Gemmie

"Where are you from?"

91 posts in this topic

When we lived in Ireland for a bit people always thought I was a south african and Joni was an Aussie, now we are in the UK people think Joni is either Irish or Australian. And when ive been in the US up in Minneapolis no one pays me any attention until i show ID for Booze then they are all like oooh england cool did you see the queen in her undies? :blink:

21-01-08 Found Sponsor UIL

12-02-08 Requested Affadavits of Bona Fide marriage from freinds

04-03-08 1st affadavit received

07-03-08 2nd Affadavit received

11-03-083rd Affadavit received

12-03-08 Our affadavit notarised

13-03-08 I-130 Posted DCF london Embassy

15-03-08 Application rejected (Rejection was due to lack of evidence of DW permission to work and live in the uk which they had already and eveidence we had been living in the country permanently for the last six months)

17-03-08 Re submitted I-130 and G-325a's DCF to london along with supporting evidence.

04-04-08 Credit Card Billed NOA1

05-04-08 Email received confirming File date 4th of April

09-04-08 Evidence received back along with Affidavit of bona-fide marriage

21-04-08 Applied for Police certificate from the Gardaí

31-05-08 Received Police Clearance from the Gardai

19-06-08 1400hrs sent application for Police clearance certs ACRO

19-06-08 1401hrs Realised i hadnt put in copies of bills and passport so posted them in a separate envelope

20-06-08 Received phone call asking for copies of bills and passport

28-06-08 Received ACRO police cert and RFE for Affadavits ####### see 09-04-08. Sent original affadavits

09-07-08 NOA2 Received :)109 Days from filing

11-07-08 Packet 3 Received

14-07-08 Posted DS-230 waiting on Birth Certificate (long)

11-08-08 Visa Interview APPROVED

12-08-08 Medical at 0850

19-08-08 Visa in hand

05-12-08 Arrive in Twin Cities (Provisional)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one i've met has ever heard of name before either.....most get it wrong...calling me Jenna.....how hard can Jemma be? lol

:lol:

Same problem!

"GEM-MA?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I work in a bank in a city here in up state NY and even though we are right near an old airforce base (which had loads of brits in and out of it once upon a time) I still get asked if I am from South Africia/Australia/South Carolina (yeah right how do ya work that one out). the next question is Have you ever meet the Queen (yep every sunday for tea is what I used to say) and one old bloke asked me what Jellied eels were like (I told him they were minging but my nan luvs em) :devil: , I guess you can take a girl out of london/essex but never london/essex out of the girl.

It gets easier after 2 years and now my mum has a bit of trouble asking me to repete myself every so often (hmmm I guess living in a village that has woodchuck mentality is finaly getting to me)

Donna

Almost done with it all

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Matt's first visit here, we were at a restaurant, and when the waitress heard his accent she went to get a girl from England who works there to "translate". I said "you do realize he DOES speak English right?". He kind of gets a bit embarrassed because everyone wants to hear him talk. After the first time he met everyone from my office, one of the docs said she had no idea what he was saying so she just nodded. That made me laugh.

I love his accent of course, and he likes mine. I have spent so many countless hours talking to him though, that I don't notice it that much anymore, and that makes me sad. Unless I hear him talking to someone else, then it jumps out at me again.

Edited by Sherri and Matt

Spring 2006 ~ Met in World of Warcraft

5/07~ Fell in Love

5/29/07 ~ Officially a couple

9/15//07-09/22/07 ~ His first visit

12/29/07 - 1/12/08 ~ His second visit

4/25/08 - 5/5/08 ~ His third visit

5/4/08 ~ Engaged !

8/30/08 ~ 9/6/08 ~ His fourth visit

12/23/08 ~ 01/17/09 ~ His fifth visit

01/06/09 ~ K-1 finally filed!!!!

01/12/09 ~ NOA1

04/10/09 ~ 5 days in London, then 10 days with the in-laws to be in France!

04/25/09 ~ Back home...waiting...

05/28/09 ~ NOA2

08/04/09 ~ Medical

08/11/09 ~ Interview!! ~ APPROVED!!

08/23/09 ~ POE Phillie

10/10/09 ~ Wedding!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I love his accent of course, and he likes mine. I have spent so many countless hours talking to him though, that I don't notice it that much anymore, and that makes me sad. Unless I hear him talking to someone else, then it jumps out at me again.

That's the same with me and Tom, I never really notice his accent anymore. It's only when I talk to another American then I notice.

I also (recently) got asked by my brother-in-law's friend what language I spoke in England :blink: I said "English" while trying not to actually pass out from her sheer stupidity, to which she replied "No, I mean your native tongue" like I was stupid and didn't understand her first question...

I mean come on - what language did she think we spoke in ENGLAND?!?! :rofl:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Did you ask her why 'English' was called that and not 'American'?

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Totally with you here - Jeremy just sounds like himself - it is his voice now, not an accent. When we first started talking on the phone many years ago, I couldn't tell him and his brother apart though cause I thought they sounded the same!! If he is on the phone or ordering food though he sounds really American - but I think it is the style of language used as well - it's weird. He also sounds more American when he first gets to England because he is surrounded by English accents :)

I also (recently) got asked by my brother-in-law's friend what language I spoke in England :blink: I said "English" while trying not to actually pass out from her sheer stupidity, to which she replied "No, I mean your native tongue" like I was stupid and didn't understand her first question...

