British Fish and Chips

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Isn't there a place called the Rose or something on Belmont? Never tried it, but I know some people who love it

The Melrose perhaps? It's like a little old skool greasy spoon diner. I've never ate there, but I've heard it is comparable to Clark's or The Golden Nugget.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
A little research has revealed that it was the Rose & Crown and is now closed!

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Memoriam/Rose/Rose.htm

Ok...it changed to the Bridget O'Neill's a few years before I moved. Yeah I've been there a few times...not only did I live a few blocks from there on Clark but I had a friend who lived in the building across the street and we'd go there for the odd pint.

wtf-picard.jpg

My fiancee says there is no difference between English chips and American ones (not the ones you find at places like McDonalds etc). He's had them in England and says they're pretty much the same.

I saw this thread.

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My fiancee says there is no difference between English chips and American ones (not the ones you find at places like McDonalds etc). He's had them in England and says they're pretty much the same.

I saw this thread.

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

YOUR FIANCEE IS LOOPY!

I laughed so much! and I KNOW the fish and chip shop you refer to.....been there myself many times...

There is a difference between the chips - the american nearest version to our chips are what they refer to as Jojo's ....steak chips i think we would call them.....

I have yet to be served fish and chips that resemble anything like what we are use to in the UK ....a full fillet of fish (minus head) - battered in a flour,milk and egg mixture- then deep fried traditionally in lard.... I did manage to get myself a bottle of malt vinegar from fred meyers.

• 1 month later...

Irish Rover Too in La Grange Kentucky does nice fish and chips. I got a deep fat fryer from Walmart some cod fillets and beer batter and made my own. I was lucky enough to find a tin of Mushy Peas in Meijers. I do miss my chinesse takeaway in England. Duck green pepper and black bean sauce is my fav.

Timeline

Nicky and I finally found a chippy-esque place in Chicago. It's in the weirdest of places too...it's "in da hood" and not someplace I'd go late at night.

The Fish Keg

It's not exact, but according to Nicky on a 100 scale (100 being true Brit style FNC) they are about an 85. Only thing is you have to bring your own malt vinegar. But like a true chippy this place is completely take away...they have a couple picnic tables in a dodgy looking lot next door, but no place to sit inside.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

another thing is that briitish fish and chips are not the same all over britain.

In lancashire they hardly exist and they are just soggy and sold from chinese restaurants using the same oil as the spring rolls

on the east coast in the north they have skin on

In the south they are mostly cod

The best in the world are Greengates in Bradford, Yorkshire - which are haddock done in beef dripping with plain batter

I will be there in 1 week for a week and I intend to have them EVERY day !

Fish shop vinegar is unmalted, supermarket vinegar is malted

Some supermarkets advertise 'unmalted vinegar fish shop style' eg morrisons

American fish and chips are the worst in the world being frozen breaded triangles

I went to a 'british fish and chip shop' here in washington state and almost threw up - it was disgusting

They had a British Union flag flying outside and it was all Britishified - but same old same old junk

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
another thing is that briitish fish and chips are not the same all over britain.

In lancashire they hardly exist and they are just soggy and sold from chinese restaurants using the same oil as the spring rolls

The best in the world are Greengates in Bradford, Yorkshire - which are haddock done in beef dripping with plain batter

American fish and chips are the worst in the world being frozen breaded triangles

I went to a 'british fish and chip shop' here in washington state and almost threw up - it was disgusting

They had a British Union flag flying outside and it was all Britishified - but same old same old junk

I have to say for the most part I've never encountered the "triangles" outside of school lunches. The pubs generally do a good job of getting more traditional type fish...then again most pubs are owned by expats!

Up where Nicky is from (north Northumberland) it is quite good, as he comes from a coastal town and the fish is ultra-fresh. Midwest living doesn't lend to having terribly fresh fish unless you want to pay lots of money at a nicer restaurant. But the Fish Keg was relatively fresh and inexpensive for the quality.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

I have to say for the most part I've never encountered the "triangles" outside of school lunches. The pubs generally do a good job of getting more traditional type fish...then again most pubs are owned by expats!

