroom. They don't get into the idea of personal space much. I think it would be nicer though, because you could be free to dress and undress, etc. So we'll see. Maybe if I put it that way, he'll consider it.

Timeline

Yeah, I imagine it's not considered very host-like of us to make her her own room or something. Sort of like how if they are respecting you, they all pretty much practically sit in your lap rather than spread out through the livingroom. They don't get into the idea of personal space much. I think it would be nicer though, because you could be free to dress and undress, etc. So we'll see. Maybe if I put it that way, he'll consider it.

I didn't feel crowded with my husbands family. I did share a room with his sister since he was in Syria and I visited them alone in Jordan.

I think they points you made about giving her privacy are valid. I hope he sees that.

Timeline
I didn't feel crowded with my husbands family. I did share a room with his sister since he was in Syria and I visited them alone in Jordan.

I think they points you made about giving her privacy are valid. I hope he sees that.

Same for me-- my Dh's family mostly left me some space which was nice. It was everyone else i visited LOL. Yeah, I hope he sees it too. She'd only be like 50 feet from us... it's not that bad! LOL!

Filed: Timeline

Sounds like my hubby...LMAO. He was saying having his mom stay in our room w/ me and babies and he would stay in the spare room. I said...ummm, no ur mom and babies in spare room and we keep our room...LMAO! :devil:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.