roscove

Lawyer

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

what type of complications are they? they might not be that serious and just general questions that might be able to be answered here.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do not feel it's necessary with an immigration attorney to find a guy next door, I live in central WI and found a good firm in Cincinnati. But I really hate to recommend a doctor or an attorney to anyone, while they may have served me well, did a terrible job with my friends or relatives. This firm just happened to be the firm that handled all the immigration services for the American base company my wife was working for, and she already met their attorney's in the past. They gave us excellent service at an extremely reasonable fee. But may not well happen with an outsider.

One sign of an attorney is to walk away, matter of fact, run, if he wants you to sign a contract even before he knows what your case is about. A good attorney will quote you a flat fee if he really understands your case, I do not even pay attention to the hourly rate. There are literally thousands of immigration attorney's that can be found on the internet or in your yellow pages, but I feel that finding a good attorney is tantamount to finding a needle in a haystack. A really great attorney is one that says, you don't even need an attorney, all you have to do is this or that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

One tip, if you need a lawyer, find out who will be handling your case. In many law offices, you may initially meet with a lawyer, but that lawyer turns the case over to a "baby lawyer" without you knowing it. In many cases it works out fine, but I believe a client needs to know upfront and should be able to contact the lawyer they hire, if they should feel the need. Find this out before you sign anything. Also, the previous post was correct about signing a contract only after they know the details of your case.

If you have done things legally, you don't need a lawyer to get through this process. Visa Journey has a wealth of info to help you out. However, if you have made poor choices in the past, you may need a lawyer to deal with the consequences. Also, you said you need advise, his advise won't be free, but he should tell you what you can do on your own verses what he can do if you hire him.

Good luck.

02/06/08 N-400 filed

02/08/08 N-400 received

02/12/08 check cashed

03/08/08 NOA

03/21/08 Fingerprint

05/29/08 Interview - passed - told will be scheduled for June 25th Oath

07/14/08 Info Pass - told everything is good, wait for Oath letter

07/16/08 Received notice requesting more info(want tax transcripts)

09/24/08 Oath Ceremony - Postponed - thanks to Hurricane Ike

10/29/08 Oath Ceremony

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. Since you asked here is my situation. I am basically confused about the amount of days outside the US questions and trips taken. Here is why.

I am applying for my citizenship based on receiving my green card based on marriage to my US citizen wife. We were living in Germany during the time we received my green card and then moved to the US. However, prior to moving to Germany we were living in the US. I was living there on an L1 visa (inter company transfer visa). So I have lived in the US in the past five years twice with a year and a half in between in Germany. Further, we got married while I was in Germany and my wife was still in the US so while initially living in Germany I traveled back to the US a few times on business trips and also to get married.

so even though I am applying using the three year rule the question asks for five years of travel and days outside the US information and I have no idea what to answer since I lived there for some of it and should I include those times or what. To be a bit more clear here is my time line.

1998 to May 2004. Lived in the US on an L1 visa

May 2004. Moved to Germany

Traveled to US in October 2004 and got married to my now wife. She traveled back to Germany with me.

October 2005: Moved back to USA on my approved CR-1 visa.

Now applying for my citizenship.

I have seen different opinions on this site about how to answer questions on the 3 year versus 5 year travel information so that is why I do not know how to answer based on the above time lines.

Note, I have done the entire process so far without a lawyer and would be happy to continue but am not sure how.

Thanks,

Dave

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello,

Can anyone in the Los Angeles area recommend an immigration lawyer they have used for their citizenship application? I have some complications that I need advice on.

Thanks.

Dave

You can visit this website:www.kaflaw.com, I used their services although I am not promoting them at all.You can ask them immigration questions for free. Although I would prefer applying without an attorney. Check your passport and list down all the dates you mentioned.Are you currently in the US? It seems like from the 5yrs point, you were out for 1yr & 5 months and the 3yrs 7 months were US residency based on the May 2004 marriage in the US...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Hello,

Can anyone in the Los Angeles area recommend an immigration lawyer they have used for their citizenship application? I have some complications that I need advice on.

Thanks.

Dave

Didn't actually use his services, but Ron Gotcher (of Sherman Oaks) is generally considered excellent.

Gotcher Law

Also, Discussion Forum, Immigration-Information

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. Since you asked here is my situation. I am basically confused about the amount of days outside the US questions and trips taken. Here is why.

I am applying for my citizenship based on receiving my green card based on marriage to my US citizen wife. We were living in Germany during the time we received my green card and then moved to the US. However, prior to moving to Germany we were living in the US. I was living there on an L1 visa (inter company transfer visa). So I have lived in the US in the past five years twice with a year and a half in between in Germany. Further, we got married while I was in Germany and my wife was still in the US so while initially living in Germany I traveled back to the US a few times on business trips and also to get married.

so even though I am applying using the three year rule the question asks for five years of travel and days outside the US information and I have no idea what to answer since I lived there for some of it and should I include those times or what. To be a bit more clear here is my time line.

1998 to May 2004. Lived in the US on an L1 visa

May 2004. Moved to Germany

Traveled to US in October 2004 and got married to my now wife. She traveled back to Germany with me.

October 2005: Moved back to USA on my approved CR-1 visa.

Now applying for my citizenship.

I have seen different opinions on this site about how to answer questions on the 3 year versus 5 year travel information so that is why I do not know how to answer based on the above time lines.

Note, I have done the entire process so far without a lawyer and would be happy to continue but am not sure how.

Thanks,

Dave

hello u dont need a lawyer do it urself whats a lawyer gona do for u? fill out an easy application and charge u a grand, what advice is he gona give u that u cant take from some one else. lawyers dont do crapo and they always give u the wrong advice or make simple things sound complex so u pay them. i have taken trips outside the usa many times and long ones..at the interview ur on ur own no lawyer can do anything for u its the IO who will say yes or no so 4get the lawyer rest up to u.

I would agree that you don't need a lawyer for this situtaion. People on here have put both there time outside the states for just the three years and also for the 5 years. Obviously the ones who put there time for the 5 years, sometimes exceed the allowable amount. I am not sure how closely they look at this number but you can always include and explanation of it. I think what they are really looking at is Part 7c (the trips you made after you got your GC). Either way I would just submit with your application the additional information. But I am not a lawyer but I think it would be a waste of money in this instance to go to one. Plus typically from what I have heard if they have questions that need to be cleared up the (usually not always) ask for additional information.

Good luck

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.