Up where Nicky is from (north Northumberland) it is quite good, as he comes from a coastal town and the fish is ultra-fresh. Midwest living doesn't lend to having terribly fresh fish unless you want to pay lots of money at a nicer restaurant. But the Fish Keg was relatively fresh and inexpensive for the quality.

i lived in Milwaukee for a year on and off and never saw anything better than edible

No way can you get fresh haddock or even cod in the mid west - its a 4 hour flight due east of here

But the secret is in the dripping and they just don't do it

Scarborough/whitby/nothumberland as it is stright out of the north sea or has been kept on ice (not frozen) from icelandic waters and is excellent as you say - but they do leave the skin on at the seaside towns and leave the bones in too very often

I once worked in Leeds and had fish and chips every lunch for 18 months !

I like em

i grew up 800 yards from harry ramsden's the biggest f &c shop in the world when it was maginificent

I paid 1 shilling and 10pence when every other shop was one and tuppence

I wouldn't eat em for free now they are a multinational and its awful - the price does not matter - total junk

My American wife is a huge fan of Yorkshire fish and chips

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

i lived in Milwaukee for a year on and off and never saw anything better than edible

No way can you get fresh haddock or even cod in the mid west - its a 4 hour flight due east of here

Scarborough/whitby/nothumberland as it is stright out of the north sea or has been kept on ice (not frozen) from icelandic waters and is excellent as you say - but they do leave the skin on at the seaside towns and leave the bones in too very often

I like em

i grew up 800 yards from harry ramsden's the biggest f &c shop in the world when it was maginificent

I wouldn't eat em for free now they are a multinational and its awful - the price does not matter - total junk

I don't think I've come across the fish with the skin on but once. But the chippy we usually go to in Berwick has a wide variety...maybe Nicky will jump online and add his 2 pence.

My paternal grandmother is from Beverly...I would imagine the fish and chips would be excellent there.

Well Milwaukee...I'm sure all you ever saw for fish there was carp or catfish!

I like em

I don't think I've come across the fish with the skin on but once. But the chippy we usually go to in Berwick has a wide variety...maybe Nicky will jump online and add his 2 pence.

My paternal grandmother is from Beverly...I would imagine the fish and chips would be excellent there.

I like em

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

Beverley not Beverly - that's hill billies !

the suffix 'ley' denotes a field or clearing in sanglo saxon

So Beverley was 'Beaver field'

Otley - Otter field

Batley - the birthplace of Robert Palmer (addicted to love) --- Batfield

My last house was at Apperley - apple field

'Don' is old celtic British for 'hill' - the language that exists more than 2000 years ago before the Romans arrived

So Americans who talk about tennis at 'Wimbleton' (90%), only get it wrong because they dont know the origins of the language...

Near where I lived I could see 3 hills not far off

Rawdon

Baildon

Yeadon

The suffix 'by' is viking for 'town' - this word is current in modern danish as are most yorkshire words like 'lug' for 'ear' and 'laking' (playing) - which most people think are just slang

Within 10 miles of where I lived was the town of Huby (Hugh's town) and this was in the ancient Danish lands - the Danelaw

From there to the east coast there are literally hundreds of town names ending in 'by'

- whitby, selby, Derby etc

But where I lived a few miles away and to the west and south there was a line on the map and zero town names ending in 'by' as this was saxon land

Here endeth the language history lesson - just an aside

My ancestors came from Hereford in the Midlands (mainly welsh/saxon), and the northern yorkshire dales (Danish), Norman French (barratt), and a guy called Michael Casson a fugitive sheep thief from Dublin who's nephew started the first topless bar in the UK... and they call the USA a melting pot !

what this has to do with fish and chips escapes me

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.