Pandora01

Packet 3 received

12 posts in this topic

Just received my packet 3 from the Consulate today. I'm so happy! Yahoooo!!!! :dancing::dance:

However, it does raise additional questions so here goes.

In the checklist, they say to arrange for a medical examination by one of the panel physicians but on the page with the information for the medical exam, they say to give the date of the immigrant visa appointment when calling to book the medical. If I book the medical right now, how can I give them the date of my interview since I won't know it until the Consulate has processed my file? Also, they say to bring (amongst others) the appointment letter. If I book my appointment right now, how can I know that I'll have received the appointment letter at the time of my medical exam? What if the appointment day comes and I haven't received the appointment letter? This is driving me nuts....!!!

I found an older version of the DS-156 form in PDF format but it's two pages long and in the instructions they say the form I'll fill online is 3 pages long. Is there anything I need to gather in advance so I can complete it? My problem is that I'll have to use a computer at work to fill it out because I have a Mac at home and it gives me an error when I try to access the form. So what documentation, if any, do I need to have available so I can complete it?

DS-230, Part I, #23 "List below all educational institutions attended". How far back do I have to go? I can figure out some of them but specifying the months, I can't. Will that be a problem? Can I just leave the month field empty?

DS-156, #34 "Names and relationships of persons traveling with you." Our plan is for my fiance to come pick me up once I have the visa and we'll move my stuff ourselves. Does it mean I should list his name here? Or do they mean other persons that would be immigrating?

DS-156, #36, "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?" I guess they mean before this one but just to be sure, is it the case?

On the DS-156K PDF file I found, #22 "When do you intend to arrive in the US?" My answer would be "when the visa is approved" but how do you write that in a date field? Is it ok to just leave the field blank?

This covers my questions so far, unless I forgot something (I hope not!). I so want to do this right, it's driving me nuts! :wacko:

Edited by Pandora01

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I know that many people on here have booked their medical without their letter. They just gave them a case number and possible shows them the packet 3 list? I'm pretty sure that was at Dr. Seiden.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I know that many people on here have booked their medical without their letter. They just gave them a case number and possible shows them the packet 3 list? I'm pretty sure that was at Dr. Seiden.

Thanks SapphireDreams. I'll be keeping a photocopy of everything I'll be mailing back so I guess showing the list is an option. I'll call Seiden's today and see if they can shed some light on this.

Just received my packet 3 from the Consulate today. I'm so happy! Yahoooo!!!! :dancing::dance:

However, it does raise additional questions so here goes.

In the checklist, they say to arrange for a medical examination by one of the panel physicians but on the page with the information for the medical exam, they say to give the date of the immigrant visa appointment when calling to book the medical. If I book the medical right now, how can I give them the date of my interview since I won't know it until the Consulate has processed my file? Also, they say to bring (amongst others) the appointment letter. If I book my appointment right now, how can I know that I'll have received the appointment letter at the time of my medical exam? What if the appointment day comes and I haven't received the appointment letter? This is driving me nuts....!!!

Just call for your appointment and give them your case number. You might get your interview letter before the actual appointment. You can then take that letter, if not, then just bring a copy of that your Package 3 letter.

I found an older version of the DS-156 form in PDF format but it's two pages long and in the instructions they say the form I'll fill online is 3 pages long. Is there anything I need to gather in advance so I can complete it? My problem is that I'll have to use a computer at work to fill it out because I have a Mac at home and it gives me an error when I try to access the form. So what documentation, if any, do I need to have available so I can complete it?

DS-230, Part I, #23 "List below all educational institutions attended". How far back do I have to go? I can figure out some of them but specifying the months, I can't. Will that be a problem? Can I just leave the month field empty? Go back to HS. I don't know how old you are, but how many after HS did you attend? I'd put it down like this if there are lots. Fairfield College 1982-1984, Ryerson Tech Jan-Feb 1989 etc. Put down months if that's all you know, put down years if that's all you know. I wouldn't put down college courses, or a ceramics class you took. Put down specific degrees or certificate courses you took.

