ShadMot

Sex Offender Applying for K1

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
There is another person who I was in contact with going through this process but I haven't heard from him since august. USCIS had sent him for biometrics, evaluations with therapists and for polygraphs at that time.

I just wanted to let you all know I checked on the persons petition this morning and he was approved. So people can be approved who fall under the AWA . This was a case of consensual sex with a minor. (16)

I remember being 18 and having a 17 yr old girlfriend. I am not entirely without sympathy to your plight. On the other hand if the AWA prevents one child from being molested then I am in favor. A few years ago a man in New Hampshire named Harold Baird petitioned for a woman and her five year old daughter in China. Unknown to the woman the man was a convicted child molester. A few months after she arrived in the US she caught her husband molesting her daughter. He is back in prison now. Her and her daughter had a very rough time of it, living in womens shelters and having to pull herself up by her own boot straps. From just this one case I can see a need to prevent this from happening again. One can say "I'm not putting this woman in danger, she doesn't even have children". The couple could have children of their own later on. Child molesters have a high recidivism rate and are unlikely to be cured of their mental illness. Perhaps the law needs some tweaking but I still think it is better than no laws at all.

Edited by warpedbored

Carl: Portland Oregon, USA / Bing: Nanning, Guangxi, China

filed I-129 at NSC 05/02/03...NOA-1 05/05/03...NOA 2 11/07/03...Cleared NVC 12/05/03...P-3 received 1/15/04...P-4 03/03/04...Interview 04/13/04...blue slip issued 04/13/04...go to china to overcome 04/23/04 submit overcome 04/28/04...visa approved 04/29/04...Married 06/01/04...Applied for Bing's SSN 07/15/04...SSN received 07/19/04...Filed AOS & received EAD 07/28/04...AOS interview 10/19/04....Welcome to America letter 11/1/04...Green Card arrives 11/06/04...Sent in I-751 to remove green card conditions 10/02/06...Received NOA for I-751 10/23/06... Card production ordered 5/10/07...Approval notice sent 5/16/07 ... Ten year green card arrived 5/17/07... mailed application for citizenship 01/29/08... NOA for N-400 recieved 02/13/08...Biometrics letter 02/15/08...NOA for citizenship interview arrived 05/23/08...Citizenship test 07/09/08...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
There is another person who I was in contact with going through this process but I haven't heard from him since august. USCIS had sent him for biometrics, evaluations with therapists and for polygraphs at that time.

I just wanted to let you all know I checked on the persons petition this morning and he was approved. So people can be approved who fall under the AWA . This was a case of consensual sex with a minor. (16)

I just rechecked the petition and the one I entered in the uscis site was my brothers petition. The other petition for the sex offender is still pending. Sorry about that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I remember being 18 and having a 17 yr old girlfriend. I am not entirely without sympathy to your plight. On the other hand if the AWA prevents one child from being molested then I am in favor. A few years ago a man in New Hampshire named Harold Baird petitioned for a woman and her five year old daughter in China. Unknown to the woman the man was a convicted child molester. A few months after she arrived in the US she caught her husband molesting her daughter. He is back in prison now. Her and her daughter had a very rough time of it, living in womens shelters and having to pull herself up by her own boot straps. From just this one case I can see a need to prevent this from happening again. One can say "I'm not putting this woman in danger, she doesn't even have children". The couple could have children of their own later on. Child molesters have a high recidivism rate and are unlikely to be cured of their mental illness. Perhaps the law needs some tweaking but I still think it is better than no laws at all.

I still say there is a BIG difference between two young people having consensual sex and someone doing things to an unwilling person (ESPECIALLY an unwilling child; especially the larger the age difference, when the abuser has a position of authority over the victim, etc). I really think there should be separate categories for the two separate types of situations.

Just in case anyone is thinking I'm trying to defend myself, I was never on either end of an underage relationship.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Other Country: Equatorial Guinea
Timeline

wow! this is the only posting i have found that actually goes beyond the filing of the petition and the usual "wait" responses. i have personally done my biometrics earlier this year but... if you can let me know who this "person" is i would appreciate it. perhaps his case is further ahead then all of ours and it will be beneficial to know his status. thank you, please respond... D

Filed: Other Country: Equatorial Guinea
Timeline

wow! this is the only posting i have found that actually goes beyond the filing of the petition and the usual "wait" responses. i have personally done my biometrics earlier this year but... if you can let me know who this "person" is i would appreciate it. perhaps his case is further ahead then all of ours and it will be beneficial to know his status. thank you, please respond... D

i am a convicted Sex Offender ( position of trust... ) that has filed an I129F petition (08/2007) and i have yet to be approved/denied. earlier this year i went for Biometrics but every time i contact the uscis i get the usual " wait...45days, 6 months... " reply. i am considering all avenues to get a favorable response to my petition and will be glad to discuss your ideas and plans.

