60 posts in this topic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
guys,

What is the impact on application for citizrnshi[p based on marriage for soemeone who file his taxes as single for last three year?

will IO ask about them ? is joint filing required for married couple?

please advise

Thanks

Why did you file single? Filing married joint or married separate were your appropriate choices.... You still can amend.....

YMMV

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

US Tax Code requires that a married couple either file jointly or married filing separately. You are both in violation of the law....dont plan on getting citizenship until you resolve this matter, and they will know in about 5 minutes.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Timeline
US Tax Code requires that a married couple either file jointly or married filing separately. You are both in violation of the law....dont plan on getting citizenship until you resolve this matter, and they will know in about 5 minutes.

I think , filed as Head of Household for 2 and singel on 1, not sure.

But will double check.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

But will double check.

That's not good. You will need to contact IRS immediately to amend your filing status. They might have some penalties or changes in rates. You might have to pay differently. Head of Household is definitely not for someone who is married - have to be like a single parent for that one.

But will double check.

That's not good. You will need to contact IRS immediately to amend your filing status. They might have some penalties or changes in rates. You might have to pay differently. Head of Household is definitely not for someone who is married - have to be like a single parent for that one.

I will go ahead and do so.

However what is I a m unable to get all of these cleared up by my interview. Will it likelu come up in the interview or are they looking into tax before etc...

Timeline

But will double check.

However what is I a m unable to get all of these cleared up by my interview. Will it likelu come up in the interview or are they looking into tax before etc...

When is your interview? And if not...delay, delay, delay.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Wouldnt surprize me one bit if he IRS owes you money after you amend your filings. Married tax rates are much lower than filing single or HOH.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

But will double check.

When is your interview? And if not...delay, delay, delay.

Myy interview is next week. So probably will not be able to get this figure out by then.

I will be bringing my Daughter BC, Selective Service Registration, Wife's BC with me just in case- with passpor,t , GC and prayers...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

But will double check.

Believe that filing singly is an assumption that could also mean filing separately and can't believe the IRS would let this pass for the last three years especially if filing as head of household. I did our taxes both ways and definitely to our advantage to file jointly, the name of the game is to pay the least amount of taxes as possible. But if you did file separately, and that is perfectly legal, why not just submit both of your forms? The address should be the same on each form, if it isn't, that may be a problem, a big problem.

Many couples maintain separate finances, ha, in the case of both my wife and myself, we had to as our ex spouses were very irresponsible in paying bills and would blow money faster than you could earn it. It's wonderful having a mate that you can trust with joint savings and checking accounts and filing a joint return was definitely to our tax advantage. If we got more of our tax dollar back, would have filed separate returns.

I suppose if you are asked why you filed separate returns, would only respond, you love this country so much, you wanted to pay more taxes. LOL, can't argue with that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My sister and brother-in-law had this exact problem and yes USCIS will have a big problem with it for citizenship. Go to a CPA right away and file ammended taxes as well as pay any penalties or set up payments. You will have to have this all done before they approve you. You could try to reschedule if at all possible. My brother-in-law went to the interview and they gave him all kinds of problems. They gave him until Aug 6th to correct the problem and that is when he has to go back with proof. Hopefully he will be approved then?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

But will double check.

HOH is only an appropriate choice (by special exemption) if your spouse was a non-resident alien for tax purposes. Once she got her green card, then that option vanished.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
Myy interview is next week. So probably will not be able to get this figure out by then.

I will be bringing my Daughter BC, Selective Service Registration, Wife's BC with me just in case- with passpor,t , GC and prayers...

Sorry cookie, but prayers are not going to work in this situation. Contact USCIS and tell them you need to delay your interview - there is information about how to do this on your interview letter. Get your tax pieces in order and then contact them to let them reschedule you. You are not the first one who has had to reschedule, but you don't want to go in there with this issue in front of you.

Edited by Staashi

My sister and brother-in-law had this exact problem and yes USCIS will have a big problem with it for citizenship. Go to a CPA right away and file ammended taxes as well as pay any penalties or set up payments. You will have to have this all done before they approve you. You could try to reschedule if at all possible. My brother-in-law went to the interview and they gave him all kinds of problems. They gave him until Aug 6th to correct the problem and that is when he has to go back with proof. Hopefully he will be approved then?

What if I go to the interview without my tax trasncript, so far I have not been requested to provide them.

For your brother how did this come up. Can you please let me know.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What if I go to the interview without my tax trasncript, so far I have not been requested to provide them.

For your brother how did this come up. Can you please let me know.

I assumed they required the last 3 years of tax returns for the interview? Whatever reason they saw that he filed single. He has been in the US for 25 years with his greencard. If it is not anywhere on the list of things you need to provide for the interview then maybe it won't be a problem but make sure 100% before you show up without them. I guess they could do everything and then ask you to provide them later before they can approve you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.