DS-156, #34 "Names and relationships of persons traveling with you." Our plan is for my fiance to come pick me up once I have the visa and we'll move my stuff ourselves. Does it mean I should list his name here? Or do they mean other persons that would be immigrating?They mean who's immigrating with you.

DS-156, #36, "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?" I guess they mean before this one but just to be sure, is it the case Put no.

On the DS-156K PDF file I found, #22 "When do you intend to arrive in the US?" My answer would be "when the visa is approved" but how do you write that in a date field? Is it ok to just leave the field blank? I thought it was just a blank space, in wish case you could put what you said above in quotations. Is there a date field? I'd leave it blank then, and maybe type underneath that the above quotation.

This covers my questions so far, unless I forgot something (I hope not!). I so want to do this right, it's driving me nuts! :wacko:

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

DS-156, #36, "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?" I guess they mean before this one but just to be sure, is it the case?

On the DS-156K PDF file I found, #22 "When do you intend to arrive in the US?" My answer would be "when the visa is approved" but how do you write that in a date field? Is it ok to just leave the field blank?

On Question #36, technically a K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, isn't it? (pshaw...after all this, like we're not going through with it). So "no" is technically the correct answer, even if they are counting this one. :)

I think the DS-156K isn't required until the interview, so you could hold off on filling it out until you get the letter, plan exactly when you're going to be moving based on your interview date, then put that date in there. :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the checklist, they say to arrange for a medical examination by one of the panel physicians but on the page with the information for the medical exam, they say to give the date of the immigrant visa appointment when calling to book the medical.

Some panel physicians are ok with booking the medical with some paperwork, other than the appointment letter - some aren't, you will need to check with the one you are going to see.

I'm not familiar with this form.

DS-230, Part I, #23 "List below all educational institutions attended". How far back do I have to go? I can figure out some of them but specifying the months, I can't. Will that be a problem? Can I just leave the month field empty?

For my Husband's - we listed everything back to elementary school, I have seen others say they started at High School - there is no cut and dried answer for this, if you know them all it can't hurt to include them.

I don't think you should leave the month field empty - I would fill it in to the best of your recollection.

Yes, they mean before this one.

I wouldn't leave it blank. I would enter the month and day you think you will move, or would like to move, after all they aren't asking when you will actually move - just when you intend to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I booked my medical they didn't need any information, but they did want to see the letter when I went for my medical. Right now, I think you just have to guess when you book your medical based on others timelines and then move it if you have to. I moved mine once and it was no problem. Or you can just wait for your letter (packet 4). You just want to make sure you have it before your interview. When I booked they only needed a couple of weeks notice.

I put in my best guess. Didn't seem to really matter.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Thanks everyone, these answers help :)

Aravis - Yes, the DS-156K doesn't need to be mailed, but the old PDF of the DS-156 I found asks the same question. So my guess is that the question is there too in the online version. I remember seeing a number to call if I have any questions. Problem is I've got so many links with visa information, it's probably going to take me the rest of the evening to find it again! :P

Ummm... just noticed that the DS-230 they sent only has Part I. Part II isn't in the package. Is that normal? :blink:

Aravis - Yes, the DS-156K doesn't need to be mailed, but the old PDF of the DS-156 I found asks the same question. So my guess is that the question is there too in the online version. I remember seeing a number to call if I have any questions. Problem is I've got so many links with visa information, it's probably going to take me the rest of the evening to find it again! :P

Ummm... just noticed that the DS-230 they sent only has Part I. Part II isn't in the package. Is that normal? :blink:

I would just wait to submit the form until you have your interview date...if you're going to be moving ASAP afterwards, just put the next weekend. :) Or you could submit it now and put your ideal and hope they speed up scheduling your interview for it! ;)

Yup...you're only required to submit part 1 (at least at this point...I haven't seen anywhere that part II is required for K-1s).

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

For the medical, I went to Dr. Seiden's before I got my interview letter and it wasn't a problem. They just wanted to see the most recent correspondance from the consulate (so I showed them the package from the consulate... just the cover letter is probably fine). I'm sure most wouldn't care either way so long as they get paid.