i will state here and now that breaking the law is wrong and having sexual contact with persons who are not able to legally consent is wrong. i also realize that there is always cause and effect, you break the law then you must pay for the crime! there is also a considerable social taboo regarding Sex Offenders, especially those involving rape and/or underage pers ons, that has become the scarlet letter of the day. now i could go into all the ramifications of this issue but let me focus on this idea, that once you are convicted of a crime, serve your sentence and satisfy the courts decisions, you are not in jeopardy of being convicted of that same crime again. however, we all know that Sex Offenders are the scapegoats of the day and that this is a very clouded issue to deal with. if you are a violent predator, you continue to act out and hurt others making more and more victims and you willingly break the law then it stands to reason that you will/deserve to be punished in this life and the after life. with this all said my point is that if i have paid my debt to society then why does our federal goverment feel the need or have the right to decide whom i will choose as my wife? who has ultimately given this power to the uscis or secretary of homeland security? this is still America! we must stand up for our rights or we may loose them...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I am sure your petition is in the hands of some higher-up review committee that has a big backlog. The situation is that Americans tend to think that crimes like yours will be repeated. If your criminal record is otherwise clean, and this conviction was not fairly recent, they will give you the benefit of the doubt (at least I hope so) and will make sure that your fiancee knows all the details.

Under U.S. law, the OP was convicted as a child molester. For whatever reasons, the government did not provide any relief for those in situations like his, i.e., consensual sex with an underage person. We might disagree with the law, but there it is. What happened that led to the OP's being arrested and charged? How did the police learn about it?

You'd be surprised. An upset parent can lead to charges that cannot be un-done. Thank god, my mom had enough kids before me to figure out that, yeah, I'm probably having sex but it's okay. ;)

What always bugs me is that age of consent and the laws for stat rape are completely different from state to state. Why is someone from KS (16) different from someone from Arizona (18)? VA is only 15. What makes them so mature?

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

In your case, I would definitely recommend use of a very skilled immigration attorney. You need to have everything exactly right and be prepared to show an unblemished record since then. If you have any real problems, it would probably help to consider congressional help. However, any congressman or senator will have to either know you or have some strong personal recommendations from others before they would attempt to influence your case

In the usa its strange, in some states girls at 15 can legally marry, but can't legally have sex with someone more than 2 or 3 years apart . So if the girl is 15 and the guy is 18, he can go to jail, even if the girl says she wanted to do it, it breaks a state law, (they dont care if she wanted to or not). Its amazing really the rules we have in the usa , by most countries standards this is stupid.

In Texas a few years ago.

My cousin was 16 and married his girlfriend of age 13.

About 4 months into the marriage he was killed by a drunk driver.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

i am a convicted Sex Offender ( position of trust... ) that has filed an I129F petition (08/2007) and i have yet to be approved/denied. earlier this year i went for Biometrics but every time i contact the uscis i get the usual " wait...45days, 6 months... " reply. i am considering all avenues to get a favorable response to my petition and will be glad to discuss your ideas and plans.

i will state here and now that breaking the law is wrong and having sexual contact with persons who are not able to legally consent is wrong. i also realize that there is always cause and effect, you break the law then you must pay for the crime! there is also a considerable social taboo regarding Sex Offenders, especially those involving rape and/or underage pers ons, that has become the scarlet letter of the day. now i could go into all the ramifications of this issue but let me focus on this idea, that once you are convicted of a crime, serve your sentence and satisfy the courts decisions, you are not in jeopardy of being convicted of that same crime again. however, we all know that Sex Offenders are the scapegoats of the day and that this is a very clouded issue to deal with. if you are a violent predator, you continue to act out and hurt others making more and more victims and you willingly break the law then it stands to reason that you will/deserve to be punished in this life and the after life. with this all said my point is that if i have paid my debt to society then why does our federal goverment feel the need or have the right to decide whom i will choose as my wife? who has ultimately given this power to the uscis or secretary of homeland security? this is still America! we must stand up for our rights or we may loose them...

The federal government has not decided whom you will choose as your wife. They have enacted a law that may result in your choice necessitating you live with your chosen wife in another country. Then disturbing part of this to me is that the AWA has effectively exacted an additional "sentence" or punishment not originally imposed by the judge. I don't like this for anybody or anything and I'm glad people are challenging the consitutionality of such a law, regardless of how anybody feels about sex offenders in general.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

The federal government has not decided whom you will choose as your wife. They have enacted a law that may result in your choice necessitating you live with your chosen wife in another country. Then disturbing part of this to me is that the AWA has effectively exacted an additional "sentence" or punishment not originally imposed by the judge. I don't like this for anybody or anything and I'm glad people are challenging the consitutionality of such a law, regardless of how anybody feels about sex offenders in general.

That argument would make sense if immigration were a constitutional right.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Sentences include impact on both rights and privileges. I haven't mentioned rights in my statements. AWA impacts a US Citizen's privilege in a way not imposed by any original sentence/judgment based on existing law at the time of the crime. The US Constitution addresses both rights and privileges.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Why is It not a constitutional right of a us citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.