Delicia

need advice on fastest process

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband and I went to an Infopass this morning to make some inquiries. The woman who talked to us was not very helpful or knowledgeable. I think she has experience with dealing with the work related visas and was clueless on the marraige based immigration. Anyway, here are our choices as far as I can tell and I am trying to determine which would actually be faster:

1) Continue on current path of IR-1 through Montreal. This would also require us to file a I-94 extension ($300) which may or may not be approved and if it was denied, husband would have to wait out the rest of the process in Canada. We have our NOA-2 and case number from MTL. I also got through to NVC last night and received the IIN so I can pay the fees online whenever I am ready. We have all our paperwork together except we are missing a translation of my husband's Chilean birth certificate which should be pretty easy to get here in Phoenix. After reading the new/improved shortcuts guide, I am thinking 1-2 months at NVC then 3-4 months waiting for a Montreal interview, for a total wait of ~6 months. End result = 10 year unconditional green-not green card.

2) Apply for AOS before my husband's current I-94 expires at the end of this month. No visa extension is required as the AOS implies extension. The upfront fees are the norm, $1010 and the fees for work authorization. The upside is that husband can wait here with me in U.S. while in process. I also couldn't get a clear answer from our Infopass appointment if this process would result in a 10 year greencard or a 2 year conditional greeencard as she didn't know.

If we started today, which process would be faster?

Thanks for your help.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow that's a tough call. I think you have the potential timeline for the CR1/IR1 right. There can be hold ups at NVC (don't forget to send a photo copy of your Husband's Canadian PR card with your DS-230 btw - if you decide to go that route).

Also, as you already know from reading reviews, there can always be a hold up for additional checks after the interview.

Now the AOS, i'm not really that familiar with it. With an adjustment of status - is there no problem with that fact that he had immigrant intent before he arrived?

That said, my Sister applied last year for her Husband for AOS, they applied in July, he got his work authorization in Dec or Jan and interviewed in February and it was approved, so 7 months from application to approval.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Timeline

I would think that because he obviously had immigrant intent already, that an AOS application could potentially be denied, and with no avenue of appeal, he'd be deported and then you'd be back applying for Canadian immigration for yourself.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Well, in talking with the semi-informed woman at CIS yesterday, she said that we definitely could go the AOS route since we have an approved petition already. We explained that he just 'happened' to be in the U.S. when the application was approved, which is technically the truth, and she had no problem with that. My husband is in the country legally and his original intent to apply for AOS after arrival was obviously not there since the I-130 was approved 4 days after he arrived in the U.S. Unless the U.S. can show my husband is psychic and knew the petition was going to be approved when it was, I don't think USCIS can make the fraud argument.

Thoughts?

We are leaning more towards the AOS process. Unfortunately, the guides on this forum are all geared for the K-1/K-3 types who have had interviews and medicals done prior to AOS, so we are trying to figure it out still.

My blog

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

My husband is in the country legally and his original intent to apply for AOS after arrival was obviously not there since the I-130 was approved 4 days after he arrived in the U.S.

So he arrived 4 days before the I-130 was APPROVED? As soon as you FILE the I-130 you are showing that the individual has the intent of immigrating, and according to your timeline that was done 8 months prior to his arrival in the US. I think you'd have a difficult time persuing the AOS route and you risk having them deported and barred from the US permanently even for a visit. If you somehow still prefer AOS, I'd consult an experienced, reputable immigration lawyer as there's a lot at stake!

Unfortunately, the guides on this forum are all geared for the K-1/K-3 types who have had interviews and medicals done prior to AOS, so we are trying to figure it out still.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Edited by badspellor

Timeline
Well, in talking with the semi-informed woman at CIS yesterday, she said that we definitely could go the AOS route since we have an approved petition already. We explained that he just 'happened' to be in the U.S. when the application was approved, which is technically the truth, and she had no problem with that. My husband is in the country legally and his original intent to apply for AOS after arrival was obviously not there since the I-130 was approved 4 days after he arrived in the U.S. Unless the U.S. can show my husband is psychic and knew the petition was going to be approved when it was, I don't think USCIS can make the fraud argument.

Thoughts?

We are leaning more towards the AOS process. Unfortunately, the guides on this forum are all geared for the K-1/K-3 types who have had interviews and medicals done prior to AOS, so we are trying to figure it out still.

The whole intent thing is hard to say really isn't it. I mean, my BIL had been in the U.S. for 8 years on a NAFTA visa when they applied for his AOS - they had been to Canada the month before and then applied the next month - one would think that they could certainly have accused him of having immigrant intent when he entered the U.S..