Some of the instructions on the forms and the instructions that the consulate gives you don't make sense. Follow whatever the instructions are from the consulate. In my instructions, Montreal told me to mail the DS-156K as well as the DS-156 (to be filled out online --not handwritten) and the DS-230 Part I immediately (don't worry about part II... I didn't need it so I'm assuming you wouldn't). You probably want to send in the checklist with those, because that will get you into the system sooner for interview dates.

The DS-156 that I filled out was at http://evisaforms.state.gov.

For the schooling question, I started with high school.

Hope that helps! :)

K-1 Visa Timeline

01.07.08 Sent in I-129f package

01.24.08 NOA1

03.25.08 NOA2

04.18.08 Package 3 received

05.07.08 Medical @ Dr. Seiden's in T.O.

05.09.08 Sent back checklist & forms

05.13.08 Mtl received & eligible for interview

06.12.08 Called DOS & found out interview date

06.19.08 Received interview letter

07.24.08 Interview in Montreal - Approved!! :D

07.28.08 Received Visa!!!

08.04.08 POE Alexandria Bay

08.18.08 Civil Ceremony

10.11.08 Wedding

AOS Timeline

04.25.09 Sent in AOS, EAD, AP package

04.27.09 Accepted at Chicago Office

05.01.09 NOAS for AOS, EAD & AP

05.12.09 Biometrics Appt letter

06.02.09 Biometrics done

07.01.09 EAD card production ordered & AP approval

07.09.09 Received AP

07.13.09 Received EAD

07.17.09 Received AOS interview notice

08.17.09 AOS interview - Approved !! :D

Removing Conditions

08.16.11 I-751 received by VSC

08.24.11 NOA came in mail

09.07.11 Biometrics appt notice

09.30.11 Biometrics appt

I would just wait to submit the form until you have your interview date...if you're going to be moving ASAP afterwards, just put the next weekend. :) Or you could submit it now and put your ideal and hope they speed up scheduling your interview for it! ;)

Yup...you're only required to submit part 1 (at least at this point...I haven't seen anywhere that part II is required for K-1s).

I checked the DS-156 on the PC at work. The question is there too. As for waiting to sent in the form, I can't because they won't set the appointment until they've received the forms (DS-230 and DS-156). I'll check some timelines and estimate a date from that.

Re DS-230: Ok, I'll go with what they sent then.

For the medical, I went to Dr. Seiden's before I got my interview letter and it wasn't a problem. They just wanted to see the most recent correspondance from the consulate (so I showed them the package from the consulate... just the cover letter is probably fine). I'm sure most wouldn't care either way so long as they get paid.

Some of the instructions on the forms and the instructions that the consulate gives you don't make sense. Follow whatever the instructions are from the consulate. In my instructions, Montreal told me to mail the DS-156K as well as the DS-156 (to be filled out online --not handwritten) and the DS-230 Part I immediately (don't worry about part II... I didn't need it so I'm assuming you wouldn't). You probably want to send in the checklist with those, because that will get you into the system sooner for interview dates.

The DS-156 that I filled out was at http://evisaforms.state.gov.

For the schooling question, I started with high school.

Hope that helps! :)

Booked my medical today. Turns out they need to see a letter from the consulate which has my case number on it. The cover letter of packet 3 does have it so I'm covered :)

Ummm... my set of instructions says "STEP ONE. Please complete and return immediately to this office the enclosed DS-230 Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration and the Form DS-156 in duplicate." Then there's instructions on having to fill the DS-156 online. The paragraph ends with " Complete the single copy of the Form DS-156K, Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application." They don't specifically say that the DS-156K has to be returned. Should it be? :blink:

Yup, that's my plan, to send the checklist with the forms. Already have everything that's on the checklist, just had the medical left. I'll be filling the forms this weekend (found a friend with a PC who's willing to help). So if all goes as planned, I'll be mailing them on Monday.

I'll start with high school too then. That makes it a little easier.

Thanks muffin! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.