AlHayatZween

Habibi Has Arrived!

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
So at this point we are just working on his resume (which is a mega task).

Shouldn't the two of you have been working on his resume WAY before he landed here? Don't you think it should have been finished and out there before he even arrived?

Like there isn't anything else to do before he arrives. Cut some slack here.

I know theres lots of other stuff to do but I would have imagined this would be up there at least on the top 10 list of things to do before he got here. Obviously its become a problem on here for quite a few women.

Don't worry, it affects a lot of the men here too...just wait, your Philipina wife/fiance will want to work, want to find a job, and it will take time. Husbands or wives all want to find a job when they come here...for many husbands, they want to support and contribute to their wife here, for wives, it is a way to support families back home.

Typically, everyone is so excited to be with their spouse, that working on a resume, although a major issue, is somewhat on the backburner. Don't worry, you'll see just what it's like when your wife or fiance gets here.

One other thing, if she's a fiance and she comes on a K1, she can be waiting for quite some time until her EAD comes through - that should make you all feel the pressure. :devil:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I know theres lots of other stuff to do but I would have imagined this would be up there at least on the top 10 list of things to do before he got here. Obviously its become a problem on here for quite a few women.

To be fair, finding work is a problem for a lot of people USC's included these days... one of my contracts ran out in the spring, and it took me 2 months to find work! and i'm an American, speak the language, good resume, several years in my field...etc... it's really tough out there these days!

oh yes, and i agree two weeks is nothin'... luckily in Habibi's travels today he met another Moroccan man who told him to be patient, something will come along. i'm so grateful he heard it from someone else! and i'm so grateful he's actually meeting some nice people... that's something, no?

Edited by AlHayatZween

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To be fair, finding work is a problem for a lot of people USC's included these days... one of my contracts ran out in the spring, and it took me 2 months to find work! and i'm an American, speak the language, good resume, several years in my field...etc... it's really tough out there these days!

oh yes, and i agree two weeks is nothin'... luckily in Habibi's travels today he met another Moroccan man who told him to be patient, something will come along. i'm so grateful he heard it from someone else! and i'm so grateful he's actually meeting some nice people... that's something, no?

Yes I know the job market is a little tough now, thats why getting a jump start on things is not a bad idea. Well i wish you luck with everything, and I really hope things work out for you, because its obviously very tough for you right now, it just P***es me off that hes treating you the way he is, not being there for the birth etc, he's in America now, and thats what real american men do, stand by their women. You deserve better.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes I know the job market is a little tough now, thats why getting a jump start on things is not a bad idea. Well i wish you luck with everything, and I really hope things work out for you, because its obviously very tough for you right now, it just P***es me off that hes treating you the way he is, not being there for the birth etc, he's in America now, and thats what real american men do, stand by their women. You deserve better.

:unsure: I think you might have her confused with another member....

Edited by polarbear

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

Shouldn't the two of you have been working on his resume WAY before he landed here? Don't you think it should have been finished and out there before he even arrived?

Don't worry, it affects a lot of the men here too...just wait, your Philipina wife/fiance will want to work, want to find a job, and it will take time. Husbands or wives all want to find a job when they come here...for many husbands, they want to support and contribute to their wife here, for wives, it is a way to support families back home.

Typically, everyone is so excited to be with their spouse, that working on a resume, although a major issue, is somewhat on the backburner. Don't worry, you'll see just what it's like when your wife or fiance gets here.

One other thing, if she's a fiance and she comes on a K1, she can be waiting for quite some time until her EAD comes through - that should make you all feel the pressure. :devil:

No pressure here, shes planning on going to school to finish her education, which she didnt do over there. She probably wont be working for at least two years, which is fine by me.

Timeline

You're right, sorry about that I was thinking of another lady on here, my bad. :bonk:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Regarding doing the resume before they get here..............I'm not sure how the rest of the world is but a resume wasn't something my husband was familiar with. Maybe he just lived under a rock...I dunno...but things were very different in terms of how he got his past jobs. I had tried to explain that he needed a resume but he really had no idea what I was talking about until he got here and tried to get a job.

For us, it was VERY helpful for him to go to our local career center. He ultimately didn't get his job from there BUT they had free seminars on how to write a resume, the importance of a resume and how to conduct yourself in an interview. Those things that he learned there are definitely what has made him understand the process here a LOT better.

