Captain Oates

British Fish and Chips

58 posts in this topic

not seeming to be dumb but that is this - good old fried pan pizza sandwich. dont think we had those in the midlands but sound interesting

Don't think you will get it south of Newcastle. They put chips on a fried pizza, then lots of brown sauce, roll it up like a sandwich. Its soo good.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not seeming to be dumb but that is this - good old fried pan pizza sandwich. dont think we had those in the midlands but sound interesting

Don't think you will get it south of Newcastle. They put chips on a fried pizza, then lots of brown sauce, roll it up like a sandwich. Its soo good.

Holy cholesterol!

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Here is my grandad 3 months before he was killed and thats my dad sat on his knee

Forgive me if you have mentioned it already, but do you happen to know what battle he died in?

Yes it was Oppy Wood near Arras.. I think it was the 3rd battle of the scarpe

It was 3.45am on thursday 3rd May 1917 and they attacked with a full moon behind them (good idea eh ?)

They slogged forward with their rifles while the germans had concrete bunkers with water cooled machine guns.

The wounded were left out in no mans land in blazing hot sun until they died...

I have been there twice and from the plans I got to within 50 yards of the spot for certain...

Not allowed in the actual wood as it is full of unexploded ordnance

No ghosts and no spirits - nothing except unexploded shells everywhere and spoons and forks etc ..

I thought I might bring a nice 6 inch unexploded shell on the car ferry but decided to leave it !

oops i shouldnt say that - Al queda might go and pick it all up !

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Norman French (barratt)

Alan, just curious here. My ex-husband's grandmother (with whom I was very close until her death some years back) was a Barratt. The other spelling of Barratt -- Barrett -- is so much more common that this piqued my interest. I *think* her family was from North Yorkshire. I know that her father was Newton Barratt, who was a food scientist at the turn of the 20th century and is responsible for the dye added to margarine to make it yellow instead of gray! He also developed a strain of apples much like the Orange Pippin that are fantastic.

Totally, totally off topic, sorry.

Off topic again but my mum's great gran was a Barrett, she was from Lancashire (as my mum and all her relatives).

Timeline
Off topic again but my mum's great gran was a Barrett, she was from Lancashire (as my mum and all her relatives).

Barrett Obama would sound good

yes it's french and means a dealer or trader and it got corrupted into someone who argues and talks as in street trading

The Norman French who took over in 1066 owned all the valley where i grew up and they are still there with their big estates and with names like vavasoeur and verity - so the iraqis should watch out coz these invaders hang around 1000 years sometimes and not the 100 that john mccain would like

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
I love the family stories...pants set on fire in ovens, the dude that invented the dye that makes margarine appear more palatable.

I always laugh at this picture...one of my Welsh ancestors...with sheep

GreatGreatGrandpaGriffith.jpg

A Welsh sheep farmer and he's not wearing wellies!! :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I love the family stories...pants set on fire in ovens, the dude that invented the dye that makes margarine appear more palatable.

He's lucky he even has shoes :lol: That bunch was DIRT poor!

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

he is a good looking guy and thats a good looking sheep so it was probably concensual on this occassion

Compared to a bradford singles club on a wet sunday night in november , he is doing ok and i know

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for this! It's Monday and I started yet another diet and I come across a flipping post on Yorkshire fish and chips. Now I'm salivating. I would kill for fish and chips right now. Or 'fish and a firkin' as my brother would always say. 'Firkin lot of chips!'

Park Road fisheries in Bingley is great. Not familiar with the Greengates chippy but anywhere that still uses beef dripping you can't really go wrong. I do like fish from the seaside though. Skin on! Yummy.

I'm Bradford born and bred and I can confirm that Harry Ramsden's is not as it was. I remember being taken there as a kid - it was a real treat - and their fish and chips were second to none. Plus you simply have to have a cup of tea and bread and butter with your Fish and Chips. It's not right without. Nowadays Harry Ramsden's just isn't even quality. What a shame.

Anyway, thanks a firkin lot! I'm starving.

Timeline
Thanks for this! It's Monday and I started yet another diet and I come across a flipping post on Yorkshire fish and chips. Now I'm salivating. I would kill for fish and chips right now. Or 'fish and a firkin' as my brother would always say. 'Firkin lot of chips!'

Park Road fisheries in Bingley is great. Not familiar with the Greengates chippy but anywhere that still uses beef dripping you can't really go wrong. I do like fish from the seaside though. Skin on! Yummy.

I'm Bradford born and bred and I can confirm that Harry Ramsden's is not as it was. I remember being taken there as a kid - it was a real treat - and their fish and chips were second to none. Plus you simply have to have a cup of tea and bread and butter with your Fish and Chips. It's not right without. Nowadays Harry Ramsden's just isn't even quality. What a shame.

Anyway, thanks a firkin lot! I'm starving.

Confirmed - fish and firkin ! that's genuine local lingo...

Bingley was part of my stamping ground too - hello Jane !

My pal got a hot date and she said she would meet him outside the fire station in bingley

After an hour she was a no show and he went home

He didn't know there was a wine bar called the fire station !!!

i don't mind leaving the skin on cod - lets go cave man !

i will be there 17th septemeber so I will top up..

I reckon I can bring some cheshire cheese back as it is 'hard cheese' but it will mean form filling and arguments i bet

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Confirmed - fish and firkin ! that's genuine local lingo...

Bingley was part of my stamping ground too - hello Jane !

My pal got a hot date and she said she would meet him outside the fire station in bingley

After an hour she was a no show and he went home

He didn't know there was a wine bar called the fire station !!!

i don't mind leaving the skin on cod - lets go cave man !

i will be there 17th septemeber so I will top up..

I reckon I can bring some cheshire cheese back as it is 'hard cheese' but it will mean form filling and arguments i bet

The Old Fire Station! Your friend was stood up pretty recently? I think that became a health or community centre before a wine bar because I can recall going there as a toddler for my polio sugar cube. It's been a long while since I frequented Bingley town centre for boozing purposes anyway. My favourites were the Midland and The Old White Horse.

I try to bring Stilton with me everytime I come over - I usually buy one of those crock pots with the cheese inside and cleverly declare it as a Stilton crock pot and worry about it slightly but no one really knows what that means and so I have never been asked about it. I figure I can always play dumb. I even had my bags inspected one time complete with cheese and they didn't care.

Edited by bakofoil

Timeline
The Old Fire Station! Your friend was stood up pretty recently? I think that became a health or community centre before a wine bar because I can recall going there as a toddler for my polio sugar cube. It's been a long while since I frequented Bingley town centre for boozing purposes anyway. My favourites were the Midland and The Old White Horse.

I try to bring Stilton with me everytime I come over - I usually buy one of those crock pots with the cheese inside and cleverly declare it as a Stilton crock pot and worry about it slightly but no one really knows what that means and so I have never been asked about it. I figure I can always play dumb. I even had my bags inspected one time complete with cheese and they didn't care.

I would say that was 5 years ago - the old fire station

I had been single 18 years so I knew all those places...

Threw it all away and ended up married in a washington state desert with only tumbleweed and rattlesnakes and red necks ..

just kidding chucky - er hum

ok i will print off the dept of agriculture thing that says hard cheese is ok and bring it with me under my arm pit manchester/heathrow -- heathrow/seattle -- seattle /the desert - yum yum nothing like a bit of maturing the cheese

Allowed - but more dangerous than pair of nail clippers - i could asphyxiate the pilots with that cheese !

I used to work with a 300lb guy who brought the fish and chips back to the office under his arm pit when it was raining - and the girl he brought them for stuck em in the bin as soon as he left the room !

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.