norotonfd

DS 156 Question 36

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

On for DS 156 my fiance abroad has a question. When it asks if anyone has ever filed an immigrant visa petition on her behalf is the answer yes of no?

I thought the answer would be yes and for the who I she would put her fiance in America and my name

TIM - North Conway, NH

ANA - Chisinau, Moldova

JULY: Met Ana when my Russian tenants had a BBQ at my house

OCTOBER: Ana's visa about to expire time to go home to Moldova

JANUARY 2006: Flew to Moldova to ask her parents permission to marry her

Engaged January 12, 2006

Left Moldova January 28th

MARCH 3: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center

MARCH 10: NOA1 Received

APRIL 26: NOA 2 Received Approval

APRIL 28: NVC forwarded to Embassy in Romania

MAY 5: Received by US Embassy in Romania

MAY 12: Packet 3 Received

MAY 17: Packet 3 sent to US Embassy in Romania

MAY 17: Fiance notified of impending RFE due to IMBRA LAW

JUNE 30: Case Reopened at VSC

JULY 6: Received IMBRA RFE

JULY 10: Mailed RFE back to VSC

JULY 17: VSC has acknowledged receipt of IMBRA RFE

AUGUST 8: VSC Approval of NOA2!!!!! Great Day

SEPTEMBER 19: Interview in US EMBASSY Bucharest - VISA GRANTED

OCTOBER 16: Fly to Moldova

JANUARY 11: Fly home to America with Ana to get married!

JANUARY 16: Married in North Conway, NH

JANUARY 19: Filed for AOS and EAD

JULY 13: Received Green Card and Employment Authorization Card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
On for DS 156 my fiance abroad has a question. When it asks if anyone has ever filed an immigrant visa petition on her behalf is the answer yes of no?

I thought the answer would be yes and for the who I she would put her fiance in America and my name

My fiance' put "yes" and put my name down. We did this because I BELIEVE (correct me if I'm wrong) you have to fill out the DS-156 for all non-immigrant visa apps., like B-1/B-2 visas that don't require someone to petition for the alien.

But I dunno -- if you put "no" it probably won't matter since you can say you thought it meant other than for the visa you're interviewing for now. Likewise, if you put down "yes", I don't think it's big deal if it's incorrect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Timeline

norotonfd,

Well, has anyone - other than you - filed an immigrant visa on her behalf? Critical information that you don't provide.

Assuming that the answer to my question is 'no', then I don't think it makes much difference whether she answers the DS-156 question 'no' or 'yes' and identifies you. I do think that 'yes' is the better answer, however.

Yodrak

Stina,

I'm curious as to why you (and others, you're not alone) make this assumption.

Yodrak

I put no as I assumed it meant other petitions besides this one. I had no problems.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

My assumption is that she should put yes because I have filed an I-129F for her. So I would assume I opened the visa for her in America and she would put my name down.

TIM - North Conway, NH

ANA - Chisinau, Moldova

JULY: Met Ana when my Russian tenants had a BBQ at my house

OCTOBER: Ana's visa about to expire time to go home to Moldova

JANUARY 2006: Flew to Moldova to ask her parents permission to marry her

Engaged January 12, 2006

Left Moldova January 28th

MARCH 3: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center

MARCH 10: NOA1 Received

APRIL 26: NOA 2 Received Approval

APRIL 28: NVC forwarded to Embassy in Romania

MAY 5: Received by US Embassy in Romania

MAY 12: Packet 3 Received

MAY 17: Packet 3 sent to US Embassy in Romania

MAY 17: Fiance notified of impending RFE due to IMBRA LAW

JUNE 30: Case Reopened at VSC

JULY 6: Received IMBRA RFE

JULY 10: Mailed RFE back to VSC

JULY 17: VSC has acknowledged receipt of IMBRA RFE

AUGUST 8: VSC Approval of NOA2!!!!! Great Day

SEPTEMBER 19: Interview in US EMBASSY Bucharest - VISA GRANTED

OCTOBER 16: Fly to Moldova

JANUARY 11: Fly home to America with Ana to get married!

JANUARY 16: Married in North Conway, NH

JANUARY 19: Filed for AOS and EAD

JULY 13: Received Green Card and Employment Authorization Card

Stina,

I agree that they do know a petition was filed leading to the current visa application. They've got the file! This is why, for an only petition, the anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it doesn't matter which way the question is answered. But if the question was intended to mean only previous petitions it would include the word 'previous'. Answering 'yes' and identifying the current petition is less ambiguous than answering 'no' when there is in fact a petition.

Remember also, DS-156 is the generic non-immigrant visa application. The significance of this question can vary depending on the type of visa being applied for.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

I guess its really just how I read it. Back then, I guess still being naive about this whole process, I figured they knew what I was filing this DS-156 for so I figured it meant for past petitions.

Edited by Yodrak

Stina,

I agree that they do know a petition was filed leading to the current visa application. They've got the file! This is why, for an only petition, the anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it doesn't matter which way the question is answered.

But if the question was intended to mean only previous petitions it would include the word 'previous'. Remember also, DS-156 is the generic non-immigrant visa application. The significance of this question can vary depending on the type of visa being applied for.

I completley agree with you 100%. Knowing all I know now, I probably would have put yes. But at least in the end, it didnt seem to matter in my case and got approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.