boohbah

Can the USC call the embassy?

18 posts in this topic

I assumed that since the caller has to pay for the call, that anyone could do it.

My fiance lost his phone & his job (because he opened his mouth about visas). So I was going to call for him since he needs to hang on to every penny for his medical, etc. :hehe:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I assumed that since the caller has to pay for the call, that anyone could do it.

My fiance lost his phone & his job (because he opened his mouth about visas). So I was going to call for him since he needs to hang on to every penny for his medical, etc. :hehe:

To ring the London Embassy from the US you need to dial 1-866-382-3589 and this costs a flat-rate fee of $16.00 which you can pay by credit card. More info here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/...assistance.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

What do you need to call the embassy for? You could try calling the Dept of State instead. It's just the price of a call to washington dc i think, and they have most of the info that the embassy would have. It's (202) 663 1225, press 1, then 0 for an operator. You should have your case number at the ready.

The UK Wiki

What do you need to call the embassy for? You could try calling the Dept of State instead. It's just the price of a call to washington dc i think, and they have most of the info that the embassy would have. It's (202) 663 1225, press 1, then 0 for an operator. You should have your case number at the ready.

I need to inform them of his new mailing address. The NVC guy wouldn't change the address & said to wait until it gets to the embassy. :s

Timeline

I would do as Poiteen says and call the State Department first. They have access to the same information the Embassy has. If they can change the address all well and good and you have saved quite a bit of money. If they can't help all you have lost is the time involved in the call.

If the case papers haven't got to the Embassy yet or only just arrived and the DoS can't change the address (if the latter see if the DoS can give you the London case number) perhaps a letter sent recorded delivery by your fiance might be better that paying $16 for a phone call.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I would do as Poiteen says and call the State Department first. They have access to the same information the Embassy has. If they can change the address all well and good and you have saved quite a bit of money. If they can't help all you have lost is the time involved in the call.

If the case papers haven't got to the Embassy yet or only just arrived and the DoS can't change the address (if the latter see if the DoS can give you the London case number) perhaps a letter sent recorded delivery by your fiance might be better that paying $16 for a phone call.

So the DoS will know the embassy has received it? I am going to call them first thing Monday morning & see what they can do. Someone on here told me to tell NVC AND the embassy about the address, just to be safe. Also, I wasn't sure how quick the embassy is about sending out the packet 3 & am afraid that they will say "Sorry, we've already sent it out, you will have to wait for it to return to us before we can send to the new address.". >:o

My fiance's old flat building is condemned now, so I have these paranoia feelings that the mail guy wont know any better & drop the packet in there...and the embassy will tell us to wait 30 days. :o lol

Timeline
So the DoS will know the embassy has received it?

The Embassy enters everything to do with your case onto a computer, as does NVC and anyone else who touches it. The DoS have the same system and can see what is being done with your case.

They will be able to tell if the Embassy has booked the file in, has sent out or not packet 3 and have been able to tell people (myself included) the interview date the Embassy has assigned before the applicant has received notification from the Embassy.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

So I called the DoS early monday morning. The loperator told me to give it a week, before I call them to see if the embassy got it. If I have read other peoples' experiences correctly, they usually send out the packet 3 right away (3-5 days), no?

I don't know if I should keep phoning them everyday or what? It won't hurt anything, would it?

The first lady I spoke to was a big rough in the conversation. She just told me blah blah blah, the beneficiary has to do it when the embassy gets it blah blah blah. She gave me the number to give him, so he can call to see what he's supposed to do. I had forgotten to ask her about if they could tell when the petition gets received. So I called back again & got someone else...she had some problems with our case number, but it eventually came up...she's the one who said to wait a week. But NVC said it was sent on the 9th, so I am assuming that the embassy will get it pretty soon (if they hadn't gotten it already). I did that DHL tracking thing & if it's the right package...my petition should of been received earlier today, I guess.

My fiance tried to call, upon the suggestion of the first operator...but then the number was all "NONONO" because his mobile network doesn't support the call. All his friends have mobiles...so I guess I am stuck paying the call fee. lol ...

I hope the DoS will tell me when the embassy does receive it...don't wanna pay $16 to call & find out they didn't get it yet!

I can't wait for this to be over.

P.S. lol @ loperator.

Edited by boohbah

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

have you tried emailing? You should at least give it a go, make sure to put your Case number in the subject line, and mark it clearly like - Address change, ongoing immigrant visa application, or something like that.

You will get an autoreply saying that your 'email has been deleted, and you won't get a response'. It hasn't been deleted, but it's been hit and miss with people getting responses. The only sure way, you know they will pay attention, is to fork out the cash, and call the extortion number. They give you a code which triggers a different autoreply. And your email should be dealt with. Although even with the code, it often takes several days. They don't seem to do address changes over the phone.

HOWEVER, if I was you, this is what I would do:

I would email them without bothering to get the code. The packet 3, is highly replaceable. Then I would simply tell your fiance to print out the scanned checklist, and download the forms, give it a few days and send them in, with a covering letter explaing, again, his change of address.

And most importantly, no stress, k?

The UK Wiki

they usually send out the packet 3 right away (3-5 days), no?

Took them about two weeks to send my P3.

Opps that was me signed into my wife's username! :lol:

Goodluck with the P3 stuff btw boohbah. I found the waiting for that to arrive the hardest part of the whole process.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

After I read your post, I took it a little easy today..then I went ahead & called DoS again half hour ago for the hell of it...the embassy got our documents & already sent out packet 3 yesterday! What the hey, I called yesterday & they had no record of anything. That was fast! So I called the embassy & didn't have to pay $16 for the call! Because we have to email the address change. So they gave me a code for the email & everything. I told my fiance to head off to the post office in the morning, to see if they can hold his mail from his old address by any chance. Just in case!

Edited by boohbah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.