sashagrin

G-325 for AOS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I'm filling the AOS forms right now and thanks to VJ, i could find the answers to almost all of my questions from other ppl posts.

But i still have one: when filling G-325 for AOS, they ask you to write your name in your native language, if it's other than Roman letters...Well, I'm Russian, but the thing is, I'm gonna use my MARRIED name on all the forms but i guess I am not even sure how to write it Cyrillic...should I just write my MAIDEN name then in russian??? i'm confused...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey everyone!

I'm filling the AOS forms right now and thanks to VJ, i could find the answers to almost all of my questions from other ppl posts.

But i still have one: when filling G-325 for AOS, they ask you to write your name in your native language, if it's other than Roman letters...Well, I'm Russian, but the thing is, I'm gonna use my MARRIED name on all the forms but i guess I am not even sure how to write it Cyrillic...should I just write my MAIDEN name then in russian??? i'm confused...

In all of our forms that asked this we translated my American name (married name) to Cyrillic like you were talking about above. We used the same translation on her internal passport, international passport, etc. so everything matched perfectly. Everything went very smoothly.

Another thing we weren't completely sure on was her signature. Normally, her signature was something that she created and always used in Ukraine (which wasn't exactly matched to her name -- something a little interesting to me). We weren't sure if she should use this (the signature she was used to) or an "American" signature. In the end I had her sign things using her complete American name and again we had no problems.

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Timeline
Another thing we weren't completely sure on was her signature. Normally, her signature was something that she created and always used in Ukraine (which wasn't exactly matched to her name -- something a little interesting to me). We weren't sure if she should use this (the signature she was used to) or an "American" signature. In the end I had her sign things using her complete American name and again we had no problems.

In the larger scheme of things it probably won't matter, but her signature is her signature, and she should sign as she always has. In Russia, they don't necessarily sign their names, just a mark they sorta-kinda make up, which I'm sure has some historical significance. No need to change it. Heck, I've noticed over the years that it's rather hard to really pull my name out of my own signature...it just sorta looks like someone who couldn't be bothered to learn how to spell his own name. :D

As mox said, it's more of a mark than a signature. My wife was doing this after arrival as well and since the name change she's started signing with a last name, first name, middle initial "signature" that's transformed into somewhat of an American signature now.

Have her keep her "signature" (the mark that she's doing now) throughout all the paperwork that way it's consistent. But don't worry about it too much.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As mox said, it's more of a mark than a signature. My wife was doing this after arrival as well and since the name change she's started signing with a last name, first name, middle initial "signature" that's transformed into somewhat of an American signature now.

Have her keep her "signature" (the mark that she's doing now) throughout all the paperwork that way it's consistent. But don't worry about it too much.

Yeah. We did the opposite...I figured since it's American paperwork she should sign the way most Americans do using their name. Sounds like it is not so important though as long as you are consistent throughout.

Actually I was so paranoid that they were going to dink me for some stupid reason, for my wife's K3 interview, I gave her documents where she signed both ways and had her keep the Ukrainian-style signature ones along with other documents I didn't think she would need but would have just in case the officer gave her a hard time.

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Man, that is paranoid! But, better safe than sorry.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Since we were married and changed her name as part of that, we filed all the documents with her new last name, spelled in Cyrillic for that part as it appeared on my Russian visa.

Speaking of signatures.... when we went to get the marriage license, Natasha signed her name as she would in Russia (this is before the wedding, so her maiden name) - just her last name. The woman looked at this and said she should sign this 'American style', first name and last name. Natasha had no idea what to do so carefully wrote out her name. Sort of a cross between cursive and printing, which is what she favors for these things. Now that she has a new last name, she still carefully writes out her signature (occasionally leaving out the 'h' after the 't', since 'th' is just an alien concept to her). She longs for the day when she has a 'real' signature, one that looks like mine, which is to say one that looks as though an epileptic chicken walked in ink and then had a seizure on the paper. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

"TH" is funny! I purposely ask my wife things so she'll have to respond with the "th" in the middle of a word. I lucked out and have a brother called Na"th"an so it's always nice to talk about him.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.