It's such a gray area, but Reba brings up a good point - it is a gamble. Chances are it won't have a negative impact and chances are he won't get sent packing to the great white north - however, as she mentioned, it's a possibility so of course you have to ponder that a bit - which you obviously already have.

Timeline
My husband is in the country legally and his original intent to apply for AOS after arrival was obviously not there since the I-130 was approved 4 days after he arrived in the U.S.

So he arrived 4 days before the I-130 was APPROVED? As soon as you FILE the I-130 you are showing that the individual has the intent of immigrating, and according to your timeline that was done 8 months prior to his arrival in the US. I think you'd have a difficult time persuing the AOS route and you risk having them deported and barred from the US permanently even for a visit. If you somehow still prefer AOS, I'd consult an experienced, reputable immigration lawyer as there's a lot at stake!

Unfortunately, the guides on this forum are all geared for the K-1/K-3 types who have had interviews and medicals done prior to AOS, so we are trying to figure it out still.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Per the link:

You must qualify to file for an I-130 in the US. Not everyone does, and in some cases doing so can be considered fraud and result in being deported and banned from re-entry into the US for a period of time. If you attempt to file and you do not qualify your legal status in the US can be placed in jeopardy. J1 Visa holders will almost always require a waiver and should consult with an immigration lawyer or the USCIS for more information. If you have any doubt, consult an immigration attorney.

If your fiance/fiancee came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, and you are not yet married, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the K-1 visa should be filed (using an I-129f) instead of the I-130 to avoid a denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

The above conditions are serious and can result in the separation of families for many years if not taken seriously

Note, an I-130 was submitted prior (very far prior). My argument was we were not intending to file AOS when he entered on this most recent visit. The approval of the previously submitted I-130 during the time that he was here as a vistor just made that option available. He was an admitted intending immigrant when he entered the country on his B1/B2 visa and was still allowed to enter.

My blog

Timeline

Since your both together now, why not try and find a good immigration attorney and see what they have to say. Many offer free consults. So maybe see 2 or 3 different ones and see what they say. if they all say the same thing, its a good chance its workable. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, you have been asking around about him being able to AOS for some time now before he entered the US. You made it clear it was your intent to do it that way.

And I know thats not something that USCIS would know and it on you to prove he didnt have the intent, but I think your playing with fire.

You should continue with the cr1/ir1. But thats just my thoughts.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
Honestly, you have been asking around about him being able to AOS for some time now before he entered the US. You made it clear it was your intent to do it that way.

And I know thats not something that USCIS would know and it on you to prove he didnt have the intent, but I think your playing with fire.

You should continue with the cr1/ir1. But thats just my thoughts.

co-sign

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Hm.....no offense, but you are basically saying these things from what I gather:

a) I am sick of waiting and..

b ) I know what I am doing is illegal, but how can I make it look like it's legal?

:lol: That is just what I gather from this post. It doesn't matter if it wasn't you intent to apply for AOS because the facts are you already started out by applying for the I-130.

Why can't you just wait and why are you in such a hurry? I realize you want to be with your loved one but why are you trying to find a faster route when you already decided with CR-1. Maybe I am just a little confused here. Did you get married to him while he was on his B1/B2?

To answer your question about the green card it is conditional for two years.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Im not certain on the whole story,but they had problems trying to immigrate to Canada, so this process has been going on for a few years

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I don't understand where you get that this is 'illegal.' Please provide links/documentation.

No, we did not get married while he was on a B1/B2. We have been married for almost 3 years and we were married in Ontario after I moved there (sheesh.. catch up) Additionally, a 10 year unconditional green card is available through the AOS process, per my conversation with CIS today.

I talked to CIS on the phone and the AOS option is definitely viable. There are no negative ramifications with this route any more so than staying with the IR-1 through Montreal route. Both have the same probability of being denied. Seriously, what is the difference between going the AOS route or him sitting here on a 6 month visa while the process finishes, finishing with him flying back to Montreal for only the purpose of an interview? The end result is about the same time frame for both, so timewise, we are not circumventing anything.

People seriously need to take a minute and step down off their soap boxes.

Good luck with figuring out what's for dinner.

Edited by Delicia

My blog

Timeline

You asked us for advice. Next time keep it to yourself.

You seem to have all the answers you want anyways.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

disregard!!! Not my problem, will just cease to post on this subject,lol

Edited by flames9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.