Rodney n.

How many trips are enough?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I know this may have been discussed some, but this is very interesting too me. My lawyer and many others suggest this is one tool that the CO can use against you if they want too. I personally only have made 1 trip to VN, but have known my fiancée for about a one and a half years. I have wondered how big an impact this has if all your paper work is in order. how many trips is enough? 1, 2, or 10? anyone have any thoughts?

Rodney

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I know this may have been discussed some, but this is very interesting too me. My lawyer and many others suggest this is one tool that the CO can use against you if they want too. I personally only have made 1 trip to VN, but have known my fiancée for about a one and a half years. I have wondered how big an impact this has if all your paper work is in order. how many trips is enough? 1, 2, or 10? anyone have any thoughts?

Rodney

There is no one magic number.... The decision is based on the totality of all the evidence submitted. I think you will find that people's actual experience will run the gamut.

YMMV

Timeline

I made three trips and had know my fiancee over two years when we had our unsuccessful interview. So I would say fewer trips hurt you (like only 1) but more don't help. More trips just cross off one item they like to pin excuses on.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I had 3 trips before the interview. Our case was sent back. Tuyen has a number of friends, who's case have been returned to the US. Even though their SO have made many trips and are native tieng Viet spreakers. As fwaguy says, it the totality of evidence. Otherwise a marriage cert would be enough.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Just an unbiased obervation from a fellow VJer. Seems Vietnam and a few other countries are on the "special" list for the U.S. agencies. So, you need to be prepared. That's just how the cookie crumbles. "We" know better, because we are all in the same shoes as you, but the Government couldn't care less. I am in a supposedly "easy" country and we are getting all kinds of flak. Best of luck to you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have nothing to add really, except to put a positive spin on it. We all know about people who made several trips who didn't make it on the first try, but we must also remember some of the people who visited only once, and were successful on the first try.

Timeline

I think this just supports the notion that the consulate has no rhyme or reason to their decisions. my lawyer said you use to be able to see a pattern from the consulate on what they are really looking for, but he said now it is very hard to predict because it just depends on the CO. One thing he said he noticed was if your divorce was pretty recent they asked a lot about your ex a lot. but he has had some who have made multiple trips and most only make 1 or 2 trips, but still pass. guess it just depends on evidence and paperwork and if your fiancée can answer enough questions correctly.

rodney

Timeline

I made 2 trips, the first was 2 weeks, the second was 4 weeks.

We kept all boarding passes, ticket purchases, etc. We brought quite a bit of evidence to the interview including fairly regular handwritten letters (average of once every 2 weeks), emails (pretty much daily), some chat logs, receipts of sending money, and quite a few pictures.

We received a green slip at the first interview requesting more information & the correct police certificate. Once we brought that back, we received the visa.

The number of trips is just part of the overall picture of the relationship. Unfortunately, you could have a mountain of evidence, but if there is a slip-up or inconsistency at the interview, it could seriously damage your case. Certain COs seem to pounce on any excuse to delay/deny. My fiancee said her interviewer was a bit harsh and she was quite intimidated, but she just stuck it out.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's not the number of trips that count, but the total aggregate sum of all submitted evidence that clearly defines to them (consulate) that your case meets their requirements

There are cases where people have only made (1) trip, but if you look closely, other evidence made up for the lack of travel.

ME has mentioned that more than (1) trip is beneficial to your case and I agree.

In my opinion, if you want to risk only (1) trip, I would work very hard to make up for it with other evidence, such as handwritten letters, cards, communication with parents (both sides), excellent English speaking ability of the VN fiance(e) and the ability of the VN fiance(e) to know about you, your life and history without pause.

Also, I would recommend that you have an engagement ceremony on your (1) and only trip with some paper-trail of history of courtship showing the planning, preparation up to the event.

I know it sounds difficult, but you have to look at it from a CO's point of view and play devil's advocate with yourself.

by the way, I made (4) trips, and had an excellent evidence package, but limited English ability with my fiancee caused difficulties at interview, compounded by different responses to same repeated question, (red flag) was put in AP and finally got pink 50+ days later.

lessons learned:

(1) improve fiance(e) English skills and, help her memorize and know everything about you, so she can answer with no problem or hesitation

(2) (for divorced filers) submit all divorce decrees and ex-spouse address, info in advance so CO will not blue-slip you later with RFE.

R/

-Guy&Hoa

Timeline

I was lucky enough to get the heads up on a lot of things because i knew people who had went through the process. with my I-129, my lawyer sent copies of all divorce decrees, a few photos, time line, boarding passes, copy of tickets, and check used to pay for them. I hope it makes it easier when my fiancée goes to her interview and gives them the originals of everything such as, birth certificates, divorce decrees , and other things they ask for. i only had a chance to make one trip and was planning on going for her interview, but i am a manager for a national pharmacy and we had another manager go on maternity leave so i had to pick up the slack. :( we too have had written letters( i wrote about 3 a week), cards, chat logs, phone bills, text messages( main way we communicate besides phone), records of money i sent for English classes and other things. we also will provide list of relatives in us, including names addresses, birthdays, and relationship too my fiancée.Her English is pretty good , but not the best. we are lucky in the fact that she can answer anything about me and even my ex wifes birthday, when i was married , and divorced( almost 3 years ago). my lawyer told me usually they ask about divorce if it has been pretty recent, but we prepared like they will ask about it. she saw a lawyer in HCMC also, he helped her organize her paperwork and sh will come back a few days before her interview and have a mock type interview to try and prepare her for the questioning. i think he scared her about using a translator also. she wanted to hear the question in Vietnamese and then answer in English, but maybe it is best if she listens and answers in English.

Rodney

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

From what i have been reading it is better if she does not use a translator because things get messed up in translation.Always remember, if she doesnt understand the question, ask them to explain it.She has that right.

I am not sure there is any magic formula for HCM, just prepare as best you can and pray it all works out for the best.

Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.