I mean come on - what language did she think we spoke in ENGLAND?!?! :rofl:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Did you ask her why 'English' was called that and not 'American'?

:lol: I know - and she was soooo sincere as well - she looked really serious like I was really alien (I decided not to go into the immigration talk... I mean - if she doesn't know what language I speak then...) or something :rofl:

Has anyone else had any experiences of Americans putting on English accents to sound cool? I went to Disneyland and a lady came up to me and asked if she could help, and I said I was just looking (in the store). She scurries away and Jeremy is killing himself laughing and asks me if I heard her accent. I said I did and that she just sounded a bit weird - I figured it was an accent from a part of the US I hadn't been to before because she sounded American still. He then told me she was trying to put on an English accent and as soon as she heard me speak she was obviously embarrassed and ran away :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

People take bets on where I am from and when I say the UK, there is always one person looking disappointed. Main thoughts over here in IN is that I'm from Australia, or Ireland. For some reason, bright red hair (from a bottle may I add, and obviously so, this colour is NOT found in nature! lol), blue eyes and a "funny" accent must mean I'm Irish.

:wacko:

Seriously, I don't mind. I let people have their fun, I don't get stressed over it - they're obviously enjoying themselves! :D

Mags, I notice that the nine names at the bottom of your sig don't include "kitten".. does this mean you have named it and *gasp* been allowed to keep it?!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline
Mags, I notice that the nine names at the bottom of your sig don't include "kitten".. does this mean you have named it and *gasp* been allowed to keep it?!

She does, indeed, have a name. Although we all swear blind we're not keeping her. :lol:

Yeah yeah... Also noticed you changed your name :( Kinda weird not having you being "Mags" anymore :cry:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Timeline
Yeah yeah... Also noticed you changed your name :( Kinda weird not having you being "Mags" anymore :cry:

She was "Magenta" when I met her and when I married her. So I'm quite used to Magenta. lol

She swears she's not keeping Poppy, but I'll bet that she does.....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Has anyone else had any experiences of Americans putting on English accents to sound cool? I went to Disneyland and a lady came up to me and asked if she could help, and I said I was just looking (in the store). She scurries away and Jeremy is killing himself laughing and asks me if I heard her accent. I said I did and that she just sounded a bit weird - I figured it was an accent from a part of the US I hadn't been to before because she sounded American still. He then told me she was trying to put on an English accent and as soon as she heard me speak she was obviously embarrassed and ran away :lol:

That is entirely too funny...you would think she would know better than to get away with that, esp at a huge tourist attraction. If I had been there I would have likely to have been carried out of the park :rofl:

LMAO...my best friend and I would put on faux Brit accents when I lived back in Nebraska (even funnier she is Asian...so she would get REALLY odd stares). Since I look very British/Irish myself, I could get away with it.

One time we were in Gordman's department store and we were talking to each other in faux brit. This lady comes up and says she loves our accents and proceeds to ask questions about our "lives"...I mean a complete conversation and she wouldn't go away. Basically we had to make up an entire backstory...I think Laya said something like she was an interior designer from Manchester who specialized in designing office cublicles or some BS like that. I think I said I was studying abroad at the University of Nebraska (I wasn't really lying...it was the abroad part that was incorrect!). As you can see Laya is much more creative than I am when put on the spot!

People take bets on where I am from and when I say the UK, there is always one person looking disappointed. Main thoughts over here in IN is that I'm from Australia, or Ireland. For some reason, bright red hair (from a bottle may I add, and obviously so, this colour is NOT found in nature! lol), blue eyes and a "funny" accent must mean I'm Irish.

:wacko:

Seriously, I don't mind. I let people have their fun, I don't get stressed over it - they're obviously enjoying themselves! :D

For some reason (and this seems to happen in Glasgow in particular) people think I'm Aussie or Canadian. I can see where they can get Canadian/American accents mixed up, but Aussie???

wtf-picard.jpg

Platy - you mean you get no say in the matter?!?! Hehehe XD I thought kitty was remaining nameless so that attachments weren't formed (yeah right) and she was to go back to the shelter... You must have the patience of a saint... or work a lot of overtime :D

Ginger - if you're doing it as a laugh it's one thing, but I think this one person thought it impressed people - I mean yeah there are prolly Brit tourists but most go to FL I would think over CA... I could imagine it perhaps in hospitality for tips or whatever as well... but a shop???

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Timeline
Platy - you mean you get no say in the matter?!?! Hehehe XD I thought kitty was remaining nameless so that attachments weren't formed (yeah right) and she was to go back to the shelter... You must have the patience of a saint... or work a lot of overtime :D

I bought myself a new bike. True, I sold 2 of the old ones, but still....I bought myself a new bike. Mags gets a new cat every time I get a new bike. Too bad I can't make her sell 2 of the old ones before she gets a new one, though....

As for work.... I leave at 8:30am and get home at 8:30-9:00pm. That answer your question? lol

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.