Another thing he learned the hard way was not to mention wages/salary stuff until you get the job. For sure at the second interview you should ask how much they're paying but he got too into specifics of comission and how it all works here at one interview and apparently it po'd the woman he was interviewing with. It's confusing if you really think about it 'cause ... duh...the only reason you want the job is to make money, you know? Unless you're a trust fund baby and you're doing it for some sort of soul searching thing. lol. But that's just something you might want to enforce with your spouses just in case they didn't already know.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

No pressure here, shes planning on going to school to finish her education, which she didnt do over there. She probably wont be working for at least two years, which is fine by me.

OK - well, have you gotten her transcripts from her Phil. Univ. translated and evaluated? She will need to do that before she can even apply. If you haven't done this already, you'll want to get started now. Also, it can be pretty costly too. Furthermore, she'll be paying international student tuition for the first year normally, as she will have to be a resident for 12 months, even if she's married to a Florida resident. You will be paying a pretty penny for her education. Furthermore, the Florida University system is currently turning many students away to keep costs down. Your fiance will have to be very, very competitive to get into one of the state universities.

Also, to even be evaluated as a potential for the university system, she will have to be an LPR...that means that until you all adjust status, which can take up to 6+ months, she will be inadmissable. Just food for thought.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by Staashi

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You're right, sorry about that I was thinking of another lady on here, my bad. :bonk:

Yeah, and that one you are thinking of did tick me off too. I agree with you there.

Regarding doing the resume before they get here..............I'm not sure how the rest of the world is but a resume wasn't something my husband was familiar with. Maybe he just lived under a rock...I dunno...but things were very different in terms of how he got his past jobs. I had tried to explain that he needed a resume but he really had no idea what I was talking about until he got here and tried to get a job.

For us, it was VERY helpful for him to go to our local career center. He ultimately didn't get his job from there BUT they had free seminars on how to write a resume, the importance of a resume and how to conduct yourself in an interview. Those things that he learned there are definitely what has made him understand the process here a LOT better.

Another thing he learned the hard way was not to mention wages/salary stuff until you get the job. For sure at the second interview you should ask how much they're paying but he got too into specifics of comission and how it all works here at one interview and apparently it po'd the woman he was interviewing with. It's confusing if you really think about it 'cause ... duh...the only reason you want the job is to make money, you know? Unless you're a trust fund baby and you're doing it for some sort of soul searching thing. lol. But that's just something you might want to enforce with your spouses just in case they didn't already know.

Yep. Resumes were not a Jamaican thing either.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I had a lot on my plate before he arrived. Additionally, since he is a petroleum (oil & gas) engineer, his resume has a more technical aspect to it that makes it harder for me to write (technical processes being translated from Farsi to English).

We were more focused on getting his transcripts from Tehran University translated into English and certified by the Foreign Ministry along with all his specialized training certificates translated (which took time), that we put the making of resume last.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh I know I HATE that! Everyone tippy toes around it as if we're just looking for a job because we LOVE to work SO MUCH. Pfffft....

Timeline

Oh I know I HATE that! Everyone tippy toes around it as if we're just looking for a job because we LOVE to work SO MUCH. Pfffft....

Yeah that is pretty annoying. Another way to work around it though is to ask up front over the initial phone conversation what they are "offering" for the position. It saves time and effort and doesn't waste anyone's time.

mine new what a resume was. He called it his cv. He had one of his friends help him make it better since I'm no good at that kind of thing. We did make sure to have that all ready before he got here but .. u know...it still took 3 months for him to get hired somewhere.

I had my last job for 9 years and before that I was a CNA at nursing homes so they were begging for ppl off the street. I had to put one together for myself when we moved down to TX and that was a trip.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

My husband already has a CV in english. His transcript from college is in english too. Basically we just have to convert his CV to a resume. I hadn't thought about doing it before he got here until the discussion on VJ. It really isn't a bad idea. As soon as he is approved I want him to start posting it so we can get started with him looking for work. There are some temp agencies around here too that may be helpful in the beginning. I'm thinking of sending him to those too. Everyone has such great ideas I wouldn't have thought of without their help. It is definitely worth listening to the advice given here from those who have been through this already.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

A resume and a CV are two different things with different formats. Information can overlap, but a CV is your entire history of education and experience, publications, awards, scholarships, etc. I think most American jobs actually want a resume and not a CV.... a resume is usually 1-2 pages, right? I have a resume and I have a CV. My resume is like a bit over a page depending on if I add references to it. My CV is 6 pages.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.