Gage

Girlfriend given 221G at visa interview - confused

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This forum seems to be mostly for immigration visa questions, but I think my question might have some relevance even though it is about a B-2 tourist visa. My girlfriend recently had her interview at the US Consulate for her B-2 application (Moscow). She said the interview only lasted barely 5 minutes, then the Consular officer told her "that due to part 221(g)," she had to submit a DS-157 supplemental application. She has submitted this paperwork already, but was told it would take a minimum of 3 weeks for the additional "administrative process" to find out if her visa was approved. They kept her passport, which the people standing near her was a good sign, because if they intended to automatically refuse her, they would have just given it back to her.

So what I'm asking is; does this request for further information mean that she's still got a good chance of approval? The problem is that her tickets to come here are right near that 3 week window, so I don't know if it's possible it could take a shorter period of time, or if we should consider changing her tickets to a later date now. Any advice?

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

This forum seems to be mostly for immigration visa questions, but I think my question might have some relevance even though it is about a B-2 tourist visa. My girlfriend recently had her interview at the US Consulate for her B-2 application (Moscow). She said the interview only lasted barely 5 minutes, then the Consular officer told her "that due to part 221(g)," she had to submit a DS-157 supplemental application. She has submitted this paperwork already, but was told it would take a minimum of 3 weeks for the additional "administrative process" to find out if her visa was approved. They kept her passport, which the people standing near her was a good sign, because if they intended to automatically refuse her, they would have just given it back to her.

So what I'm asking is; does this request for further information mean that she's still got a good chance of approval? The problem is that her tickets to come here are right near that 3 week window, so I don't know if it's possible it could take a shorter period of time, or if we should consider changing her tickets to a later date now. Any advice?

Sounds like she may be OK. Have her get what they asked for to them ASAP. Hard to say if she'll get her visa in time for scheduled flight.

Bad idea getting tickets to fly before visa is in hand. Especially a tourist visa.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for the reply, Haole. I'm not too worried about the tickets, they are easily changed without penalty. But just knowing whether to go through the hassle of making the change or not is what has me frustrated.

Edited by Gage

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

Haole was right she has a Big chance to get it. When i applied for a B-2 visa i was denied and the consul gave back my passport right after. Just tell your GF comply what the consul asked as soon as she can. Keep on praying.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.